STAR WARS scratch builds

Vimana89

Legendary member
You could potentially make that fly just to do it but it's a bad design that would probably require a lot of work to fly mediocre to marginally good. Vaguely anhedral shape with no vertical stabilizers will give you no roll stability. The induced drag of those gun mounts/braces will be significant, unless you make them "hollow" for air to pass through, or full of little fins to induce some drag and possibly act as vertical stabilizers...which would be a possible solution, but I doubt this would be enough to make it fly well.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
You could potentially make that fly just to do it but it's a bad design that would probably require a lot of work to fly mediocre to marginally good. Vaguely anhedral shape with no vertical stabilizers will give you no roll stability. The induced drag of those gun mounts/braces will be significant, unless you make them "hollow" for air to pass through, or full of little fins to induce some drag and possibly act as vertical stabilizers...which would be a possible solution, but I doubt this would be enough to make it fly well.
Thanks for the info, I think I'm gonna go for a twin setup with the motors being on the two guns...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thanks for the info, I think I'm gonna go for a twin setup with the motors being on the two guns...
Nice idea, they aren't useful for anything practical unless you mount motors or landing gear or even just lights on them. Use those gun mounts as sort of compound vertical stabilizers if you can. Put some fins/supports in each one that act as the vertical stabilizers, while the top brackets will sort of act as spoilers. In theory this could work:unsure:

L Edge

Master member
Star wars has a ton of cool starship designs that look just great, but if you go into the aerodynamics, most of them have huge flaws that make building scale flying replicas almost impossible. It can be a real challenge to find a good balance between scale and good flight caracteristics.

I made this thread so that everyone can share their builds, ideas, information or unknown ship designs.

The biggest issue with most Star Wars designs (X-wing for example) are wings that are too far in the back and a long nose combined with the lack of a vertical stabelizer. That means that if you place your CG on the right spot, you will have extreme yaw issues. To correct the yaw issues, you either need to shift the CG etreamely far to the front or add large vertical stabelizers which would destroy the look.

Once my Maker Foam arrives here in Europe, Im going to build two ships:

The Republic LAAT Gunship, I love its Mil Mi 24 inspired looks and I have some cool Ideas with it:

View attachment 151642

And the Umbaran starfighter which appears in clone wars and looks very unique:

View attachment 151643

And here are some extreamely uncommon ships that are very likeley to fly:

You know the standard T-65 X-wing, but theres also a x-83 X-wing that features a twin boom tail. It might not look that nice, buf it would be easy to make it fly:
View attachment 151646

This thing is a stretched ripoff of the Lippisch P13a I made a while ago (check my profile pic):
View attachment 151647

This thing got my attention because its cockpit looks quie familar...
View attachment 151648

...like the BV 40 glider, which is cool because this little plane is armed with two 30mm canons and can reach a speed of 900km/h!!! Its a glider!
View attachment 151649

And my favorite car manufacturer Porsche just partnered with lucasfilm and created a new ship. I think it looks cool, but it doesnt fit into the Star Wars universe:
View attachment 151652
View attachment 151653

If you go to the RCG's, there is a fellow who did quite a few of the Star War's stuff and maybe you can pick up some ideas to use.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm gonna print this out and start hacking some foam:D
snowspeeder.gif

L Edge

Master member
Yeah I know, I'm not building a Simple cub and calling it a Kitfox:LOL:

Actually, Grifflyer is on to something. I enlargen the "white diamond" did a prop and EDF version. As you lift the control surfaces up, the tip a section is tipping down. If you cover that up and go forward and back to the nozzle, you will have a downward shape like shown on thread #28 figure and design a entry below in front and all the other stuff above to make a star wars vehicle.

IMG_0348.JPG

For control surfaces, use the TV for elevator and rudder and add some ailerons to the back surface, and I give it a 75/25 chance to fly.

IMG_0346.JPG

I added the "Udder Rudder" to the prop and both take high winds(10 degree dihedral) and will fly inverted both fast and slow.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Actually, Grifflyer is on to something. I enlargen the "white diamond" did a prop and EDF version. As you lift the control surfaces up, the tip a section is tipping down. If you cover that up and go forward and back to the nozzle, you will have a downward shape like shown on thread #28 figure and design a entry below in front and all the other stuff above to make a star wars vehicle.

View attachment 152184

For control surfaces, use the TV for elevator and rudder and add some ailerons to the back surface, and I give it a 75/25 chance to fly.

View attachment 152186

I added the "Udder Rudder" to the prop and both take high winds(10 degree dihedral) and will fly inverted both fast and slow.
Thanks for the info, I'm planning on going a bit simpler and using TV for just rudder control and use regular surfaces for elevator and aileron's, what do you think?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 152184

View attachment 152186

You might be into something with the EDF idea, the shape of it reminds me more of a Destroyer

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member

View attachment 152184

View attachment 152186

Lol this looks almost like a Delta 7! Looks like you got a very good base for many starfighters!

L Edge

Master member
You might be into something with the EDF idea, the shape of it reminds me more of a Destroyer

That's what it is all about. One builds onto another design. I like to keep abreast with the newest technology and then explore if we can duplicate it. The fun of it is work the bugs out of it and end up having a successful flight.

Last edited: