Successful mechanical control with a joystick and Throttle w/ build video

johnreto

Hello Flite Test world.
You have a old joystick and throttle layin around but dont have the knowhow of how to connect it to your
TX and/or dont have the $ to buy the components to hook it up to your Tx?
Have you ever wanted to control your plane or drone via joystick and throttle while flying FPV?

Well, I have successfully hooked up my old joystick and throttle to my Tx, MECHANICALY!!!
No electronics, no soldering, no wiring.
I gotta say i'm kinda proud of myself for getting this to work.
This is the first version, the Beta version will be cleaner :D

Unfortunatly I have'nt figured out how to include rudder control (though I've had a good idea in the meantime),
that will happen with the Beta version :D.
So for now its a yank and bank system with throttle. Also workin on a way to install switches for flaps
and landing gear and etc. which will also be mechanicaly hooked to the swithches of the Tx.

Below you can see pics of the first field test. Worked just like I had planned.
Together with FPV flight its a awesome feeling.

Was really nervous on the first field test flight. But as I started to climb I realized that it was working and was stoked:cool:.

Anyhow, here is the build video.

Hope it helps some of you in any way.

Attachments

• _20180727_110523.JPG
    _20180727_110523.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 0
  • _20180727_110542.JPG
    _20180727_110542.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 0
  • _20180727_110934.JPG
    _20180727_110934.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 0

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
While if I ever get to this point I think I'd do it electronically, I totally respect your Rube Goldberg approach. I'll be watching for what you come up with for rudder.

johnreto

While if I ever get to this point I think I'd do it electronically, I totally respect your Rube Goldberg approach. I'll be watching for what you come up with for rudder.

already have a idea for the rudder, just need a joystick that centers itsself with 2 springs (Y and X Axis) insted of the one I have that gets centered with one spring, then i have a solution ;)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
my family suffers from the same condition. i just recently started taking a beta blocker for my shaky hands. so far it seems to be doing pretty good, but still first thing in the morning don't ask me to solder anything. :LOL:

laters,

me :cool: