One Small Step

SkyEye

Hello, My fathers co-worker so graciously gave me a Hobbico StarFire 40 ARF, a Great Planes J-3 Piper cub, a Satio EA-50 4 stroke engine, a German Webra motor and a Futaba 72.59 transmitter. I take he wants to get me into Liquid fuel aircraft. Any tips on any of these planes would be very helpful. Thank you.

The Starfire looks like it would be a fast flyer, but hard to say... One of my favorite planes is an old Hobbico Avistar of about the same vintage, and it's a great flying plane. I don't really know anything about the Starfire. I think that Hobbico makes some decent planes, but I have no specific knowledge of the Starfire...

The Cub, will fly like a Cub. What is the wingspan on the Cub? The EA-50 might haul it around if it's less than 80" span. I am a huge Cub fan, so that would probably be the first one I would put in the air.

What size is the webra?

Be sure to check and double check all the control surfaces, and plastic bits. My Avistar had some brittle control horns, and when the elevator horn broke in flight, it was a bad day....

I'd probably toss the old radio and fly them with 2.4. I am sure the radio batteries are no good at all.

SkyEye

The wingspan on the Cub is approximately 76 inches. The webra engine says 10 ccm, Black Head 61. I was going to get an Aurora 9 to fly these.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Nice haul.

As a rule of thumb take the displacement of a 4 stroke and multiply by .7 to get equivalent glow/gas displacement.
Your .50 is a .35 glow/gas equivalent.

Should fly the cub well - will sound nice, too.
Here's an electrified cub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTvh7y0WwVY

Webra's are known as nice engines, German quality.

It is a good move to go 2.4GHz, Aurora's are David W's fave.