Snow Flying

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Snow, ice and bad weather have kept me from flying the last couple of weeks. But today is sunny and not much wind so I made some skis for my tiny trainer and went to town! I used some Elmers Dry Erase foam board since it's water proof and really slick on one side. It amazes me how not having much time or money invested in a plane gives me courage1
It skipped across the snow like I knew what I was doing and landed like a dream.
IMG_014292 (2).JPG
IMG_014292 (2).JPG
IMG_014293 (2).JPG
IMG_014292 (2).JPG IMG_014293 (2).JPG
IMG_014291 (2).JPG
IMG_014292 (2).JPG IMG_014293 (2).JPG IMG_014291 (2).JPG

Hoomi

Master member
I know what you mean about the time and money part. There's something about knowing that replacement parts are as cheap as a trip to the nearest Dollar store, that makes flying so much more relaxing.

Hoomi

Master member
By the way - interesting idea for mounting the landing gear on the TT. I might just have to try a set of wheels mounted that way (not much chance of snow here in Baja Arizona. We had some a couple of weeks ago, and it stayed on the ground less than a day).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Snow, ice and bad weather have kept me from flying the last couple of weeks. But today is sunny and not much wind so I made some skis for my tiny trainer and went to town! I used some Elmers Dry Erase foam board since it's water proof and really slick on one side. It amazes me how not having much time or money invested in a plane gives me courage1
It skipped across the snow like I knew what I was doing and landed like a dream. View attachment 191606 View attachment 191606 View attachment 191607 View attachment 191606 View attachment 191607 View attachment 191608 View attachment 191606 View attachment 191607 View attachment 191608
looks good pity weve probably seen the last of the snow for this year or I might have built some.

L Edge

Master member
It is real nice when it is fluffy snow.
Let the snow sit, the the snow becomes crusty and sometimes like ice. So you may tend to lose steering control, so you might want to put a narrow strip down the middle of the ski so it can catch the high spots. I made wood skis and used a hardwood strip. Don't know how long the foamy strip will last before it tears up on the icy surface.

Just remembered the second point. You need to rig up something to the ski so when you lift off in keeps the ski from rotating 90 degrees or you will have terrible uneven drag on plane.(Ask me how I know) I used a large rubber band connected from front of ski to landing gear(1/2 way up and solder small crosspiece to wrap it) and back down to rear of ski. It ends up a nice shock absorber.

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
It skipped across the snow like I knew what I was doing and landed like a dream. View attachment 191606 View attachment 191606 View attachment 191607 View attachment 191606 View attachment 191607 View attachment 191608 View attachment 191606 View attachment 191607 View attachment 191608
I like what U got there. I bought a set of Dubro's for my 54" Taylorcraft and they were very thin and snapped in a rut. I bought another set that I am sure won't last long. When those go, I think I will make a set like yours.