UK Equivalent of US Flite Fest?

Garethgr

Crashing comes naturally
Hey all,
Just wanted to know if there was a UK equivalent of the Flite Fest in the US, for those unable to travel abroad?

Thanks in advance :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
We had a MeetUp in France last year, but it wasn't comparable to something like Flite Fest...

I have done alot of research in the field of RC aircraft shows in the UK, and there are not many at all. RC Flying is not as big as it is in America, Why i do not know.

But it would be fantastic if some one could organize some sort of event for the south of UK, I am even willing to be a representative to help organize or go meet people to help.
It would be truly fantastic to have something that we could do to really help draw more people to the wonderful world of RC flight.

Garethgr

Crashing comes naturally
I would be keen for a meetup somewhere, maybe to swap some ideas and learn from others who fly.

Ground loop

Free Flight Indoorist
The spocktra50 guys from Youtube will probably be having another Spockfest this year. Last years was a huge success.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
HobbyKing has an annual fly-in at Elmsett, in the August-September time frame. They used to call it simply "Hobbyking Elmsett UK fly-in," (see this link) but then last year following Flitetest's successful "Flitefest," Hobbyking renamed their fly-in "HobbyKing Festival of Flight" (see this link). Gee wonder where they got the idea for that name? :rolleyes:

Andy Ritchie

It would be great if there was something up here in the North East of Scotland! We have a club up here the Buchan Aeromodellers but I have gone down to their field a couple of times and I have been made to feel rather unwelcome, most of the members there seem to look down their nose at any kind of foamie model, it seems that anything less than a couple of hundred quid for a model is, somehow, undesirable! I am on a very strict budget for my hobby and I am quite happy to batter out a couple of models from depron and go down to the local park to fly! I would be very interested in meeting fellow modellers who are of a like mind as myself instead of being made to feel like the very very poor cousin lol!!

KMD

I'm stuck out here in Northern Ireland and I can't even find a club I think would be worth joining. My local club is far from inclusive and the very idea of having kids learn to fly there is unthinkable.

I have quite a bit of experience organising events, I'm knee deep in our local music festival at the moment. I would love to do somthing like this.

I think if we could find a central location and list of people willing to try to pull it off we could spitball for a while and get a plan together, then try and kickstart this idea like FT did with the first flitefest.

I'll gladly throw my hat into the ring!

StuartPB

Just read this thread and thought I'd throw my thoughts in. I'm an event organiser, MD and general dogsbody for a social enterprise in Doncaster, South Yorks. We plan and run community events and activities but I'd love to attend a large rc flight event. If anyone ever wanted to try and get one up and running here I have a lot of event equipment that could be used, PA systems, gazebos, tables, safety equipment etc. etc. and working relationships with external event contractors such as catering etc. Most of the external contractors pay a pitch fee to attend our events. I'd happily lend the equipment that we have for a one or two day event, freely as long as the event was properly planned. The main costs as I see it would be:

Public Liability Insurance
Promotion Costs
Land Hire

Doncaster would be a great venue for such an event as it's pretty central in England and has great road and rail links. It would need a few people with experience of club flying etc. but I could help with logistics, equipment and promotion, if anyone wants to have a go at getting an event up and running. I'm a web developer by trade so web promotion would be easy enough to sort.

I'd love to take my kids to such an event, they would enjoy it just as much as I would:D

PaulMorris

Just read this thread and thought I'd throw my thoughts in. I'm an event organiser, MD and general dogsbody for a social enterprise in Doncaster, South Yorks. We plan and run community events and activities but I'd love to attend a large rc flight event. If anyone ever wanted to try and get one up and running here I have a lot of event equipment that could be used, PA systems, gazebos, tables, safety equipment etc. etc. and working relationships with external event contractors such as catering etc. Most of the external contractors pay a pitch fee to attend our events. I'd happily lend the equipment that we have for a one or two day event, freely as long as the event was properly planned. The main costs as I see it would be:

Public Liability Insurance
Promotion Costs
Land Hire

Doncaster would be a great venue for such an event as it's pretty central in England and has great road and rail links. It would need a few people with experience of club flying etc. but I could help with logistics, equipment and promotion, if anyone wants to have a go at getting an event up and running. I'm a web developer by trade so web promotion would be easy enough to sort.

I'd love to take my kids to such an event, they would enjoy it just as much as I would:D

I can't help but mention a location, Locko Park it's south of Doncaster and hosts LARP events a few times a year, if you want space to fly and camp and some great hills to play glider golf this is it.

PaulMorris

It would be great if there was something up here in the North East of Scotland! We have a club up here the Buchan Aeromodellers but I have gone down to their field a couple of times and I have been made to feel rather unwelcome, most of the members there seem to look down their nose at any kind of foamie model, it seems that anything less than a couple of hundred quid for a model is, somehow, undesirable! I am on a very strict budget for my hobby and I am quite happy to batter out a couple of models from depron and go down to the local park to fly! I would be very interested in meeting fellow modellers who are of a like mind as myself instead of being made to feel like the very very poor cousin lol!!

I'm apprehensive at approaching my local club, from looking at the club photos I see nothing other than old guys with expensive models. I really hope you find a group that fits.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
I'm in Dublin, I was over for the Large Model Association show at Elvington weekend before last. Had a blast and even got to go to my buddies flying club in Hibaldstow for the day. If there were a flitefest type event in the UK, I'd be well up for it!

AndyP57

There is massive interest and has been for many, many years (I've been attending flying events since the early 1960's) for model flying of all kinds in the UK and as such there are plenty of events. None are anything like Flite Fest though. Having attended this year and intend doing in 2017, I think the FF guys have hit upon a unique combination of informality and family fun that hasn't been replicated anywhere else in the world (nor would be).