Simulator to Use on my MAC

baz.b

baz.b
hi, I've been looking for a Flight Simulator to use on my Mac, but no luck as yet. Does anyone know of such a creature.

jtrops

If you want to fly planes Picasim is a good fit on a Mac. I have been running it for a year or so. You have to install it through Wine since it is a Windows app. I use Playonmac to do the install since it is really just an app to make Wine easier to use. Anyway, once it is installed I open the folder c I open the file for the app, and open app.icf. Then find the lines for SysGlesDirectory, and SysGlesVersion. Change the settings to match the following, and save:

SysGlesDirectory=pvr
SysGlesVersion=1

Once that is done the program works perfectly with a sim cable from a transmitter, or a dedicated USB sim controller. I have used my FlySky Fs-i6 with sim cable, as well as an old Ikarus Aerofly USB Game Commander without any problems.

For Quads I have used FPV Freerider. There is a Mac native version. It seems a bit funky in the way it receives input from controllers, but once it is mapped right the sim is very nice. I should say that there is a quad in PicaSim as well, but there isn't as much variety as in FPV Freerider.

I have been very happy with Picasim, and it is really easy to get working once you know what to do. If you want to try it, and need help let me know, and I will post a thread with screenshots to show the installation step by step. It only takes a few minutes to get it installed and working.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I use Aerofly RC7 (native Mac), available on the app store. I think it works pretty well. I only have the basic version.

Mike

baz.b

baz.b
Thanks guys. So really then, there isn't a dedicated Sim for the Mac. The one jtrops told me about, well, me and computers don't mix at all, so thanks for that, but Ill give that one a miss. The one from Mike sounds closer to the mark, but I was really hoping for a full on Simulator, ie press the button and go flying, but maybe I'm expecting too much eh. Thanks guys.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Thanks guys. So really then, there isn't a dedicated Sim for the Mac. The one jtrops told me about, well, me and computers don't mix at all, so thanks for that, but Ill give that one a miss. The one from Mike sounds closer to the mark, but I was really hoping for a full on Simulator, ie press the button and go flying, but maybe I'm expecting too much eh. Thanks guys.

The program I mentioned is pretty much that. In order to make the best use of it, you will need an adapter for your transmitter so you can use the trainer jack. I have a thing I got that plugs into the USB port of my computer and the trainer jack of my Taranis. The "USB thing" is pretty common - lots of companies seem to make them. They cost about $6-7 usually, but you often have to order from China.

Mike

jtrops

I get the computer issue. It isn't really tricky to get it working, but it is more than just clicking a couple of buttons. I wonder if the developer would compile a version that would work on mac. Alternately, maybe I could make a self contained mac executable. it would be pretty big since it would include wine, but if I could make that work you would be able to run the app without even having to install it.

Let me know if this interests you, and I will take a stab at it.

Jerrry

baz.b

baz.b
That's good of you Jerry, but I'm hoping that Apple might come up with something. I'm sure it would be beneficial to them in the long term.

Baz

jtrops

This has been a problem for a very long time, so I don't think Apple will come through in this case. Aerofly is the only one that I know of which is making a Mac specific sim.

mjmccarron

Hi,
You're running into the same issue I have. I run RC Desk pilot through VMWare and windows XP on my mac. It's not as difficult as it sounds but if you're not comfortable, it would not be a good choice. I'd be happy to help guide you through the setup process if you go that route. The nice thing about VM Ware is that you can run any windows applications in a virtual machine on your mac. I even run Ubuntu in a VM. In any event, good luck and let us know if you find anything that runs native Mac.

Mike

Datum

I grew up using X-plane a lot. Not dedicated RC, but most controllers can interface easily enough and there are a few planes you can practice with. You can also model your own planes fairly easily.

Henry

hi, I've been looking for a Flight Simulator to use on my Mac, but no luck as yet. Does anyone know of such a creature.

Do you mean a flight simulator or an RC simulator? There are plenty of flight simulators, but only one RC simulator that I know of, Aerofly RC. Areofly is very good. As other have said you can get a USB cable to plug you transmitter into the Mac.

Excalibre

Late Learner
I have been using RC 7 for a while. Its a great program but having to put up with issues connecting a Transmitter to it. My latest was to purchase an orange dongle in an attempt to connect my Orange RX T6 to it but alas it recognises it as a joy stick and won't let me assign any controls. It starts but doesn't recognise any movement of the sticks.
Can anyone throw some light on how to connect the ORX to RC 7 ? And what connections are out there ?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Does Smartpropoplus work on mac? That is the easiest way to set up any radio on a computer specially if you want to use real tX. You just go thru the trainer port and the sound cards mic inputs.

Excalibre

Late Learner
RC 7 from Aerofly is a dedicated Sim for Mac Ive been using the ultimate version for some time. If you go to the App Store there are a few there. In particular a new one called RC AirSim @ $7.99 the graphics leave a bit to be desired and certainly don't compare to RC 7 but operationally it is very realistic. The new version has enhanced connections for your transmitter.:D

Excalibre

Late Learner
yep, i went through the same routine and couldn't get it to recognise any movement at all on my Orange RX. Think me needs to be getting a Taranis as well.

RCdiy

RCdiy
yep, i went through the same routine and couldn't get it to recognise any movement at all on my Orange RX. Think me needs to be getting a Taranis as well.
Ahh yes... I have had problems....
Try...
disconnect usb
start aerofly
controller > scan
exit Aerofly
Start aerofly
connect usb
wait 60 seconds
controller > scan
select the joystick
go through clibration

if that does not work we can try something else... have you been able to verify that the dongle/joystick works in some other application?

First time it worked flawlessly... I then went to make a video for you and had problems....

Once it starts to work it works... On first startup the model may go full throttle in which case just move the sticks to their limits.... throttle will go to min immediately...

Last edited: