recommendations for hot wire foam cutter

Belial2801

Hello, I am about to start this new project and I have some doubts about the tension I should apply and the size of the cable. I would like to know your recommendations or if what I plan to use for this project is correct. Here is a short list of what I will use:

Nicrom wire (75cm long)

Ac adapter 12v 1A

Here are my main doubts, for the length of the cable, would 12v and 1A be enough or should I add more amperage?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It depends on the thickness of the nicrome wire & how hot you want to run your wire. I think you will need more amps & possibly more volts.

Here is a good calculator https://jacobs-online.biz/calculators.htm

Look around on this site, lots of information for hot wire cutting.

I use several transformers for various cutting applications. I use a simple light dimmer switch on all of them. Pass the mains voltage through the dimmer to the transformer, then dial in the heat you want. I shoot for a dull red color if my nicrome. A bright red makes too large of a kerf.

Last edited:

Belial2801

It depends on the thickness of the nicrome wire & how hot you want to run your wire. I think you will need more amps & possibly more volts.

Here is a good calculator https://jacobs-online.biz/calculators.htm

Look around on this site, lots of information for hot wire cutting.

I use several transformers for various cutting applications. I use a simple light dimmer switch on all of them. Pass the mains voltage through the dimmer to the transformer, then dial in the heat you want. I shoot for a dull red color if my nicrome. A bright red makes too large of a kerf.
I forgot to mention that, I plan to use 32 awg but, I don't know if 28 awg nichrome works too,

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
19v 3A do you think is better?....
The calculator said with 32 guage you will need 30v at just over 1 amp. 28 guage wire 21v at 2 amps. I use 26 guage wire, so I would need 17v at 2.6 amps.

I use a 24v transformer & my light dimmer to dial it back, but then my wire is a bit longer than yours If I try to go to fast, I can easily break a wire. Im sure 32 guage wire will be quite easily broken.

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
#32 sounds a little thin to me, too. Start with something thicker. I agree with Merv - start with #26 or thicker.

Belial2801

#32 sounds a little thin to me, too. Start with something thicker. I agree with Merv - start with #26 or thicker.
#22 should be good? It is the thinnest one I found but I still have a little doubt about the voltage and amperage so, I will try different voltages.