Spitfire76's Build Log of Ben's XF-16

Yankee2003

All 5 sheets cut on TimSav so now the fun starts.

Thanks @Yankee2003 for pointing me to this build video

Can’t wait to get started on these. I should start cutting and glueing tomorrow. It will be a bit slow this week as my wife has the next few days off. But I won’t let you get too far ahead of me. It sounds like it goes together fairly ….relatively…..quick. I might regret saying that.

Spitfire76

Can’t wait to get started on these. I should start cutting and glueing tomorrow. It will be a bit slow this week as my wife has the next few days off. But I won’t let you get too far ahead of me. It sounds like it goes together fairly ….relatively…..quick. I might regret saying that.
Well, this first build maybe a practice build depending on how much I mess up so it likely won't be the one that flies. Also can use it to test out paint and decals.

Last edited:

Yankee2003

Well, this first build maybe a practice build depending on how much I mess up so it likely won't be the one that flies. Also can use it to test out paint and decals.
Yes, there will probably be more than one since it looks like it will be hard to get the first one presentable.
But it will hopefully be the maiden aircraft. If I know I can fly it, I won’t mind spending time on the second one.
Looks like somebody created some 3D files for the canopy.
My goal is to have the first carcass ready and possibly flown by the end of July.
I need to get up with Matt so we can maiden our F16s together, hopefully with video proof.

Spitfire76

In the build video Ben starts with the nose from sheet 3 and it looks like there were some changes made between making the video and releasing the latest version (v8) of the plans. As marked on the plans some of the paper is now removed from one side instead of using score cuts which provides a more rounded look towards the tip of the nose.

IMG_4218.jpeg

Last edited:

Yankee2003

In the build video Ben starts with the nose from sheet 3 and it looks like there were some changes made between making the video and releasing the latest version (v8) of the plans. As marked on the plans some of the paper is now removed from one side instead of using score cuts which provides a more rounded look towards the tip of the nose.

View attachment 238760
I think he mentions somewhere that it is an earlier version. But that it is close enough to use for the newer versions.
🤞

Spitfire76

Nose complete, although a little rough where the sections join. Hoping a bit more sanding will help.

Note: don't put too much glue in the score cuts as the nose former will want to stay.

IMG_4221.jpeg IMG_4222.jpeg

Last edited:

Spitfire76

IMG_4223.jpeg
Glued "Forebody Under Canopy" from sheet 3. Video only shows using former 1 but I assume former 2 was added later to help shape the part at the rear. Glued nose to it but didn't align it well so not great but will carry on.

Also added "Intake Diverter" from sheet 3. Note: tabs have been added to it since the video.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Next step was to build the V stab with the tail from sheet 3 and the tail base from sheet 5. I did find this assembly a little tricky.

Note: where Ben has some tape in the video I should have removed more foam from the tail base to make it fit better (next time). Also not sure if it's important or not but it does show on the plan to bevel those 2 small tabs at the rear of the tail base but it wasn't shown in the video so didn't do it.

IMG_4226.jpeg

Last edited:

Spitfire76

The right H tail from sheet 2 and left from sheet 1 together with the H tail doublers from sheet 3 went together well. Note: There is now a Tail Ahedral guide provide on sheet 2. I shaved off a bit too much foam to accommodate the ahedral so it left a bit of a gap. Added some tape to help strengthen

IMG_4227.jpeg IMG_4228.jpeg

Yankee2003

I had to solder new bullets on my EDF. It came with 3.5mm and my 80amp Esc has 4.0mm.
But I did get started on it yesterday. The EDF was a much larger diameter than the holes drawn out on the formers.
Before you cut those out it might be easier just to do some tracing to cut a hole closer to what you need.
Thank you for the documentation, I plan on starting the nose this afternoon. Right now in fact.

Spitfire76

I had to solder new bullets on my EDF. It came with 3.5mm and my 80amp Esc has 4.0mm.
But I did get started on it yesterday. The EDF was a much larger diameter than the holes drawn out on the formers.
Before you cut those out it might be easier just to do some tracing to cut a hole closer to what you need.
Thank you for the documentation, I plan on starting the nose this afternoon. Right now in fact.
Did you already have the ESC or did you purchase at the same time as the EDF?.

