Sig Sundancer 50 Biplane electric conversion?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A 190-200A ESC? Yeah, that'll handle any of the planes being discussed with room to spare! Keep in mind it has no BEC, so if you want to power servos you'll need to make accommodations for that. The price is pretty darn cheap!

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I prefer the idea of having a separate BEC anyway, that way if the ESC has a brownout, I can still dead stick the plane in. They have a red brick 70 for $18 as well... oh HK, why do you tempt me so!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Absolutely a good plan, especially on a bigger plane. All my big gassers have a battery dedicated to the RX and servos, which gives me a little extra comfort.

Wow! That's a massive ESC! My biggest plane, that flies on a 5800 mAh 10S setup only has an 80A ESC. But, lower cell count does require more amps for the same wattage.... I can't say I've seen a 200A ESC before, I wonder how big it is physically??

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Wow! That's a massive ESC! My biggest plane, that flies on a 5800 mAh 10S setup only has an 80A ESC. But, lower cell count does require more amps for the same wattage.... I can't say I've seen a 200A ESC before, I wonder how big it is physically??

I know right? weird thing, its not THAT big. 64x40x26 so a little less than 2x3x1 inch. Only reason I was thinking of getting it, if it was overkill for the plane... I have an RC Jet boat I've been working on that runs a 1/8 scale RC truck motor and boats draw crazy current so it may be nice for that...

I'm going to keep an eye out and see if anything else pops up the next few days with their daily deals.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
ok got a bit more work done last night. Here are the new servo mounts for the wings. the old ones were starting to crack and if that gave way in mid flight... well that'd be bad.

I modeled them up in cad and 3D printed new ones. Holes for where it screws to the wing weren't perfect so I may need to rework them a bit.

IMG_1560_1.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

Also started to do some work on my Sig Kadet Senior. I wont hijack my own thread with this guy but here are some pictures. I'll start another thread soon once I get the Sundancer airworthy.

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ooooo.... nice work on the 3d modeling! Any chance you'd be willing to share that file somewhere? I have a couple big models that would look great on :)

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Ooooo.... nice work on the 3d modeling! Any chance you'd be willing to share that file somewhere? I have a couple big models that would look great on :)

Absolutely! I didn't think they were standard or anything but if you think you could use them I will post them to the FT group on thingiverse. Its set for futaba servo spacing as thats what I am using. I don't know if thats a standard or not. I know some servos are a little narrower/wider etc.

Justin

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Absolutely! I didn't think they were standard or anything but if you think you could use them I will post them to the FT group on thingiverse. Its set for futaba servo spacing as thats what I am using. I don't know if thats a standard or not. I know some servos are a little narrower/wider etc.

Justin

Thank you!!

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere

Justin

A lot of older models use similar setups and the Futaba servo was the standard for like 30 years. it's nice to have solutions for when stuff goes broken - esp since the old stuff was usually vacuum formed.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Oh man, this thread fell to page 2, guess I need to pick up my slack!

So not a ton to report actually. I did upload the STL files for 3D printing on thingiverse in the FT group. Seems like a fair bit of people are interested in them so thats awesome!

As for the plane. I think I mentioned I got the elevator and rudder servos in. elevator servo has a bit more slop than I want so i might rework that linkage.

Wing servos are mounted in their mounts, just need to get the linkages on and the servos mounted to the wing.

I did get another motor from HK for kicks. its a 4248 760kv that says it puts out 1100W. Funny thing is its smaller than the tacon motor I have now. Not really sure how that works... Also picked up a 100A esc as the 60A esc had me a little concerned. In that same order I got two 4000mah 3S nanotech lipos with 25-50c. I plan to run these in series for 6S. Grabbed a few more props in the 11, 12, and 13" range as well as a spinner.

A friend of mine that i fly with at the club has a watt meter so I plan to do some prop and battery testing with the watt/amp meter to see where things are at with draw. May even try and find a force gauge/fish scale to hook to the plane and do some thrust measurements.

Winter has arrived here in michigan so I think I'm going to just take my time on this plane this winter and get everything set up right. I don't have a ton left to do, but at the same time, a lot of whats left is crucial (battery, prop, CG figuring). All the important stuff that keeps a plane in the air :)

Oh, also ordered a steerable tail wheel from banggood for a whopping $2 haha. The guy I got the plane gave me one but it was wrong and would be more work than its worth to try and make it fit right.

Hoping we get some snow soon so I can toss the floats on my apprentice and do a bit of snow flying. Also got my eye on that valiant 1.3m that FT did a review on... I know, its foam and this is a balsa section so I'll drop it there :)

Justin