Tips to keep my 3D printed aircraft from melting at Flite Fest

NickRehm

Hey Ya'll,

I'll have quite a few 3D printed flying things with me at Flite Fest this year. I'm staying at a nearby hotel, so will be driving in to the event in the mornings, and leaving stuff in my car throughout the day when I'm not flying. I'd like to bring everything I want to fly for the day and leave it in the car rather than drive back and forth from the hotel. I'm worried stuff will start to melt in the heat.

Any tips? I'll probably leave my windows cracked. Does anybody use the windshield reflector things? Does that keep your car cool enough? What other tips do you have to keep your 3D printed aircraft from melting in your car during the summer?

Thanks!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Not necessarily in order but close....

A) Bring a tent to put your stuff in. Leave the windows open so it can breathe but not enough the sun shines directly on them.

B) Make friends with someone who has an RV on site to keep them in an AC environment.

C) make friends with someone who has a canopy up and space to keep a few planes.

D) pop up a canopy with at least one wall to keep the sun off them.

E) Pop up a canopy over your car to help keep the sun off it while keeping the windows cracked.

F) stake out some space in the build tents to keep them each day. You will meet a bunch of great people.

G) let them warp and have fun flying them in their new form.

It is going to depend a lot on the weather as well. Ohio weather is very unpredictable.

Just a few thoughts from someone living in Ohio who has also been to flight fest a few times.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Not sure if I will make it up. Hope to do Thur-Sat

EDIT.... Maybe I should throw some scrap parts in my car and see what happens... I live a mile from my normal flying spot and don't leave them in the car much. I camped at FF in a tent made for the bed of my truck and kept all my flyers in a tent on the ground.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with LitterBug, you will need to get it out of your car and under some shade.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hey Ya'll,

I'll have quite a few 3D printed flying things with me at Flite Fest this year. I'm staying at a nearby hotel, so will be driving in to the event in the mornings, and leaving stuff in my car throughout the day when I'm not flying. I'd like to bring everything I want to fly for the day and leave it in the car rather than drive back and forth from the hotel. I'm worried stuff will start to melt in the heat.

Any tips? I'll probably leave my windows cracked. Does anybody use the windshield reflector things? Does that keep your car cool enough? What other tips do you have to keep your 3D printed aircraft from melting in your car during the summer?

Thanks!
@NickRehm
I have not registered yet.... But will probably be camping on site Thursday- Saturday. You could store stuff at my tent spot. I will keep you posted! PM me if interested.

Cheers!
LitterBug

From a past, very rainy FF
155948_1cf069b53c1066a78fac412ad00fd5a9.jpg

EDIT: I have now registered as a pilot, Tent camper, and Volunteer. I am all in for FF23!

Last edited: