Painting Tips

raptor3dpilot

So I have two Depron/MPF (Model Plane Foam) aircraft that are just about ready for paint. Looking for some suggestions on how not to screw them up. ;) HAHA. I've spent a lot of time building them straight, prep sanding every inch, and now it's time to paint.

First question, as of now, these are just airframes (RCP F-22v2, RCP F-18v3) with no electronics. Should I paint before the electronics install or just install the electronics and then cover them with tape prior to painting? I worry about hot gluing the servos down directly to paint and having them come off due to the paint peeling from the foam. Maybe I should just cover the servo locations with a square piece of tape, paint, then install... hmm.

I don't have access to an airbrush system nor the funds to buy one, so I was planning on just using Testors rattlecan paint to paint them. I'm thinking a light coat first and then finish it off with a heavier coat after it dries. Is that the correct process?

Decals are next, I'm sticking with the standard AF markings for the F-22 and Blue Angels theme for the F-18. Anyone have suggestions on decal paper that works well with an inkjet printer?

I've built and flown several F-22s, F-117, FT Spitfires, and other aircraft, so that is the reason I am spending a lot of building time on making these "pretty". lol

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Test on scrap foam FIRST! That will tell you if your paint and technique will work as desired.

The tape over the area where glue will be applied is what I would do.

Thurmond

DDSFlyer

I'm interested in what paints are best for this dollar tree foam board? I was going to make a FTDuster and was wondering if I could just run down to the local Walmart or home depot to buy a couple of rattle cans myself. I have only used some expensive paint from the LHS to paint my minwaxed bloody wonder. I'm looking for a cheaper can of paint that works

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
After the minwax massage, the cheap rattle can paint works well for large areas.

keep in mind, some of the cheaper rattle can paints are translucent -- the base color will mix with the top coat. as always test on scrap, including paint A over B and B over A. Paints sold as "2-n-1" or "one coat" or "Paint + Primer" are typically thicker and opaque, and can make a nice finish if you're careful with it.