Total newb just trying to maiden my Simple Cub!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great tip! Will definitely make a point to do that next time...

Two more questions:
  1. Looking for super slow, stable park fliers - what're the best FT Speed Build kits that fit that profile? I just bought a Tiny Trainer thinking that might be a good get as I wear down the Cub, but would love other thoughts.
  2. Is it worth getting a Gyro setup? I figured learning without it would be best, but have heard it recommended once or twice...
The old speedster would fit the criteria nicely, it is incredibly forgiving and flies very slowly. I haven’t built one yet, but I’ve heard many good things about the storch. I’m not a big fan of gyros personally, I prefer how planes fly without them for the most part, but they do have their place.

OliverW

Legendary member
The old speedster would fit the criteria nicely, it is incredibly forgiving and flies very slowly. I haven’t built one yet, but I’ve heard many good things about the storch. I’m not a big fan of gyros personally, I prefer how planes fly without them for the most part, but they do have their place.
And for newer people in the hobby it can be a bad thing as a lot of them do a good portion of the work for you

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Lets we all welcome @InsatiableAmos, the newest member of the pole-ringers club. Dont worry hanger, with a little more practice you too can join. we are saving a seat for you.
what about me??? there is only one pole on our entire farm that would be possible to hit... and there is absolutely no chance i'm going to hit it ..... not

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Success! Hand-launch with a clean wing worked great, and I even managed two soft landings in a row...not even a somersault. That third landing, though...less gentle.

Here's a video for anyone who needs a chuckle:

(now back to the workbench for some repairs...)
You inspired me. My first Cub was beat to death and I'd built it with heavy FB anyway so I'm finishing a new one with DTFB. Much lighter and will probably fly much slower. I've been won over to the dark side though, I've ironed the edges and coated with minwax poly to get it ready to paint. All that extra work is sure to be the kiss of death on the maiden - if I'd left it raw it would fly like a dream! How did your repairs go?

You inspired me. My first Cub was beat to death and I'd built it with heavy FB anyway so I'm finishing a new one with DTFB. Much lighter and will probably fly much slower. I've been won over to the dark side though, I've ironed the edges and coated with minwax poly to get it ready to paint. All that extra work is sure to be the kiss of death on the maiden - if I'd left it raw it would fly like a dream! How did your repairs go?

All went well! Got it back in the air about a week later and succeeded in landing gently enough to not require any further repairs, but cut the session short due to high winds.

Learning! Going to build myself a tiny trainer to fly alongside this and see if it's any easier/simpler for some of the smaller fields around me.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
All went well! Got it back in the air about a week later and succeeded in landing gently enough to not require any further repairs, but cut the session short due to high winds.

Learning! Going to build myself a tiny trainer to fly alongside this and see if it's any easier/simpler for some of the smaller fields around me.
Excellent! If you can take off, fly, land and fly again without repairs you are getting good. I found out the hard way on the tiny trainer to either put it on wheels or buy a bunch of props. It is a lot of fun to fly.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Excellent! If you can take off, fly, land and fly again without repairs you are getting good. I found out the hard way on the tiny trainer to either put it on wheels or buy a bunch of props. It is a lot of fun to fly.
Had 6 Tiny trainers now and only broke one prop what the hell you doing man lol :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: . your suppose to turn the motor off before it hits the ground :rolleyes:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Ian, if you only broke one prop I bow to the master! Until I put skis and then wheels on mine I had props coming on a subscription service. It got so bad that I took the prop off, went out and hand launched it to check the glide and came back in and the prop on my work bench was broken! Seriously, once I started using ATP props the problem went away.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I use Gemfan 6x4 not expensive and really robust, they take a good hit as I said I only lost one with my Tiny trainers. Other planes and other props are a different matter. I bought a bunch of orange 10" GWS props (really cheap) from Banggood they break just by looking at them and that's using a prop saver too. The Rubber bands lasted longer than the props :LOL::LOL:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Ian, if you only broke one prop I bow to the master! Until I put skis and then wheels on mine I had props coming on a subscription service. It got so bad that I took the prop off, went out and hand launched it to check the glide and came back in and the prop on my work bench was broken! Seriously, once I started using ATP props the problem went away.
Have you considered a folding prop system they work really well. I would suggest modifying the nose on the Tiny though, by using the glider nose and adapt it to a fixed motor mount (as opposed to the swappable power pod) strap the battery on top and cover with a plastic cowl. I use the battery top mounting on my Tiny trainers so I can use a 3s 700 or 1000mAh lipo.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
IMG-20200623-WA0009.jpeg