RCExplorer.se Baby Tricopter Kit Build Log

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Starting my second tricopter and am building a real winner this time. Flite Test famed David Windestål's Baby Tricopter. The kit can be found here: http://rcexplorer.se/product/babytricopter-kit-with-f3fc-racing-and-pdb/

Components in the kit
Baby Tricopter Frame with all hardware
F3FC Racing Flight Controller
BabyPDB

Servo (also purchased from RCExplorer.se)
Blue Bird – BMS-210DMH Servo with Feedback wire

The rest
LemonRX LM0037 Diversity Satellite RX
SunnySky Edge R2206 2100KV motors
DYS XS30A ESCs

The Build:
Step 1 Ordered the Frame and Servo
Completed

Step 2 Reclaiming the RX, ESCs, F3FC, and BabyPDB from my previous Trifecta build
Completed

Step 3 Waiting patiently for package to arrive from the other side of the pond

Cheers!
LitterBug

BabyTricopterKit.jpg

mmeyer

I look forward to your thoughts on this frame. I am considering this for my second mini-multicopter.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Finally got a bit of a start on the actual build tonight. Filed the edges, built up the tail mechanism, and started test fitting ESCs and wires. Really loving the simplicity of the build. There is an excellent and entertaining build video on RCExplorer.se that David put together.

TopView.jpg

TailView.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It sure feels satisfying the more the pile of pieces gets smaller and the final project gets bigger huh. More pics as you go please. I know I'm one to talk.. I didn't take as many as I wanted or should have on my last build either. I had planned on videoing the whole process but got too excited to keep track of cameras and such.

Hopefully you will have this up and flying with no set backs and we can see the maiden soon.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, smashing the Hellbender last weekend really threw a wrench in my build. Trying to retune a fresh rebuild (Owl Brain FPV RE1) , while rebuilding another (hellbender DTFc), and building yet another (Baby Tri).... Yeah. I'm too old to keep it all straight. LOL Haven't been able to multitask effectively since a nasty MTB wreck and concussion 20 years ago. Since I don't have em all together, I'll get more pics and do a better job at showing the details like I've done in the past. Anxious to get em all together before we loose much more daylight. Getting dark too soon already, and our indoor dome flying isn't supposed to start till around thanksgiving. Thanks!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The best I can hope for is a sympathetic cow that might be willing to open the barn for me to sneak in and fly during winter. Other then that I suppose a tiny whoop is in order to keep the fingers nimble. I only know 1 other person in my town so far that flies and he is a 15 year old kid with a Syma x5.

Sux not havin transportation to get places. If the shoe leather express doesn't go that way I ain't gettin there.

HawK86uk

Professional Amateur
That build is looking nice, really want to see a maiden of that - Seeing the build and your previous scrap build is really tempting me to get a baby tri, maybe scavenge my 2100kv Cobras, though not sure how they'd cope with 5" props or if the frame can handle 6" props (Doubtful considering the size).

Psy, I share your pain, I have two football (soccer) fields near me and then plain empty boring farmers fields. With winter fast approaching, i'm considering a TW for keeping busy because i'm bound to the shoe leather express too.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I got the flyin bug. I don't care what temps are as long as my finger can move and the winds are manageable I will be out flying. This past winter was awesome as I only missed last week in November thru late January for bad weather. I'll have plenty of stick time on sims and will probably end up with a tiny whoop around Christmas time for FPV in my tiny apartment.

A tri copter is on the to do list over time but they seem more fragile and requiring more maintenance then a quad with that mechanical tail so my skills need to be a bit better before attempting one.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I got the flyin bug. I don't care what temps are as long as my finger can move and the winds are manageable I will be out flying. This past winter was awesome as I only missed last week in November thru late January for bad weather. I'll have plenty of stick time on sims and will probably end up with a tiny whoop around Christmas time for FPV in my tiny apartment.

A tri copter is on the to do list over time but they seem more fragile and requiring more maintenance then a quad with that mechanical tail so my skills need to be a bit better before attempting one.

PsyBorg
I'm thinking about slamming together the Trifecta with DB's junk ESCs and sending it your way. Or I could just throw it all in a box and let you assemble it. It was not as bad off as initially thought. Some of the looseness in the frame was due to the front pivot bolts being loose (never fully tightened). It may not be perfect, but would be a good starting point into the TRIbe of TRI flyers...

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That build is looking nice, really want to see a maiden of that - Seeing the build and your previous scrap build is really tempting me to get a baby tri, maybe scavenge my 2100kv Cobras, though not sure how they'd cope with 5" props or if the frame can handle 6" props (Doubtful considering the size).

Psy, I share your pain, I have two football (soccer) fields near me and then plain empty boring farmers fields. With winter fast approaching, i'm considering a TW for keeping busy because i'm bound to the shoe leather express too.

It's a tight build. 5" is all the bigger that is going to fit unless you use some really really tall motors.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Much appreciated LB but I'm set on flying things for now. I got the new Alien I will be fawning over for at least a year I think. That's enough of a machine to keep me interested and my skills at the edge and progressing for quite a while. Besides if you haven't figured out I'm a tad OCD over things once I take interest hehe. That would just be fueling my issues :p

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I should probably stop reading this thread...or else I'm going to end up with a baby tricopter with my name on it in the mail.

Great build so far. Can't wait to see the maiden and videos following. I've been thinking about building a tricopter myself. Not because my quads aren't good, but more so to get the 'tricopter experience.'

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Working on Baby's tail

Too many irons in the fire the last week, but managed to get some time to work on Baby tonight.

Mock up shows just how tight a build this is. Still Trying to figure out best way to mount the tail ESC.
TightFit.jpg

The simplicity and quality of the tail mechanism is brilliant. Direct drive motor pivot, and zip ties to hold it all together. One long bolt for pivot and to secure the servo to the pivot.
TailServoMech.jpg
TailBottom.jpg

Went with the RCExplorer metal gear feedback servo. Price is the same with or without feedback, and I could not source it any cheaper. (they are currently on backorder) Four different color wires will make it a breeze to hook up to the FC.
FeedbackServo.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Id see if I could stand the ESC up against the bottom of that servo. Double side tape and a zip tie near the top of the servo should easily hold it. Specially if you run the power and control wires along the boom and zip tie them securely. Then the motor wires can go off to an angle with a slight twist so they go over the servo loop down the side like a U shape and back up to the motor. That way there is little resistance to the tilt motion and the little bit of a twist will act sort of like a self retracting harness.

If you are worried they will get pulled off the ESC in a crash you could zip tie the closer portion to one of the zip ties holding the servo to the frame to keep the bulk under the prop.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I ended up soldering the motor wires to the Tail ESC at a right angle instead of parallel. This looks to be the preferred way to do it for the frame and as it worked out, the motor wires are the perfect length to do it this way. I have all the ESCs clear shrink wrapped and affixed to the frame with double sided foam tape. I'll be soft wrapping them to the frame using electrical tape too.
TailESC.jpg

Got the basic motor electrical and FC done last night. I was able to update the BLHeli_S to 16.3 which is supposed to fix the desync issues some people were having. ESC endpoints set and calibrated. Just need to hook up RX so I can go through the tail calibration and get some LOS testing going.

Cheers!
LitterBug