Night Flying 70% Alpha Jet Mk2 - build log

T-Richard

Night Flying 70% Alpha Jet Mk2 - Completed!!!

Hi guys,

I printed some plans for this guy

alpha.jpg

I printed them with 70% scale. I am also gonna string up some LEDs inside and use the turnigy nav light kit to bring realistic strobe and glowing light and make some sort of engine nacelles.
I'll keep it white withe a few red tripes and try to go for a star trek look like this

Delta_Flyer.jpg

I am about to start building...

My hesitation is which motor to put into it. I have a 2206 emax 2300 kv with 12 amp plush or a radjet 800 motor (1850kv) both with 6x4 props. the batteries will be 3s 1000 or 1500 if i need more weight for CG

What are your thoughts?

Build pics to follow

Last edited:

T-Richard

Started the build.

Cut up the plans
20150629_191330.jpg

Put a bit of color on the bottom for orientation for day flying

20150630_193257.jpg

Made a few mock fitting to get an idea on where to light it up etc. 20150630_163951.jpg 20150630_193459.jpg

Have you run your motor/ESC combo through something like ecalc to see what to expect from a watts/amps standpoint? I am thinking your ESC might be a shade undersized, but without complete motor specs, it's hard to say. But maybe it's a proven combo, and I am talking through my hat...

T-Richard

Wired the internal lighting 20150701_093052.jpg 20150701_081106.jpg

Next is installing the servos and motor mount before I figure out where to put all my nav lights etc

I decided on running the radjet motor with a 5x5 and a 25 amp plush

The 12 amp plush is a good fit for the emax motor so keeping those 2 together

T-Richard

Short maiden, will fly again at dusk.
-

First impression. Great design, poor execution on my part. 80% would have been better. my motor is a bit weak for it and the plane too heavy. The build wasn't perfect as the corners and parts fit weren't perfect. Partly this is because the plan is for score and fold depron not DTFB.

For now it flies, so i'll try again at dusk.

I would make another at 80% and run a larger prop or something and skip the night flying gear in favor of a larger night flying airplane. maybe the upcoming FT sportster?

However I am not done with the Alpha jet. I'll fly this one into the ground then build a light 80% one and have fun with it.

Last edited:

Outtatime

Night Flying 70% Alpha Jet Mk2 - Completed!!!

Hi guys,

I printed some plans for this guy

View attachment 49570

I printed them with 70% scale. I am also gonna string up some LEDs inside and use the turnigy nav light kit to bring realistic strobe and glowing light and make some sort of engine nacelles.
I'll keep it white withe a few red tripes and try to go for a star trek look like this

View attachment 49571

I am about to start building...

My hesitation is which motor to put into it. I have a 2206 emax 2300 kv with 12 amp plush or a radjet 800 motor (1850kv) both with 6x4 props. the batteries will be 3s 1000 or 1500 if i need more weight for CG

What are your thoughts?

Build pics to follow
Do you still have the plans ? The links don't work.