Prepping Balsa Prior to Covering

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A few us are currently building from balsa (not all planes are made from foam!) and one discussion turned to prepping balsa prior to covering it. For the planes I've built and covered I have only sanded the balsa and cleaned off the dust before covering, and have never sealed the wood. Others use various sealing compounds prior to covering.

My covering work has always been satisfactory to me, but it has never been what could be considered silky smooth and perfect. With the thinner covering such as SoLite I can usually see the grain of the wood. This isn't a big deal to me, I'm still relatively new at building and figure the plane will eventually be brought home in a basket anyway, so why spend the extra time? Well, maybe it doesn't take that much extra time or effort, and maybe the results will be worth it.

Time to experiment!

I've got the material on-hand to try three different sealing methods, sanding sealer, glue/water mix, and hair spray. All are various avenues in achieving the same results - locking the wood fibers in place so they can be sanded smooth while providing a very smooth finish to apply the covering to. There are probably dozens of other products to use, but this is what I've heard of and I happen to have the material currently to try all three of them.

I took a 2" wide strip of balsa and cut it into 2" squares. Using the same original piece of balsa should help avoid differences you'd find from one piece to another giving more consistent results. Each piece was marked on the back and the front was then sanded with 220 grit sandpaper. Two were put off to the side as they won't get any more work prior to covering. The remaining 8 were then sanded with 400 grit wet/dry paper, and again 2 were put off to the side. The 4 that were removed will be covered as-is without any sealing to see how they compare to the sealed wood. My thought is that if I can't see any real difference I probably won't bother sealing wood in the future.

2 of the pieces were sprayed with "Aussie Instant Freeze" hairspray and allowed to dry. They were then sanded with 400 grit and re-sprayed. Once thoroughly dry another light sanding will follow with 400 grit and they'll be ready to cover.

2 of the pieces were given a coat of Aero Gloss sanding sealer and allowed to dry. Then a quick sanding with 400 grit and another coat was added. Once thoroughly dry another light sanding with 400 will follow and they'll be ready to cover.

The last 2 pieces were covered with a 50/50 mixture of water and Titebond II wood glue and allowed to dry. These are currently taking the longest time to dry, but once done they'll be sanded with 400 grit and given another coat. After drying will be a light sanding with 400 grit and all will then be ready to cover.

If you are wondering why I'm using two blocks with each type of sealing material it's because I'm going to cover one of them with SoLite and one with regular weight covering material. The SoLite shows more imperfections from what I've seen as it is thinner and allows the grain of the wood to telegraph through.

Taking it one step further, each piece will be covered with a light and dark color, mainly in an attempt at being able to see the differences in a picture. The eventual pictures may not look different at all from one another, but I'll try my best. I'll also have the wife and kids do a blind rating from best to worst since I'm biased. I want the untreated wood to look every bit as good as the treated stuff, as that means less work for me in the future! :)

I may be doing this completely wrong or in a half-assed manner - if so, speak up now so I can fix/change things before going to far!

earthsciteach

Awesome experiment!

From what I've read, sealing the balsa is not only so that the surface is smooth prior to covering, but it also prevents the grain from raising after covering due to humidity, etc.

Maybe guys like pgerts and Nodd (lot of more experience with balsa) will weigh in with their thoughts.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Maybe long-term appearance as well. I can say that the planes I covered earlier this year handled the heat and humidity of the season with no noticeable changes.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Sealing also has the advantage of preventing warping. Purists who use dope generally dont do this as the dope itself will act as the sealer. Some opinions out there are to simply sand as the adhesive from the covering will not grab as much microscopic surface area and will pull loose over time much more easily with a cured and smoothed surface. Others say that its the grade of the balsa used. Skinning and other surfaces to have covering applied should be constructed with "contest" grade balsa. The value of it over cost, strength, ease of construction, etc are part of an entirely different discussion that would derail this thread in a hurry. I see the pros and cons of both but I look forward to the results of your experiment.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My first results are interesting, and I'll post pictures later today. From best to worst what I found was:

400 grit untreated balsa.
Sanding sealer.
220 grit untreated balsa.
Glue/Water mix.
Hairspray.

The 400 grit untreated is noticeably better than the others, but I think it's because of what I didn't do, so I'm going to re-test things. The problem I had on the treated pieces is that air bubbles would get trapped and were hard to remove, resulting in an uneven job. In the untreated wood the air was able to soak in (to an extent) to the wood. To address this I'm poking holes with a #11 blade into the wood before putting the covering on. I'll re-do the first pieces with the standard covering to see if this makes a difference.

More to come!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Here we go with Round 1 of the testing!

Starting things off, all of the pieces of balsa from one single sheet source, marked showing what they will get treated and covered with.

IMG_2487.JPG

To be honest, I really didn't have any good background in how to do this so it's trial & error. I applied the glue & water and found it stayed very thick on the sheet, so I let it soak in for a minute and then wiped off the excess. The sanding sealer (right side of this pic) started off kind of thick, but dried thin and even. The hairspray on the left was so thin I wasn't worried about it drying flat.

