Raxaphone

Hey everyone, I'm new to scratch building and I don't really know how to use plans. I've decided on GrizWiz's Mighty Mini bf-109, I've got my hardware and will soon have my foamboard, but I'm not sure how exactly to print the plans or how to use them. Any help much appreciated!

luvmy40

Elite member
Down load Adobe Acrobat, open the plans file, if you have full size plans, print in poster mode no scaling, if the plans are already tiled, print 100%, pin and tape the plans together. Once you have the plans printed and assembled you can either tape them to your foam board or use a craft spray adhesive, apply a very light coat to the back of the plans and let it dry well before applying the plans to the foam board. Cut the parts with a scalpel or craft razor knife.

luvmy40

Elite member
Or, you can really go deep in this rabbit hole and build a CNC needle cutter and learn how to use Inkscape to process the plans into G Code.

Draftman1

If your new to building with foam board, I would certainly try a simpler plane to build,
There is a learning curve, I would suggest build a few of the simple series then advance to the flight test master series, the mini type master series do require some build experience.

Have fun and enjoy building

ColoFlyer

Hey everyone, I'm new to scratch building and I don't really know how to use plans. I've decided on GrizWiz's Mighty Mini bf-109, I've got my hardware and will soon have my foamboard, but I'm not sure how exactly to print the plans or how to use them. Any help much appreciated!
Maybe this will help

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I second Draftman's suggestion- Me-109s can be tricky to fly. You may want to start with something with a slightly longer lifespan. That said, if you're committed to the mighty minis, then enjoy! I use a LIGHT coat of 3M spray adhesive to attach my plans to foamboard for cutting. Be prepared to burn through a few Exacto knives- when it starts pulling the foam rather than cutting, its time to change blades for a new one.

Remember, foam board is cheap. If your Me-109 goes down in flames, pull the electronics out and start over. That's part of the fun- I have an 70mm EDF setup that has been in about 7 different planes so far.

Raxaphone

I second Draftman's suggestion- Me-109s can be tricky to fly. You may want to start with something with a slightly longer lifespan. That said, if you're committed to the mighty minis, then enjoy! I use a LIGHT coat of 3M spray adhesive to attach my plans to foamboard for cutting. Be prepared to burn through a few Exacto knives- when it starts pulling the foam rather than cutting, its time to change blades for a new one.

Remember, foam board is cheap. If your Me-109 goes down in flames, pull the electronics out and start over. That's part of the fun- I have an 70mm EDF setup that has been in about 7 different planes so far.
If your new to building with foam board, I would certainly try a simpler plane to build,
There is a learning curve, I would suggest build a few of the simple series then advance to the flight test master series, the mini type master series do require some build experience.

Have fun and enjoy building
I agree, 109's have a learning curve but I'm not new to flying, just building. I've got plenty of experience flying. I did decide to go with the swappable 109 inspired by the ft spit since I've got a tight budget and not having to buy another power pack for every build will be gre

Cnat

In adobe print it as a poster. Ive also printed mine as just the A pages but my printer cuts off the bottom alignment marks so that makes it hard.

Also use a yardstick or something for your strait lines. I just started doing this, and its made a HUGE improvement on my models. But I echo what everyone else is saying. For your first scratch build id build something easy like the simple cub because learning how to cut the pieces out of the foam accurately can be a little bit of a challenge the first few. Have fun!

Raxaphone

I got access to more servos, another motor, and batteries so I have the spare parts to make a second plane. I'll probably take the recommendations and start with a cub/simple trainer to get some base experience first. Thanks everyone!