Sesquiplane Fighter, Nieuport 31

leaded50

Legendary member
French Nieuport 31 , prototype buildt in 1919... is said to be one of the best looking aircraft of the WW1. The name " Sesquiplane" means 'one-and-a-half wings.'"
Its sleek smooth streamlined wooden monocoque shell of tulipwood, was produced by winding thin spiral strips around a mould in a series of alternately handed layers and glueing them together. It tapered to the rear, with an almost delta-shaped horizontal tailplane . It had a auxiliary aerofoil surface who enclosed the undercarriage axle and the upper portions of the wheels.
It has a slight curbed LE on the wing and TE straight.
Nieuport built racing aircraft before World War I and fighter aircraft during World War I and between the wars.
Specially modified Nieuport 31 aircraft set speed and height records, and the 31 was the first aircraft to exceed 200 mph in level flight.
Later developed versions was made as racer for Coupe Deutch airracing.
Nieuport 31 was later refined ino the more famous Nieuport-Delage NiD 62 frontline fighter in the 1920s and 1930s and still in service in some reserve units as late as 1940..

Nieuport 28 was the first fighter to be used on operations by a U.S. Squadron.

With measures on the original, i buildt it in 1:10 scale
  • Length: 6.60 m (21 ft 8 in)
  • Wingspan: 8.60 m (28 ft 3 in)

This is my first WW1 plane buildt, and cant explane why now, but liked the shapes, and that unique auxiliary front surface at undercarriage.

Nieuport_31_WW1_fighter_front.jpg
Nieuport 31c.jpg
Nieuport_31_fighter_aircraft_rear (1).jpg

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
an easy plane to build, a bit more stuff on the undercarriage though. Ill try make plans later. I build it quite medicined, and used today to adjust my errors done then. :(

Quite happy with the outcome though, quite fast build... and i think this gonna be a quite slow flyer, with good gliding capabilitys. (at least by what seen on the glidetests)
Front of cowl is just taped on, since havent got made a firewall yet )

Im gonna set it up with just rudder and elevator...(perhaps later ailerons?) at moment, and think, a 2208 or 2212 1400kv motor. 2200mAh battery can be slided inside into fuselage under the wing from the cockpit opening. A
As you perhaps can see... the cowl is a touch longer, beacuse then easier to get correct CG with that battery, without extra weighting.

DSC_1100.JPG
DSC_1098 (1).JPG
DSC_1102.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
Oh wow! That is so cool.......!!! :D

It looks like they took a Nieuport 28 & modified the crap out of it. I don't think it saw any action though.

(y)
It was flewn a bit, reported with good handling and speed, but French government and others had already gone for the SPAD, so the Nieuports was just made as racers after, without some airliners too. ... before the company was merged with others later.
The later Nieuport-Delage NiD.42 that was to provide the basis for a family of aircraft that would remain in service until the fall of France during World War II.

Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
Wow Id never seen one of those before. That is a beautiful plane. I dont know what to call that bump at the leading edge of the wing root, but some Wacos have it too and I love it for some reason.
I know youre not making plans, but do you have anything easy to share that would help if I built one?
How do you think that will work on the snow?:p:LOL:

leaded50

Legendary member
Wow Id never seen one of those before. That is a beautiful plane. I dont know what to call that bump at the leading edge of the wing root, but some Wacos have it too and I love it for some reason.
I know youre not making plans, but do you have anything easy to share that would help if I built one?
How do you think that will work on the snow?:p:LOL:

Yes , it was a very nice and unique design.
Plans will come when i get them ready. All my plans are shared in Resources. This was in fact a easy build. On snow...... well, that auxiliary surface perhaps do it.... but since thats flat with no forward curb up, i think it will easy cut down into snow, rather then glide on top. I would (and will try ;)) mount skiis also.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
this time, made the wing profile shape with another methode. Removed approx half of the paper at underside. Curbed the wing against table edge (as on Master builds eg.) aaaand glued on the removed "backing paper again. Then i got a nice rounded profileshape, but still keep foamboard strength. As seen on picture, also did a CF tube in middle for extra reinforcing. ( the horizontalstabilizer also got a cf rod reinforcing )
DSC_1100.JPG

Plan was also to use a bigger bottle as front cowl, but at time of build, i didnt found any in house to fit in shape.... and did it in foamboard. A diameter of 105mm do fit on some of the 1.5 - 2 litre soda bottles.

