*Unofficial* FT Tutor

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Here's a progress update on my Tutor. I applied some of the decals that come with the SBK over an all-white paint scheme, and I do like it.

I still have to install the wing servos, motor, and electronics.

Unfortunately, when I was painting, I put the hatch a little too far over in my garage, and then ran over it later with my car ;-) I'll build a new one from DTFB.
If there are any scrap pieces left over from the sbk that are large enough, you could build one from that. Or, even splice a couple pieces together, to make it large enough.

If there are any scrap pieces left over from the sbk that are large enough, you could build one from that.
Good point, thanks, yes I think there is still plenty (haven't thrown anything out yet.) In fact, I could probably find where I punched the piece out and use that as a template for the other dimensions.

Winglet

I have mine finished and ready for paint and radio installation. Yes, this kit is extremely well done. Best FT kit I have build so far. Nice work Flite Test. I did add flaps to mine. Very easy mod.

jack10525

I bought the speed build kit. The box was damaged in the mail which crinkled/wrinkled some foam pieces. Contacted flite test but they didn't seem to interested. Bad on them.

Built the fuselage and then the power pod. Tried putting power pod inside fuselage but it wouldn't fit. Power pod is too wide. Not sure how this happened since I've built many, many speed build kits and scratchbuilds. Anyway I had to take a few mm's out of the width of the powerpod to get it to fit. Not going so good.

Got the plane mostly built now I'm working on the landing gear. I'm doing the tail dragger version. Not sure if I'll do the tricycle gear.

Hopefully I can get a maiden this weekend.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I bought the speed build kit. The box was damaged in the mail which crinkled/wrinkled some foam pieces. Contacted flite test but they didn't seem to interested. Bad on them.

Built the fuselage and then the power pod. Tried putting power pod inside fuselage but it wouldn't fit. Power pod is too wide. Not sure how this happened since I've built many, many speed build kits and scratchbuilds. Anyway I had to take a few mm's out of the width of the powerpod to get it to fit. Not going so good.

Got the plane mostly built now I'm working on the landing gear. I'm doing the tail dragger version. Not sure if I'll do the tricycle gear.

One thing you could have done wrong is done a A fold instead of a B fold on the top plate of the fuesalage. That’s what a friend of mine did on his tutor and what I did on my spitfire. It completely messes everything up😕

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Did the Tutor SBK with the turbo wing. Super easy build.

Maidened with Emax 2215 (old C pack) and 3s 1300 mAH. Very snappy roll and pitch. Fast aerobatics and slow landings make it a nice all-around plane. It can fly easily in the size of a baseball diamond.

I am going to slap a C pack rotary so I can use 4s - so I can get unlimited vertical (to 400’ - grin).

Nice job Josh and the FT team!

Steve Henry’s YeeHaw 7 Highlander, self-cut from DTFB from FT Tutor SBK pattern:

3F2776F5-A167-4577-A0EC-541E6EC2CFA0.jpeg

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member

Make another PowerPod, but be sure to do the correct A fold (sides ABOVE the bottom).

Winglet

The power pod is a very snug fit. But...makes it very strong. The build calls for the paper to removed from the doublers to create just enough extra room for the pod. If you fail to do this or you go heavy on the glue it might be difficult to fit the pod?

Intashu

Elite member
The power pod is a very snug fit. But...makes it very strong. The build calls for the paper to removed from the doublers to create just enough extra room for the pod. If you fail to do this or you go heavy on the glue it might be difficult to fit the pod?
I traced a plan and scratch built mine... Forgot paper removal on the doublers....

Can confirm it's a VERY tight fit for the motor pod if you forget. I am actually re-making the motor pod a hair narrower tonight as it presses the nose open enough that the hatch doesn't fit nearly as well anymore with large gaps on either side.

For kicks I ordered up the sunny sky motor that Flite Test is using as their upgraded as the "next power step up from" C pack motor. Going to see how well this Trainer plane can rip on 4s and a 10x7 prop. I dunno what I'm training for, but it will be a quick lesson I imagine.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I traced a plan and scratch built mine... Forgot paper removal on the doublers....

Can confirm it's a VERY tight fit for the motor pod if you forget. I am actually re-making the motor pod a hair narrower tonight as it presses the nose open enough that the hatch doesn't fit nearly as well anymore with large gaps on either side.

For kicks I ordered up the sunny sky motor that Flite Test is using as their upgraded C pack motor. Going to see how well this Trainer plane can rip on 4s and a 10x7 prop. I dunno what I'm training for, but it will be a quick lesson I imagine.
I don't think the Sunnysky 2814 is a replacement for the C pack ”Radial" motor. The C pack motor can already do 4s - the larger 2814 is for larger warbirds such as the new Master Series T-6.

Last edited:

Intashu

Elite member
I don't think the Sunnysky 2814 is a replacement for the C pack "Rotary" motor. The C pack motor can already do 4s - the larger 2814 is for larger warbirds such as the new Master Series T-6.
I choose my words poorly. "It's a step UP from the C-pack motor" would be a better statement I guess.

I actually have another motor that's roughly the same size as this, but I suspect due to it being a cheap-o motor, that this Sunnysky will be much more fun.

And who doesn't love excessive power?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I choose my words poorly. "It's a step UP from the C-pack motor" would be a better statement I guess.

I actually have another motor that's roughly the same size as this, but I suspect due to it being a cheap-o motor, that this Sunnysky will be much more fun.

When FT recommends A, I use F, when they recommend B, I use C - and now I think I will do the same - MO POWA!

speedy7385

As I understand that Sunnysky 2814 is equivalent to 3536 motor size, 130g.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
In case you missed it on the last podcast, or the social media posts, the FT Tutor plans will be made available to FTCA Air Crew members only in the November newsletter which should be arriving tomorrow (November 12). If you want access to the plans, you need to sign up for Air Crew before the newsletter is sent.