Scale Build Off - Ryan Navion from 1960's Control Line Plans

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I was very tempted to try National, but Balsa USA beat them on shipping for smaller orders.

I totally understand that shipping stuff like this is a bit different due to the long length - one of my clients makes safety whips for ATV/Motorcycles/Buggies that are required in the nearby sanddunes. They're 8' long by law and that means oversized shipping. When we built their site I learned more than I ever wanted to about oversized shipping regulations. Crazy that shipping a <1lb whip costs more than shipping a 40lb box of engine parts just because of how long the whip is. (I also worked for a place that made suspension seats for race cars and monster trucks for a few years...shipping those was a whole separate set of nightmares!)

National seems to make a lot of sense if you're ordering enough to hit their free shipping. But with their minimum order of $25 I found Balsa USA made more sense for me as I didn't need much and they didn't have the minimum order requirement. I'd love to just order extra for future builds...but funds are tight and that's just not going to happen for me right now.

A standard 8' tube as oversized always makes me laugh. If I had to deliver that or a 40 pound box the choice is simple. Yeah, it probably comes down to what their trucks are designed for, what the cargo containers and sorting systems are designed for, but it's still silly.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
this may sound dumb is control line still rc

I'll say "no", because the way I see it it can't be considered "remote" control if you're connected directly to the plane.

And Corbarrad is correct, the plane I'm building was originally designed for gas powered control line (or U-Control as I think some call it) with just elevator control. The design is being modified to handle electric power and 4 channel operation. Possibly 5 channel if I add the retracts.

MrClean

I just got ruffled when you said "but this is the age of RC".
No, we still fly CL too AND FF. Many of us have been flying RC and started flying FF un-intentionally.

Not really ruffled mind you, but it wouldn't have hurt to say "but I wanted to have an RC version" instead of pronouncing another form of the hobby dead. If you'd ever had a 40 size ship pulling on your arm while walking around the center of the circle with a couple other pilots, you'd understand that there are aspects of CL that RC just cannot offer. The satisfaction of a full, good flight of your FF ship (not one where the radio died) is also a thrill not achievable by RC OR CL.

Embrace them all.

Your Navion is looking really sweet.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I don't think I pronounced anything "dead" other than my local hobby shop. My statement simply implied that RC is the current standard, to an extent that wasn't technologically possible when this plane was designed. I'll stand by the statement that this is the age of RC based on products offered for sale - almost everything in most RC catalogs or websites are for radio control now. I'm not saying C/L and FF are inferior, wrong, or bad in any way (although I am close to puking just thinking about spinning in circles!), they're just not as common as RC. Keep the other areas of the hobby alive, it helps us all with the diversity and skills learned/passed on.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I just got ruffled when you said "but this is the age of RC".
No, we still fly CL too AND FF. Many of us have been flying RC and started flying FF un-intentionally.

Not really ruffled mind you, but it wouldn't have hurt to say "but I wanted to have an RC version" instead of pronouncing another form of the hobby dead. If you'd ever had a 40 size ship pulling on your arm while walking around the center of the circle with a couple other pilots, you'd understand that there are aspects of CL that RC just cannot offer. The satisfaction of a full, good flight of your FF ship (not one where the radio died) is also a thrill not achievable by RC OR CL.

Embrace them all.

Your Navion is looking really sweet.

I think Pat Hartness and the rest of the guys at Triple Tree would have to disagree as well. CL is still very alive. So much so that the guys of Triple Tree have decided to improve their field with a control line area!!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...ata=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x3ea069a9cc7a3308

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
With the rough fabrication on the fuselage close to done and while waiting for glue to dry I started on the wing. First up as cutting the ribs. There were only 17 in total so it went pretty quickly. The wing is a combination of sheeted surface and open with covering material.

IMG_1106.JPG

A rough opening is made for the wing in the bottom of the fuselage. Once the wing is built I'll trim the planks to better fit the shape. The pieces sticking up from the canopy area are on the original plan for supporting the cabin roof. The roof itself is supposed to be carved from a block of balsa, but I'm probably going to go a different route with it.

IMG_1108.JPG

Doing the first test fit of the fuselage on the wing it's obvious that the Navion wing is on the small side. Some trimming of excess weight will be made to keep the wing loading as light as possible, but I think she'll still need to carry some speed.

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thanks! It's pretty rough still, but I love the lines on the Navion.

A quick follow-up on my LHS which is going out of business. I stopped in tonight to get a couple misc pieces of balsa and a few dowels for my future needs. While I was there I asked them about the Flyzone Beaver, which is my dad's favorite plane (he purchased one there previously, but it's now stranded 50+ feet up in a tree). They didn't have any Beavers in stock, but said they could still order both designs, the original and the new Island Wings version. My dad couldn't decide which he liked more so his plan was to eventually get both of them sometime in spring. Figuring there's nothing to lose I asked about a price for buying both now, hoping to score $20 or so off the total. To my surprise they offered pricing of $165 and $180 (regular pricing is $200 and $210), so the order was placed!

I also grabbed the Dumas Taylorcraft (40" span) for myself and some other goodies for the kids.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like I was trying to take advantage of the LHS going out of business. They certainly didn't have to offer that much of a discount, or any discount at all for that matter. However, I wasn't going to pay full retail only to sit on the planes for 4 months until my dad heads back north for the season to get them from me, and the LHS is still going to make a little money on the deal. I'll head in Wednesday to pick them up.

