Painting Over Packing Tape

rdallaire

I recently painted one of my planes (Bloody Wonder) and noticed that the paint came off very easily on the parts that were reinforced with tape.

I have a FT Blunt Nose Versa (waterproof) kit coming in soon and want to use tape to reinforce the wing joints but I also want to paint over it when done. Some of my planes seem to be fine when I minwax over them but I would rather not minwax the entire plane since I am getting the waterproof board.

Has anyone experimented with the best ways to fix this problem?

I am thinking of trying a few experiments to find a quick, efficient and good consistent way to do it.

• Control - clear packing tape on foam then spray paint over
  • Reinforced packing tape on foam and paint over it
  • Sand the tape a little bit and then paint over it
  • minwax just the taped parts and then paint over it
  • spray a clear coat on the tape before colored paint

Has anyone tried these methods or other methods?
Do I just need to do multiple coats to get the paint on the tape to stay?

kacknor

Build another!
The simplest solution is to paint first. A little touch up may be required after, edges and such but it solves all kinds of issues. It's easy, parts are flat and masking is a breeze. Assembly is the same, but you see a completed air frame coming together and not something that still has work to do on. Best of all, no painting over tape. ;)

JD

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Lightly sand the tape to take the shine away from the tape. The paint will adhere better to the roughed up surface.

kulens

My trick with packing tape is to first add a layer of varnish (Minwax), on top of the tape, paint the plane and then add a second layer of varnish on top of the paint to protect your paint.

troppo

I dont know how this will react with foam but a coat of ETCH PRIMER will stick and give a great base for your paint, you can get acid etch or vinyl etch, i would think vinyl etch would be the better of the two. This stuff sticks like sh!t to a blanket and will give you a great surface (after a scuff with a scotchbrite) for your paint

Michael Anderson

I've found it alot better to use the "Brown packing tape" it bonds well to all FT builds it resembles the FT Brown foam and takes paint like a charm and even better with a little "scuffing up!" I suggest you Get it if you can! GL and happy building.