V-Tail Quad - BUILD

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Anyone know of the setup recommended in the first post can carry extra weight like a GoPro? Or would you need a different motor/ESC combo?

I'd guess so. I have a similar motor / prop combination on a standard quad and it hovers below half throttle.

If a GoPro is too heavy, you could always try a Mobius.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
is this quad more efficient than a regular quad?

No, it's less effective since a little bit of downwards thrust from the rear motors is lost by tilting the motors.

But you gain a lot in respect of yaw, since it does not rely on torque changes alone, but can use the back motors to move sideways.

David would say, you get more swooshiness ;)

kkmalu

Hey Guys,
I have build my v-tail quad and using kk2.1 (flashed with v1.19s1 firmware). I ran into a problem where sometimes some of the motors will stop spinning (shut off) at low-mid range throttle so fixed it by increasing the min. throttle from 10 to 11.
Now I have another problem and cannot seem to fix it:
All the ESCs are calibrated multiple times and the motors all start at the same time and same speed when I throttle up. But after 10-15 secs the motor 1 will speed up until it reaches full speed. I tried swapping ESCs, it did not fix. I plugged motor 2 in place of motor 1 and now the motor 2 speeds up. Seems like motor-1 position on the Kk2 board has some issues...
Anybody else having the same problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it or what is causing it?
Thanks!

JAG

Is this with the quad in the air or on the ground just idling up? If you are just barely throttling it up, that is normal for some of the motors to spin up higher because of the leveling.

kkmalu

Is this with the quad in the air or on the ground just idling up? If you are just barely throttling it up, that is normal for some of the motors to spin up higher because of the leveling.

It is on the ground. My throttle position is anywhere between 25-75% and the motor 1 position speeds up even on a level surface where I do my ACC calibration - Is this normal?
Once I give some throttle to see if the speed comes back to normal - it doesn't!

JAG

Yeah that sounds normal. Just punch the throttle to hop it off the ground, and see how see holds.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The better question would be which one's can't.

Any flight controller that cannot have custom mixes or lacks a built-in V-tail model . . .

Naza.

That's just about the only mainstream controller that can't do a V-tail (although you *can* put it on a V-tail frame and tell it it's a quad, but it'll fly more like a quad with a bad layout).

So take your pick of what's left -- Naze, multiwii, Pixhawk, Amp, Sparky, Brain . . . anything but a Naza

Merrixs

Thanks for the replies fellas. I got my VQuad up and running yesterday with the KK2 board that I have. I think I need to adjust the gains a bit, but it flies really nice until it gets hit by a gust of wind. Anyway, I was thinking about trying to use the KK2 board on a helicopter project I am also working on and was thinking about getting a different type of controller so that I had some variety. That was the reason for my question.

I have some to add to brettp2004's question about self level forward drift. I used about 1.5" of additional height under my front landing gear to calibrate the board and it worked quite well.