Sig 4 Star 20 EP Build Log

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Congrats on the successful maiden! Any time you do the first flight and don't need a garbage bag to pick up parts is a successful maiden. :)

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Agreed! I was really nervous before the flight and the worse once it got in the air! I was able to trim it out and keep the stick movements light enough to get a feel for it and bring it back in. The second flight was much better and I expect that I've got a nice flying plane on my hands once I finish tweaking everything.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, nice looking plane in the air too. I like how the motor mount came out, perfect fit. My Dad really liked your planes and appreciated your finish work. He had a great time at the open house.

I may look at the larger versions of this plane for a future build someday. I like the way it flys and looks in the air.

TexMechsRobot

It was nice to meet him! You should bring him out more often and put a transmitter in his hands!

Someone at the club has a Four Star 40 with fuel and it flew well. They had it in the traditional yellow with the supplied decals. I remember seeing it last fall sometime.

The kit went together rather nicely so once you get the one on your bench complete, the SIG kit should be easier for you.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It was nice to meet him! You should bring him out more often and put a transmitter in his hands!

Someone at the club has a Four Star 40 with fuel and it flew well. They had it in the traditional yellow with the supplied decals. I remember seeing it last fall sometime.

The kit went together rather nicely so once you get the one on your bench complete, the SIG kit should be easier for you.

I think he would enjoy the hobby, but his interests lie elsewhere.

My next project is the Sig Hog Bipe and I'm hoping it goes together better than the T-Craft. The Four Star may be the project after that though. Im actually really interested in the Four-Star 120!

TexMechsRobot

I think he would enjoy the hobby, but his interests lie elsewhere.

My next project is the Sig Hog Bipe and I'm hoping it goes together better than the T-Craft. The Four Star may be the project after that though. Im actually really interested in the Four-Star 120!

The SIG Bipe interests me as well. Looks like a fun plane to build and fly.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I can't comment on the SIG Hog Bipe, but the SIG Astro-Hog is certainly a nice flying plane. It's great for a nice casual day at the field. Mine is set up for 5 cell electric, but with the extra drag from a second wing you may want to look at 6 cell. The nose of the plane is big enough to modify as a battery hatch, which is nice.

JetDr330

AUW is 1170g with a 3S 2200 mAh. That's 2.58 lbs. The specs on this page show it at 1130g or 2.5 lbs so I guess I added a little weight somewhere :)

Just finishing up my 4-Star build, just have some loose ends to tie up, weighed in at 1169 grams, 41.23 oz. with mods. Couldn't believe our AUW is pretty much identical, I figured mine was going to come in at 50-55 oz. with the mods as a AUW for motor/prop selection, using your AUW as a real world build AUW. I used the Dynam Tomcat G10 Motor (3514-1450), 50 A ESC and a 3S 3000mAh 50C Battery, with a 10X5 prop the Wattmeter is showing 300 Watts @ 26 Amps. Going to get it wrapped up and planning to maiden at our Club's Wattfest on Oct. 14th. I will get some final build pics posted soon.

MODS:
Turtle Deck Sheeted
Top Battery Hatch
Lowered and Extended Battery Tray
Shortened and Reshaped Canopy
Wing Bolt Area Reinforced on Wing Structure
Sullivan Tail Wheel

Attachments

• IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 0

TexMechsRobot

You'll like the top battery hatch. I went with the plans and it works, but having it on top is always better. Nicely done!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I like this plane and it looks great in flight. Tex's is a really graceful flyer. It's definitely on my list, bit I would like to build the larger version.