Off to a bad start but not giving up.

I've been into RC cars my whole life and decided to learn to fly. I had no idea what I was getting into and bought a Sport cub s2 to learn on. I took to it (with SAFE) kinda easily. So I decided I wanted something bigger and I'll admit, I jumped the gun and built a swappable spitfire that I totally wrecked. I decided to try again and built the swappable simple scout. This time I even installed the FT Aura. I took it out to maiden it today and I just couldn't get it in the air... Closest thing to flying was about 20 feet before it tanked to the ground. I feel like I have no control, I can't make it climb or anything. I know it snot something that anyone could answer without seeing the problem, but it's kinda disheartening to build these beautiful models only to crash them without ever getting them in the air. Should I put foam board building on the back burner and invest in a bigger trainer with SAFE such as an apprentice, or should I keep at it. We have a local RC plane club but it's not very active so I really don't have anyone around to go to for advice. At this point I have a complete Power Pack B and Power Pack C along with the aura 5. Does anyone have any advice to lift my spirits or maybe recommend another speed build kit that might work for me?

Bo123

Elite member
I've been into RC cars my whole life and decided to learn to fly. I had no idea what I was getting into and bought a Sport cub s2 to learn on. I took to it (with SAFE) kinda easily. So I decided I wanted something bigger and I'll admit, I jumped the gun and built a swappable spitfire that I totally wrecked. I decided to try again and built the swappable simple scout. This time I even installed the FT Aura. I took it out to maiden it today and I just couldn't get it in the air... Closest thing to flying was about 20 feet before it tanked to the ground. I feel like I have no control, I can't make it climb or anything. I know it snot something that anyone could answer without seeing the problem, but it's kinda disheartening to build these beautiful models only to crash them without ever getting them in the air. Should I put foam board building on the back burner and invest in a bigger trainer with SAFE such as an apprentice, or should I keep at it. We have a local RC plane club but it's not very active so I really don't have anyone around to go to for advice. At this point I have a complete Power Pack B and Power Pack C along with the aura 5. Does anyone have any advice to lift my spirits or maybe recommend another speed build kit that might work for me?
If you want another FT speed build kit, the FT tutor is a really really good plane as I have heard. If you don't, I am not sure as to why the scout wouldn't be flying. A video might help.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Should I put foam board building on the back burner and invest in a bigger trainer with SAFE such as an apprentice, or should I keep at it. We have a local RC plane club but it's not very active so I really don't have anyone around to go to for advice. At this point I have a complete Power Pack B and Power Pack C along with the aura 5. Does anyone have any advice to lift my spirits or maybe recommend another speed build kit that might work for me?
Nooooooo! Don't give up. The normal learning curve is:
Build, fly, crash
Build, fly, crash
Build, fly, fly, crash
Build, fly, fly, fly, fly, crash
Try the tutor or download the plans for the tiny trainer and try it. Pay special attention to the servo set up and the CG. I'd recommend the DR1 but it takes a Power Pack F.
You're almost there, you CAN do it.

It took me a while to figure this out, but it's a big rule of thumb for me: No matter how much time, effort and attention I put into it, it's still just a toy plane I made from craft supplies. ;)

If some of us knuckleheads can build & fly a plane, you certainly can! I bet your next plane will fly great. Seriously.

A simple plane that's light and straight and dialed in, with the correct CG, will fly pretty easy for you (without a flight stabilizer.) Then it's just down to pilot error. ;) Don't be afraid of something with "trainer" in its name. That just means it's less squirrely and has gentler flight characteristics, which personally I like.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Nooooooo! Don't give up. The normal learning curve is:
Build, fly, crash
Build, fly, crash
Build, fly, fly, crash
Build, fly, fly, fly, fly, crash
Try the tutor or download the plans for the tiny trainer and try it. Pay special attention to the servo set up and the CG. I'd recommend the DR1 but it takes a Power Pack F.
You're almost there, you CAN do it.
This is really good advice, I can't even remember how many maidens went bad but eventually I came around. Practicing on a flight simulator helps too. Giving up is not an option!:LOL::LOL:

SSgt Duramax

Yeah, don't give up. Stand back and analyze the problem, search for what fixed that problem for other people, and go from there.

As stated above, a stabilizer if not set up adequately can make things worse.

To me, personally, it sounds like you either have a center of gravity or balance issue (CG) or you don't have enough throws, or a combo of the two.

It could also be a weight thing. I only weight my stuff occasionally for reference, or if I am scratch building with a goal in mind. It isn't something I obsess over like some, but it is occasionally a good thing to check, especially if something feels heavy.

If you aren't using adams brand DTFB, and are using something like Elmers or Ghostline foam, you could be in for a rough time. Some of the foamboard weighs double what the Adams stuff does, and can lead to a whole host of problems. It feels and looks nice, but it is HEAVY! This happened to me when I got back "into the game" and I just wasn't paying attention. The foam board I had previously bought from walmart worked great, but in the years I was out of it, they changed the brand they carried, each board weighed more than double the amount. Definitely check you foamboard too. Here is a link to my failure.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/tiny-trainer-too-heavy.68421/

There are tons of good planes you can build with a b/c pack. Racheroo just made a sig kadet, and there are tons more. Take the time to peruse the resources.