Last edited:

MrClean

Nope, stock thats sitting on the shelf after close date is wasted stock. Planes ordered and payed for up until then is just extra cash. They made money on your sale they just don't have to worry about lights to keep on with overhead in the future. The only thing to feel bad about is that you're losing a hobby shop.

And I won't take back what I said earlier. Your Navion looks really sweet.

To keep it lighter I may have just gone with silkspan over stringers instead of full planked but you'll get a more solid outline with the planked. If it's to heavy you might consider redoing the fuse.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I could never do the stringers on this plane, the style just screams to me for a smooth round finish. I've got other ideas if needed to lose a few grams if needed.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Great build, you have a bunch of us here following closely on this handsome plane.

A note on balsa sources. I regularly drive past Hobby Lobby, Michaels Crafts, and an east coast chain called A.C. Moore.
Each perpetually has 40% discount coupons on any one full priced item in the store. At that price, it brings the balsa pieces down to about what you get included shipping. You can also order online to have it delivered to the local store. There is either Hobby Lobby brand, Revell, or Midwest brands. I am able to pick out pieces as needed in hardness/weight scale.

You just have to bring the coupon up on your cell phone and they either scan it or copy down the coupon code. it helps that all three are within 3 miles of where I live.

Congrats on the Honorable Mention win...

Best,
Peter

PS You're ready to build a wooden boat, now, with that planking job.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've got the USS Crockettt which I started planking about 30 years ago and a Great Lakes fishing tug which has some planking on the upper structure. Some day I might catch the boat building bug and finish them!

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Wing work continues, with the leading edge being glued in place. The plans show the top sheeting over-lapping the LE, but I prefer to do it this way. The trailing edge and wing-tip will follow. Once the main structure is done I'll determine how I want to handle the servos and ailerons. Maybe retracts, too.

IMG_1122.JPG

Since I'm not doing the canopy as the plans show I don't need the "spines" which were sticking up around the canopy opening. Off they come, which really cleans up the look of the fuselage. The backbone of the fuselage is marked with "X"s showing where material will be removed completely. The internal formers will also be drastically cut back once the fiberglass is done, which will make room for the servos and battery.

IMG_1123.JPG

On a different note, since my dad is reading this I'll show him his twin Beavers, waiting patiently for him to come back to Wisconsin.

IMG_1125.JPG

And my Taylorcraft. Even though it's got a 40" span and is designed for 3 channel RC, this kit is somewhat "old-school" in how it's built, which should give me a chance to try some building techniques I haven't tried before. It should be an interesting project.

IMG_1126.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Speaking of Joker Sr., he's been busy with balsa projects of his own including this C-47/DC-3 kit. It will be a static display, not RC. He's done a few planes like this, with the dope & tissue covering and they look very nice. He's also neck-deep in an L-19, the same plane I did another build-thread on last year, plus a few other projects.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

I've got the USS Crockettt which I started planking about 30 years ago and a Great Lakes fishing tug which has some planking on the upper structure. Some day I might catch the boat building bug and finish them!

It can sting a little when you can say "a project I started 30 years ago...". I have a few of those myself. It's funny how 40+ just doesn't seem that old anymore...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Up until now, the planks around the canopy were just rough-cut to show the general design of where the canopy would go. I've got some upcoming plans to make the canopy, but in the meantime I needed to create a better spot for the canopy to sit. Some sheet was cut to size and glued around the opening. Sanding and filler will give me a nice smooth transition from the fuselage to the canopy (hopefully). Once the glassing is done I can finally remove some of the internal structure and create a servo tray, battery tray, etc. So far only half of the canopy opening has the top added, the front portion will be next.

In these pics you can also see I added some strips of balsa on the inside of the planking, between the formers. The planking I used was thinner than the plans called for so that meant they were also more flexible. When it came time to sand them they flexed too much, and I was also breaking them occasionally due to the lack of support for the planks. Gluing strips inside added a little weight, but it stiffened the plans up considerably. They were also used around openings for the canopy and wing where I'd otherwise have thin balsa planks just hanging without any support. They ain't pretty, but they work.

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

The wing is also continuing to take shape. The LE and TE pieces are in place and sheeting is going on portions of the top. The bottom will be completely un-sheeted, unless I add retracts, at which point certain parts will be sheeted to make it work properly.

IMG_1132.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Next up: wingtips. I made these from 1/2" thick balsa which came with my Cessna 182 kit, a good reason to keep scrap! One side was pretty rough, but a little sanding took care of that. The plan outline was cut first and then the piece was held against the wing so I could trace the outline of the rib with LE and TE. This line was cut next, and the result was a rough-shaped block ready for final sanding.

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

With the balsa around the canopy opening in place I couldn't resist putting down a layer of filler to fill in the gaps and create a smoother flow from the fuselage the canopy. Once this dries I'll sand it and then determine if I need to feather it in more or not. It's a small step, but it really cleans up the rough look around the canopy. Filler was also applied to the planking on the top of the fuselage to see how it'll work, and I'm now very confident it'll be easy to get a good smooth finish prior to glassing.

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG