Northrop P-61 Build-Log designed by the 13th Squadron

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I finished putting #2 together last night. I learned that black foamboard and sticky blue tape don't play well together. Pull it off slowly or lose a lot of paper in the process!

Attachments

• 20211214_071527.jpg
    20211214_071527.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I know, the table is a mess.
Looks amazing, FoamyDM! The level of detail on that cockpit is fantastic. How do you plan on building the canopies?
I give all the credit to the Paper Modelers who did the hard work. That is a Good Question. I was thinking of building Cages from Bamboo Skewers and thread CA'd. then wrapping the overhead projector sheet overtop and gluing/taping

or, Landscaping wire hoops with cardstock backed black paper. you did number 2 fast! it looks amazing. How does it fly. should I be on the lookout for anything?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'd love to see a picture of your canopy when you get it finished. Folks that can put in clear canopies have my respect.

As for mine, probably won't get to fly it for a while- we are in a cold, wet weather pattern here in the PNW.

I CAN say that #1 flew great. Differential thrust means no funky hand launches, and those little A motors aren't too hot to handle. Probably need some elevator trim but that should be it. My mistake was using a cheap lemon receiver with antennas right next to the battery- I lost signal a few times...the final time into my neighbor's fence.

FoamyDM

@CrshNBrn - PNW - Where's that? (Podunk No-Where?)
Where did your battery sit? up front? that fancy cabin means no battery there. but there is *just* enough room for a 2200 3S up in the nose. (thank you for that Jack! @Niez13 )

FoamyDM

I finished putting #2 together last night. I learned that black foamboard and sticky blue tape don't play well together. Pull it off slowly or lose a lot of paper in the process!
Yup, good lesson! I learned it too

OliverW

Legendary member
I'd love to see a picture of your canopy when you get it finished. Folks that can put in clear canopies have my respect.

As for mine, probably won't get to fly it for a while- we are in a cold, wet weather pattern here in the PNW.

I CAN say that #1 flew great. Differential thrust means no funky hand launches, and those little A motors aren't too hot to handle. Probably need some elevator trim but that should be it. My mistake was using a cheap lemon receiver with antennas right next to the battery- I lost signal a few times...the final time into my neighbor's fence.
Yeah it's been nasty rain up here. Lots of ice this morning too

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Where did your battery sit? up front? that fancy cabin means no battery there. but there is *just* enough room for a 2200 3S up in the nose. (thank you for that Jack! @Niez13 )

I wound up using some tiny 850 3s batteries with an extra 2 oz of lead up as far to the front on that long nose as my short wires could reach. If you could fit a 2200 in there, that would be better.

FoamyDM

Oooh, Elmer's glue cover
I wound up using some tiny 850 3s batteries with an extra 2 oz of lead up as far to the front on that long nose as my short wires could reach. If you could fit a 2200 in there, that would be better.
Thank you. I am about to have to put this project on a short pause until Saturday. my Families Xmas is upon me.

Niez13

Elite member
Thanks! Yeah the battery goes in the nose. Are you making the nose removable? I am just trying to figure out how you say a 3s 2200mah will fit in their with all of the amazing, awesome, cool, scale, cockpit detailing. :LOL: Looking great so far!

FoamyDM

Below is a series of photos showing the cockpit (backed with poster board) then removed to reveal that only the battery leads and xt60 are under the canopy section. The batt sits just at the former at the canopy front. Then you see the nose released a bit to show it comes off. I almost forgot, there is one photo of the nose gear bay
IMG_20211215_142227666.jpg
IMG_20211215_142236717.jpg
IMG_20211215_142322403.jpg
IMG_20211215_142426111.jpg
IMG_20211215_142625804.jpg
IMG_20211215_165421091.jpg

FoamyDM

I wasn't kidding when I mention that I loved this plane and I thought your model did it justice. I thought I should do it justice