If you are looking for a good second plane, I think the FT P-40 is very easy to fly for a warbird looking plane, I would say it is advanced beginner to early intermediate. It has a huge speed envelope (you can fly it really slow, or really fast) and easy to land and super docile. You could probably fly it on a B pack (though a C would be preferable) and keep it light and floaty, and if you want more out of it, you can load a bigger motor and ESC in it and go 60-70mph. I just ran one with a 3536 1200 KV motor and a 10x7 prop on a 60A esc and it really cooked!

Last edited:
In my opinion, it sounds like it is very nose heavy.. in other words, it just wants to plummet into the ground.

I really think this has been the major problem. My RTF sports cub just lifts out of my hand and is super floaty. Both speed build kits I've built just seem to want to stay on the ground.

SSgt Duramax

I'm thinking about grabbing the Tutor next. I would buy the explorer, but it's no longer a kit sadly.
The explorer has tons of things that aren't very beginner friendly, like if you don't get the thrust angle just right, and it is hard to get the CG far enough forward. Mine would only balance out with a 4500 mah battery. If you want an easy to build pusher that flies well, I can point you in the right direction. I have a couple of designs that a 7 year old can fly.

The explorer has tons of things that aren't very beginner friendly, like if you don't get the thrust angle just right, and it is hard to get the CG far enough forward. Mine would only balance out with a 4500 mah battery. If you want an easy to build pusher that flies well, I can point you in the right direction. I have a couple of designs that a 7 year old can fly.

I thought about maybe building a pusher style wing next. Looked into the versa, and thought maybe build the tractor style first. But I also hear wings are unforgiving.

SSgt Duramax

I thought about maybe building a pusher style wing next. Looked into the versa, and thought maybe build the tractor style first. But I also hear wings are unforgiving.
They can be. I have a wing that I like, but it is fast. It is made from EPP so it is nearly indestructible. $45 for the kit isnt bad. I wouldnt call it beginner friendly, and there is a learning curve launching it, but this is it.

https://www.racedayquads.com/products/reptile-s800-sky-shadow-820mm-wing-kit

This pusher is easy enough to fly and set up, it even survived a nose first wreck into cement.

https://www.instructables.com/EZ-Pelican-Durable-Easy-to-Build-and-Fly-Radio-Con/

This is my daughters current plane, easy doesnt begin to describe how it flies. Super easy to fly. I am relatively experienced and i still find it to be a good, relaxing, fun flyer. But it is kind of fugly.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/the-fish-a-scratch-built-slow-flier

Tench745

Master member
Why don't you tell us a little about your previous build attempts, maybe we can help narrow down some of the difficulty you were having. What were your motor and prop? What was the battery? What's the flying weight and where was the CG?

One of the hardest things about any plane you build yourself is that the flight experience is closely tied to how well you build the plane. If you get a detail wrong sometimes it's a big deal and the plane flies horribly, but sometimes the detail isn't critical and if flies fine. Until you build enough or have someone show you what is and isn't important it's harder to know if it's right before you fly. Speed build kits help eliminate some of the areas you can make mistakes, but there are still enough to trip people up occasionally.

An important question is, do you like building or flying more? Or, would you like to improve your building skills or flying skills more? It sounds like you're not that excited about the building at the moment and are still looking to expand your flying skills. If that is the case, I would recommend going with something ready to fly until you are interested in tackling the build side again. And when you want to get back into building we'll be here to help you through that too.

I built the blunt-nose versawing as my fourth or fifth plane. It was loads of fun, can slow down to float around, and can climb for the heavens with the right motor and prop. I actually built mine to practice gliding. I would often give it full power, climb nearly vertical, then cut the motor and glide for as long as I could. If you keep the throws to a minimum the Versa isn't a squirrely handful, but I probably wouldn't recommend it as a first or second plane because wings are just a little more sensitive to small changes in setup because they don't have a tail to help stabilize the plane.

Some things to keep in mind if you decide to go with a wing:
Wings are more sensitive to center-of-gravity changes than other planes, and the pusher configuration makes it a little harder to get the CG far enough forward sometimes. I have not flown the tractor version; I suspect it's easier to balance.
Wings need reflexed ailerons to fly well. Don't forget this (the versa build video mentions this)
If you fly a wing you will eventually need to learn to hand launch it. This isn't hard per-se and there are lots of videos showing different methods, but it is a thing that will take a little practice to get right.
Wings don't necessarily self-correct the same as a standard plane will when you let go of the controls, so you need to be a little more on top of it. That said, I remember the Versa being pretty forgiving.

For anyone still keeping up, I decided to go ahead and order the Tutor SBK tonight. Should be in by the weekend so I'll be able to spend Sunday or Monday building it. Does anyone have any advice upfront? I plan on building it with either the B or C power pack I have from the previous builds and I have a 2200 mah 3s lipo battery. I'd prefer to use the B pack for slower controlled flight, but I'm not opposed to C. Also probably going to humble myself a little and build it as a 3 channel at first and work up to Ailerons.

Battery800

Elite member
I would say B pack for right now? you have a good plan. I remember last year (or two now I guess) when I just got into flying and got really frustrated. Just needed to step back go back to basics, instead of building whatever I want to