I had some thinner wheels with bearings, who would look nice on such a vintage plane, but felt they was too small (40mm) and decided make them in foamboard eg at 60mm in stead. outer "tire" is made of pipe insulation, rims of foamboard, and axlebearings of pop-rivets, where the rod is removed and used as wheelaxle.

Outer wing struts are made of hardwood paint stick, inner of 3mm ss rods whrapped and glued on cardboard. They are also fastned to a internal horizontal plate in fuselage

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Wait.........You didn't make any plans? :eek:
Ha,ha. I didnt on all parts, but will easy make it. I used a "bad" upscaled to model size 3D view drawing as main resource. Without that its just the skins not covered. Ive already made it for the rear and mid section now. Just frontpart, and the rounded cowlfront isnt made as plans yet. :) it will come!

it took me approx 1.5 nights to build it heavily medicined.. one day to fix the errors done, and do details (as the wheels, cowl eg)

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Lovely . ..
I'm guessing that when you re applied the paper to the wing, when it dried it also caused the wing to basically warp inwards? And create a more pronounced aerofoil??

leaded50

Legendary member
Lovely . ..
I'm guessing that when you re applied the paper to the wing, when it dried it also caused the wing to basically warp inwards? And create a more pronounced aerofoil??
nahh, perhaps a little, but not any thats easy seen. And at least not in any problem :)
I glued the front 10% first, then the rest after.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Ha,ha. I didnt on all parts, but will easy make it. I used a "bad" upscaled to model size 3D view drawing as main resource. Without that its just the skins not covered. Ive already made it for the rear and mid section now. Just frontpart, and the rounded cowlfront isnt made as plans yet. :) it will come!

it took me approx 1.5 nights to build it heavily medicined.. one day to fix the errors done, and do details (as the wheels, cowl eg)

Over on my thread, I'm doing the plans FIRST, so that I get the scale right, the size of the pieces right, etc......But then, I'm trying to be in scale with the existing SE5 & Dr1, so that makes a difference. I assume you aren't worried about scale to other aircraft.

:unsure:

leaded50

Legendary member
Over on my thread, I'm doing the plans FIRST, so that I get the scale right, the size of the pieces right, etc......But then, I'm trying to be in scale with the existing SE5 & Dr1, so that makes a difference. I assume you aren't worried about scale to other aircraft.

:unsure:
I uses as here a 3D view drawing file, and scaled to correct size wanted make the model in, all measures get correct scaled. (here it needed 450% zoom) then here, it got a 1:10 scale. Easy to setup when know the measures on the original plane.

Yes, some minor shapes doesnt get correct, eg as the rear part of fuselage isnt fully coneshaped, but a little "vase" styled. Because of the properties of foamboard, and to get the model easyer to make, This is made cone shaped, and not "vase"-shaped . Who will think it over? Close to nobody, it still gonna look beautiful as a Nieuport 31 model in the air. IO even made the nose 45mm longer, for easyness of weight placement /CG. If not it would needed a 200g + extra weightning in the cowl.
Heck ** i even made most of wing (without center part) a one sheet without underpart as the original have!!! ;)
And used that parts from a bottle as the "fenders" , thats not perfect shaped to what the original had. But.. my tires doesnt have air in them either.....BUT, the size is scale, and the attitude of the plane for most people.
Not any FT planes are fully "scale" either in all parts. And to make it like that, is whats ruin fun for many... the tiring work to get every thing perfect as the original, just smaller. That one of the thing that easy ruins newcomers to the hobby.
I see it even today, by revealing a plane i build in two different rc groups a bit nearby. In one i wrote i shared it as help for inspiration to others, and explained a bit on building. Thats a place where "high-tec/ RTF" guys much are.... very little feedback. The post go against their "ego" :ROFLMAO:
On the other group, it was fully welcomed, lot of questions and great feedback :)

When i started, i used that 3D drawing in correct zoomed, to make marking on all necessary measures i needed. Skins was made by using paper, and light behind to ensure it gets right. Later i did checked with a "cone making app" but didnt scanned the paperforms for the skins. Thats why the plans wasnt done.
And i dont see necessarity of making fully plans eg. in a 3D program , before can build. Some do though. :)
ive buildt 30-40 + planes fully from scratch last year +, and is fully secure to make a build withoot ready plans up front .

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
about time :LOL: the pilot was done in the 3D printer. Painted and glued on the base, the forward tongue fits between battery and "instrumentpanel", and perfect into the cockpit opening.
DSC_1107.JPG