Tricopter unstable

Top shelf

Hi I cant seem to get my tricopter too long in the air. Once I pop it up it always drifts to the left. Mind you im not using any right stick just the elevator. Heres a crappy video

Specs. Electro hub frame
dt750
20a afro esc
kk2 board
Digital Servo

I went through the steps up setting it up using Rcexplorers kk2 board set up guide. I havent balanced the props but I would thought it would still fly without it. Im kind of at a loss and getting discouraged since each time I try something new and put it in the air something breaks. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Is that the rudder setting in channel 4? I set it to -100.

I'm talking about 'Offset' in the mixer editor on channel 4. It's right under 'Rudder' (at least on steveis 1.17). The default is 50, which means the servo is right in the middle at rest. You want it tilted some to counteract the yaw.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Could it be trims too? When flying multicopters the trims usually have to be in the center.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
As in transmitter trims are centered and subtrims are 0'd and the copter still yaws?

If so, adjust center of that servo with the offset ala Codemonkey's post.

Top shelf

As in transmitter trims are centered and subtrims are 0'd and the copter still yaws?

If so, adjust center of that servo with the offset ala Codemonkey's post.

Ill try what he suggested but im curious if it was just a yaw issue; wouldnt it just spin in place? Something is causing it to drift backwards once its yaw'd. Ill try again with some improvised landing gear. The delrin landing gear has already broken up from my test flights. School is really hindering the progress of my build lol Im literally test flying this thing on my smoke breaks.

Last edited:

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Like already suggested, I suspect the only problem is yaw servo offset.
You can try every inputs (roll, pitch, yaw) on the ground with "low throttle".
Just apply enough to move it on the ground, no need to take off.
Well, that's I do for testing and first flight at the field (did I tried taking off with mixed cw and ccw props? :D)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Ill try what he suggested but im curious if it was just a yaw issue; wouldnt it just spin in place?

Theoretically, yes.

However there is an element of unpredictability here. You, the human pilot with the urge to prevent a crash and more breakage, are the wildcard.

Yaw is one of the toughest things for a new pilot to learn. It is unnerving when your copter spins as you lose orientation and the sticks reverse when the copter faces you. If we correct the spin, any other issues will likely be simple by comparison.

The solution to offset yaw may not fix the problem. But doing so will likely allow you to fix the problem. :)