UMX receiver question

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
So I have an old hobby zone champ receiver (the 3 channel version), and I would like to use it, but it is missing the power leads and antenna. The power leads should be simple enough to deal with, but it is the antenna that I am worrying about. I don't have the old one, but I know where on the receiver it would mount, so I wanted to know if I could just get a small dipole/whip antenna and solder it on where the old one used to be. Also, I have an old orangerx receiver with one of two antennas missing, so I was wondering if I could use the one remaining antenna as a replacement to fix the umx receiver. Thanks for the help guys! Also, let me know if you need any pics of stuff.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
As long as you get polarity correct on the power that should be simple. As for the antenna if you know where the ground and core were soldered originally you could replace it with and similar diameter coax antenna wire that suits your length needs. You just have to be accurate and expose 31.23mm (1/4th the size of a 2.4ghz wave AKA quarter wave) of the core at the end of the coax as that is the actual antenna part.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
As long as you get polarity correct on the power that should be simple. As for the antenna if you know where the ground and core were soldered originally you could replace it with and similar diameter coax antenna wire that suits your length needs. You just have to be accurate and expose 31.23mm (1/4th the size of a 2.4ghz wave AKA quarter wave) of the core at the end of the coax as that is the actual antenna part.
Cool! One more question though, the antenna seems to have been soldered to one spot on the receiver (there is only one pad where it was attached), so how careful do I have to be about separating the ground and core?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
sounds like they used just a shielded wire and only connected the core. You can do the same thing. Just make sure the ground / shielding can not short on anything like the core or any power traces on the receiver. If you solder the ground and core then the ground becomes the antenna and is the wrong length. If you are fairly good at soldering you could ground the shield to one of the negative traces on the receiver. The important thing is the exposed core and leaving no potential for shorting anything out if the antenna can move around.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Thanks for the help! One more quick question though (hopefully only one more). I found this picture of a new receiver board.
PKZ3352_450.jpg

The thin wire sticking out is the antenna. Do you know if this is just the shielded wire you were talking about? Or is it an actual antenna? The pad to solder it onto is about a millimeter in diameter, so I feel like they would only use the core of the antenna. What do you think?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Actually I think that I just completely realized what you said. I think that I know what to do now. Do you think that you can still look over my last post and check my thinking though?