Question: How to bend foamboard

Jared3339

So I noticed on some the flight tests planes the foam board is actually bent into shape on some the fuselages. Now when I tried doing this myself I made huge creases in my foam bored and ended up destroying the peace. I tried to be as gentle as possible not to fold it but it just doesn't seem to work. I feel like this is a real simple answer to this and I'm just being stupid but any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
If you bend it it needs to be creased where the bend is going to be on the inside.
If you want a more rounded shape you need to take the paper off the inside and work it around a round object or pull it over the edge of something and while doing so pull slightly downward on it and may have to do it a few times to get it close to the rounded shape you want.
Don't try to make bends all at once but just a little bend at a time just like they do when the are folding over the leading edge.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
if you are using Adams Ready board it comes off fairly easy Just cut through only where you want it to peel off and it comes right up but if using Elmers board or something else I have heard that you may want to wet the side you want to peel off I don't know as I have only used Adams (called Dollar Tree on this forum).

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
if you only need a bend in a certain section only remove the paper in that area. Score the paper so that you only cut the paper. Cut on both sides of the area that needs to be bent and peel it away.