IMG_2490.JPG

All five pieces with Ultra Cote, standard thickness material. As stated above I'm not sure if I'd have gotten better results poking airholes into the wood or not. I guess it wouldn't have made that big of a difference, as the main thing I was looking for was a smooth finish with less visible woodgrain. I haven't done a lot of covering yet, and haven't done extensive research to know if the methods used to seal the wood will react differently with the heat of covering.

For the pictures I tried to get a reflection from my overhead light so you could see the smoothness (or lack of).

IMG_2492.JPG

My opinion for first place, 400 grit sanding only, no sealing of the grain.

IMG_2493.JPG

#2 was 400 grit sanding followed by two coats of sanding sealer.

IMG_2494.JPG

#3 is 220 grit sanding only, no sealer.

IMG_2495.JPG

#4 is 400 grit sanding followed by glue/water mix.

IMG_2496.JPG

#5 is 400 grit sanding followed by hair spray.

IMG_2497.JPG

Now we get into my favorite covering, the thinner SoLite. This stuff works great on smaller/lighter park fliers, but it isn't as strong as the previous covering. I've poked holes in it landing a glider on dry grass...

IMG_2499.JPG

#1 results, 400 grit sanding followed by hairspray.

IMG_2500.JPG

#2, 400 grit sanding without any sealer.

IMG_2501.JPG

#3, 220 grit sanding only, no sealer.

IMG_2502.JPG

#4, 400 grit sanding followed by glue/water mix.

IMG_2503.JPG

#5, 400 grit sanding followed by sanding sealer.

IMG_2504.JPG

Again this isn't necessarily a perfect experiment. I may have sanded too much on some pieces and not enough on others. Some coats of sealer may have needed more dry time, or one coat instead of two. But one thing that strikes me is that the 400 grit sanding without any sealer provided top 2 results with both types of covering. I don't know why, but it may be because the sealers needed more sanding to make them smooth. It may be from uneven sealer application. Or because the moon is full... For now, until further testing tells me otherwise I'll feel OK with myself for not sealing the wood prior to covering. :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yes, although I don't know that I sanded long enough. I used 400 grit, and again I'm not sure if that was the best option.

earthsciteach

Interesting. That is exactly what I am doing. I am not seeing grain in my covering (I'm ironing at this moment), but I am seeing every little bleeping imperfection that I didn't catch. ARGH!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Most likely you will be your own worst critic. I don't like some of the stuff I do, but as long as it flies! My Navion as a perfect example - looks bad close up but flies well and looks good doing it.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Not happy with the results on the heavier covering I'm starting it over. This time one coat if each sealer so I can be sure they are sanded about the same amount.

earthsciteach

Just finished my first wing. Not so happy with the result, but its better than I expected. This covering stuff is an art.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Do you shrink the covering with an iron or heat gun? I prefer the gun and do minor touch up with the iron.

earthsciteach

I used an iron to this point. I still need to induce wash-in. I think I'm going to have to use the heat gun for that. Keep in mind that my experience with covering is limited to covering my dollar tree foam board plane, patching my PT-17 Stearman, and covering the tail feathers and one wing on the sailplane. So, what I "do" is very fluid at the moment. LOL

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Round 2! Changing things up a little this time, I used one length of balsa and marked it into 2" x 2" squares, and just painted the sealants on between the marked lines. My thought in doing this was that it would help ensure I sanded each type equally. It also makes sure I use the same temp in installing the covering. I also did another step which was poking hundreds of tiny holes in the balsa after coating it, using a #11 blade. The idea here is that the numerous tiny holes allow the air to escape into/through the wood to avoid air bubbles. I did this on all but the far left panel.

First up is the full panel. Yellow is SoLite and Blue is the standard weight material.

IMG_2506.JPG

The first panel was not sealed - it was only sanded with 220 and 400 grit paper. This panel was also not poked with all the holes, and overall it turned out nice with no air bubbles.

IMG_2507.JPG

Next panel was coated with one coating of sanding sealer, poked with holes, and sanded with 400 grit. The SoLite has some small air bubbles and the standard weight is OK. I don't know if the air bubbles were from air trapped under the covering or if it is due to heating the sanding sealer.

IMG_2508.JPG

Next up is the middle section, the "control" section which was sanded with 220 and 400, punched for airholes, and sanded again with 400. This one turned out best for both coverings.

IMG_2509.JPG

Glue & water is next, and like the sanding sealer there are a number of small air bubbles, mainly with the SoLite. The standard weight covering also has a few bubbles. I'd rate this the worst of the bunch.

IMG_2510.JPG

Last is the hairspray sealer which has a few small bubbles in the SoLite, but the standard weight is fine.

IMG_2511.JPG

So with the changes I made, including letting the sealers cure longer I found that the standard weight material is more forgiving to surface prep. I'm also leaning more and more to believing that for me there is no advantage in sealing the balsa before covering. Granted there are still reasons to do it for some, but for my current needs I can get the best results with the least amount of work by not sealing the wood.

I'd like to know if I am missing the boat in how I did these tests. I don't know all the tricks but want to learn!