I just ordered this Powerfun EDF+ESC combo on Amazon.
It states in the title that its a 11 blade EDF but further down in the product details it states 12 so not sure which it is. The ESC does show 3.5mm connectors.

Spitfire76

The next step was to shape the intake from sheet 5 and glue it together with the intake support from sheet 4. Note: Intake support has changed slightly from video and now has a slot.

IMG_4230.jpeg IMG_4231.jpeg

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Now the next step is to glue the forebody/nose section to the intake, but I will hold off as I might re-build the nose section as I am not happy with the joins.

I will have to skip over the EDF part of the video as the EDF/ESC is ordered but won't be here until Sunday. Also as @Yankee2003 pointed out earlier the holes in the formers may need to be larger. The engineering drawing of the EDF show a diameter of 2.98 inches and the holes in the formers are 2.923 so not a big difference (?)

Is the cylinder attached to the EDF in the video made of paper or card stock and is that silver tape ?

Last edited:

Yankee2003

Now the next step is to glue the forebody/nose section to the intake, but I will hold off as I might re-build the nose section as I am not happy with the joins.

I will have to skip over the EDF part of the video as the EDF/ESC is ordered but won't be here until Sunday. Also as @Yankee2003 pointed out earlier the holes in the formers may need to be larger. The engineering drawing of the EDF show a diameter of 2.98 inches and the holes in the formers are 2.923 so not a big difference (?)

Is the cylinder attached to the EDF in the video made of paper or card stock and is that silver tape ?
I actually worked on this section because I had the EDF. I used card stock and duct tape. I had to make it wider to fit around my EDF. The first one I cut out by the plan would not wrap all the way around. So make a “practice” thrust tube out of regular printer paper and use that as your template.
The nose section was a bit of a challenge. When I was forming it the very end nose cone it ripped off. I think in the long run it might have been easier this way. But then again I didn’t get the chance of making it work while it was still attached to know for sure.
But it is done, and a little massaging will do wonders.
I agree with you on the vertical tail section and the base …. next time I will notch back the area of the vertical fin where it intersects with the point (peak) of the base that folds over it. Like a little rectangular notch so the vertical fin still extends over the base in the front. The double bevel didn’t really work for me. By end of day tomorrow, I hope to be working on the wings.
I can see where the second one will go much better and faster. Still, I am committed to the maiden flight with this first iteration.
I won’t be near as nervous if even before the first one flies…the second one will be in the que.
I’ll send a picture or two of my progress tomorrow. I appreciate you shedding light on the build as you go along. It has been very helpful and encouraging.

Yankee2003

View attachment 238782
Glued "Forebody Under Canopy" from sheet 3. Video only shows using former 1 but I assume former 2 was added later to help shape the part at the rear. Glued nose to it but didn't align it well so not great but will carry on.

Also added "Intake Diverter" from sheet 3. Note: tabs have been added to it since the video.
This nose cone looks really good to me. I will send a picture of mine so you will feel better about yours.

Spitfire76

Prepared the parts for the EDF with the "upper aft fuse" and former from sheet 4 as well as the formers labelled 1and 2 from sheet 5 (they look the same but are different)

IMG_4234.jpeg

Last edited:

Yankee2003

So here are a few pictures as I promised.
IMG_3744.jpeg
The dreaded nose cone.
IMG_3746.jpeg
IMG_3747.jpeg
The tail section. It can be easily fixed next time by cutting back the vertical fin, at the peak intersection, underneath the base. Not a big deal from this point forward.
IMG_3743.jpeg
IMG_3742.jpeg
The motor/thrust tube section. Pretty easy and straight forward. On display is my brick of an 80 amp esc. I can’t remember where this was used, but it is definitely overkill. The problem I had here was former #3. I failed to get it vertical when I glued it to the thrust tube.
Next time I would just not glue it to the thrust tube until I was glueing it into the fuselage section. That way it would be easy to ensure that it is flush to the back. Not a big deal, just a lesson learned.

Last edited: