Scale Build-Off-* Modified Pitts S1S

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
big plane-1.jpg

As you all know im a big fan and lover of biplanes, pitts by far. So after our latest airshow last weekend. I got the chance to watch a buddy of mine and fellow coworker fly in the show. His dream was to become a aerobatic pilot and fly in the shows. This was his first year and he has done absolutely awesome job and has come a long way.
So the other day we were talk about his plane and i brought up that i have plans on building a rc pitts some day. And his reply was well i can lend you my build plans for the plane if you would like some scale references.
Soooo it hit me scale build hmmm ill put it in the scale build off. And i also desided that it will be a replica of his modified pitts S1S (as seen in pic above)
And if any of you that like going to the airshows and get a chance see or talk with him go for it hes a very nice inspiring guy. You can also check out his sit for your enjoyment
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou..._d_0GIoASRK3W_pQA&sig2=W_HOjYKR-UUQTYAYqW4UDg

SPECS COMING SOON

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
View attachment 57436

As you all know im a big fan and lover of biplanes, pitts by far. So after our latest airshow last weekend. I got the chance to watch a buddy of mine and fellow coworker fly in the show. His dream was to become a aerobatic pilot and fly in the shows. This was his first year and he has done absolutely awesome job and has come a long way.
So the other day we were talk about his plane and i brought up that i have plans on building a rc pitts some day. And his reply was well i can lend you my build plans for the plane if you would like some scale references.
Soooo it hit me scale build hmmm ill put it in the scale build off. And i also desided that it will be a replica of his modified pitts S1S (as seen in pic above)
And if any of you that like going to the airshows and get a chance see or talk with him go for it hes a very nice inspiring guy. You can also check out his sit for your enjoyment
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou..._d_0GIoASRK3W_pQA&sig2=W_HOjYKR-UUQTYAYqW4UDg

SPECS COMING SOON

Awesome! I'll be watching. Our builds will be pretty similar so it will be fun to see how someone else approaches the same challenges.

Have you thought about build material/method? Traditional balsa or foam?

Looks like he was up here back in early October. I didn't make it out to the Culpeper AirFest this year but some of our club members flew some giant scale RC there.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Looks like an awesome build Jayz. It'll fit right in with Wilmracer's build. I hope my christen eagle is finished sometime this winter too. We could all fly big biplane aerobatics at FTFF 2016.

jayz 84

Wilmracer this should be a fun build and im hoping to get it done in time. But yeah well probably be talking alot about each others build pretty often on some parts and challenges.
But as far as build material. Ill be sticking to mostly foam just because its what i know best. Balsa yeah i have yet to try it out and would need some good time on my hands to learn all the different techniques so till then foam it will be.

jayz 84

Looks like an awesome build Jayz. It'll fit right in with Wilmracer's build. I hope my christen eagle is finished sometime this winter too. We could all fly big biplane aerobatics at FTFF 2016.

Yeah our build will be pretty close. Im looking at around a 48-50 wing span depending on how i clip the wings. I want it much bigger but space to store it in the place i live lacks at this time. And my truck bed is only 55in wide. So i would like it to fit with out issues and along with other builds in there.
But as for all of us flying at FF16 im down for it. Just hoping i have the time this year to make it, to soon to know as of now..
But you need to get that christen up and going. Haha if not a larger version along with me and wilmracer .

jayz 84

Full scale build plans anyone... construction plans for S1-C with a set of modified S1-S plans. Time to start designing and laying out my build plans.
20151203_201548.jpg
20151203_201621.jpg

ftwingnut

WWI Flying Ace

I too recently got the itch to build a DTFB Christen Eagle. I used to love watching the Eagle Aerobatic Team at Oshkosh back when I was a kid. I'm shooting for the typical ~40" wingspan FliteTest style build so that it is easily transportable.

Are you going to do an article on your build?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
There will be an article when the plans are finished (look out for them around Christmas time) It'll have a 35"ish wing span, so it should be in your size range. It'll also utilize typical FT build elements, plus a tiny bit more advanced building on the wing tips and cowl. Nothing the average builder can't handle, but a little bit more complicated than a baby blender.