Sig 1/4 Clipped Winged Cub and time to change my Avatar

cyclone3350

Master member
I stared this Sig Cub about a year ago to be first gasser. I kept the construction simple ( no door or window ) as I did not want to scale it out with an interior. After I completed the frame, then Covid shut down supplies and was not able to locate a DLE35. @ the same time I bought a Value Hobby Sig Rascal knock off 110" WS. for a deal that was returned do to defective covering. I live not too to far from the warehouse and the owner offered it to me when I pick up servos. I was able to find an electric motor from Motion and so I just converted this one. A re-do with some Oratex and man, I luv it! During the construction on my VH rascal, my daughter (now 4) found a good spot to put her dolls (Ginger and Cocomelon). She looked so proud of herself that I took a pic and made it my Avatar. She is now a year older and she has us take her to Clow Airport where there is a mini museum with real airplanes for her sit in. Well I had got the Covid 3 weeks ago and I am 6 days since I got discharged form the hospital. It is taken time to regain my lung functions, but I have about a 100% chance for a full recovery. I am finding that I a can get up and a flight of stairs without getting too winded, so down I will go and finish this one up. My biggest challenge now, is that I am going back to electric using the 10s setup on the VH 110". Yes, damn, got to cut out a door and window and go the Hanger 9 Cub electric conversion. It will be done in Harold Krier's Clipped wing colors with a PA-18-95 type cowl conversion. I bought one from the Nexus Burda 1/4 Cub(Motion RC) and it seems to look close enough to me. Plus it does have an access side door.
IMG_3699.JPG
IMG_5795.jpg
IMG_4710 (2).jpg
IMG_3970 (002).jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I stared this Sig Cub about a year ago to be first gasser. I kept the construction simple ( no door or window ) as I did not want to scale it out with an interior. After I completed the frame, then Covid shut down supplies and was not able to locate a DLE35. @ the same time I bought a Value Hobby Sig Rascal knock off 110" WS. for a deal that was returned do to defective covering. I live not too to far from the warehouse and the owner offered it to me when I pick up servos. I was able to find an electric motor from Motion and so I just converted this one. A re-do with some Oratex and man, I luv it! During the construction on my VH rascal, my daughter (now 4) found a good spot to put her dolls (Ginger and Cocomelon). She looked so proud of herself that I took a pic and made it my Avatar. She is now a year older and she has us take her to Clow Airport where there is a mini museum with real airplanes for her sit in. Well I had got the Covid 3 weeks ago and I am 6 days since I got discharged form the hospital. It is taken time to regain my lung functions, but I have about a 100% chance for a full recovery. I am finding that I a can get up and a flight of stairs without getting too winded, so down I will go and finish this one up. My biggest challenge now, is that I am going back to electric using the 10s setup on the VH 110". Yes, damn, got to cut out a door and window and go the Hanger 9 Cub electric conversion. It will be done in Harold Krier's Clipped wing colors with a PA-18-95 type cowl conversion. I bought one from the Nexus Burda 1/4 Cub(Motion RC) and it seems to look close enough to me. Plus it does have an access side door.
View attachment 205685 View attachment 205687 View attachment 205688 View attachment 205689
Beauty!

cyclone3350

Master member
Ok did some putty filling and some dry fitting to see where I can go. I bought a wrecked H9 Cub from a club member for parts and it looks like some items will work. First, the cowl from the Nexus Burda Cub fits perfect, just a little shorter than scale and not exactly a pa-18-95 shape, but like I said, good enough for what I want. The H9 battery tray just needs a little trimming and it will work. The motor mount is way too long, so it will have to be cut down. The H9 door and the scale gear are also a nice fit. Unfortunately the, 15cc Carbon Cub scale struts R about an inch too long. I have enough hardware her to fab the main struts from streamline K&S tubing and still can use the jury struts. Overall, I am hoping to have this thing in the air within two weeks.
IMG_4780.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4782.JPG
    IMG_4782.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4784.JPG
    IMG_4784.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4786.JPG
    IMG_4786.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4787.JPG
    IMG_4787.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4788.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4789 (1).JPG
    IMG_4789 (1).JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Looks like mine!

Ok did some putty filling and some dry fitting to see where I can go. I bought a wrecked H9 Cub from a club member for parts and it looks like some items will work. First, the cowl from the Nexus Burda Cub fits perfect, just a little shorter than scale and not exactly a pa-18-95 shape, but like I said, good enough for what I want. The H9 battery tray just needs a little trimming and it will work. The motor mount is way too long, so it will have to be cut down. The H9 door and the scale gear are also a nice fit. Unfortunately the, 15cc Carbon Cub scale struts R about an inch too long. I have enough hardware her to fab the main struts from streamline K&S tubing and still can use the jury struts. Overall, I am hoping to have this thing in the air within two weeks.
View attachment 205707 [/QUOTE
9AE17EA6-282C-472C-9B78-C74BDCEA3C99.jpeg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I like the look of the Super Cub cowl. If I ever build a 1/4 cub I'll probably build it as a PA-18. Many more scale color schemes are available, and I'm also too lazy to build convincing dummy engines :p

Are you going to also reshape the rudder to the PA18 style? You might not even need to cut it up at all. Just an extra bit of wood on the trailing edge and some filler would look just fine. The shape wouldn't be entirely scale but I'm sure nobody will give you crap for it.

If you want to go really scale you could also change the windshield braces to the PA-18 style. It has them fixed between the dashboard and where the wing meets the windshield, kind of the opposite of the J3. Though, I don't exactly know how deeply these pieces are built into the fuselage on this kit so it might be too much work to move them at this point to really be worth it.

cyclone3350

Master member
I like the look of the Super Cub cowl. If I ever build a 1/4 cub I'll probably build it as a PA-18. Many more scale color schemes are available, and I'm also too lazy to build convincing dummy engines :p

Are you going to also reshape the rudder to the PA18 style? You might not even need to cut it up at all. Just an extra bit of wood on the trailing edge and some filler would look just fine. The shape wouldn't be entirely scale but I'm sure nobody will give you crap for it.

If you want to go really scale you could also change the windshield braces to the PA-18 style. It has them fixed between the dashboard and where the wing meets the windshield, kind of the opposite of the J3. Though, I don't exactly know how deeply these pieces are built into the fuselage on this kit so it might be too much work to move them at this point to really be worth it.

For the Clipped winged Cub, there is a 95hp mod and it used the same cowl of the the first Super Cub Pa-18-95. Everything else is pretty much J3. The one I am basing this on is the latest version of the Late Harold Krier EAA Clipped winged Cub. He kept the rudder J3 and added the latter version of the Super Cub stab. Mine is staying all J3. Yes the Super Cub had a more rounded rudder and a different shape firewall and the more recognized one, the 150 hp had a different stab and elevator as well as flaps. I am with U on the dummy engines and that is why I went with the cowl. Not really going scale, just want to dress it up a little.
ac1629607593032551.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
I was so hoping to to get a little further ahead, but I a little set back in recovery. A little bit more meds and I will be OK and recovering well now. I actually felt better this evening than I have in a month. So downstairs I went and @ least did a little something. Got the H9 Cub door stripped of it's covering and began to cut out the opening for the door. The Dremel batt got low and that seemed like a good time to take it easy and call it a night.

Attachments

• IMG_4791.JPG
    IMG_4791.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0