Weekender Warbirds - REVIEW

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

weekender-6-jpg_1394464646.jpg

The name of the game here is scale and these three warbirds know how to play the game.
We flew the P-51D Mustang, Hawker Hurricane, and F4U Corsair from the Hitec Weekender series.
SPECS INCOMING!

weekender-4-jpg_1394464640.jpg

weekender-3-jpg_1394464636.jpg

weekender-2-jpg_1394464633.jpg

weekender-8-jpg_1394464651.jpg

All these planes have a steerable tail wheel, which work great on hard surfaces, but if you're trying to take off on grass or rocks, you might just want to hand launch.
Keep the throttle at about 3/4 and try not to throw into a stall. Be ready for the torque of the motor to give you left turn tendency.

weekender-9-jpg_1394464652.jpg

These warbirds fly just how they look. Awesome!

weekender-10-jpg_1394464657.jpg

Beginners beware! Any plane that flys scale isn't a great start if you are learning.
The phrase 'warbird tendencies' exists for a reason!
They need a good amount of speed and the stall is much deeper than a trainer. A good tip is to fly the wing and not the prop.

weekender-16-jpg_1394464673.jpg

We were flying these guys "dirty" which simply means we kept all the armaments on (drop tanks, missiles, landing gear, etc.). This creates more drag but keeps the scale look and feel.
If you are worried about the extra drag, all the armaments can be removed easily or you can mod them to fit on with magnets!

weekender-12-jpg_1394464666.jpg

These are definitely great 3rd or 4th planes.
You definitely want to have a good sense of 4-channel controls to fly these at their full potential.

weekender-15-jpg_1394464670.jpg

Overall we were extremely impressed with all of these planes. A great start if you would like to get into bigger scale planes.

weekender-13-jpg_1394464668.jpg

Keep your eyes open for something new! We are trying a formate we like to call Build, Tune, Fly or B.T.F.
On Wednesday we take a closer look at the P51D Mustang!

What is your favorite scale warbird?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
These are very cool! I can't wait for the in-depth look at these! Mustang is my favorite...

TwinDillema1701

After watching this video and seeing a post on the FT FB page I went out and bought the Corsair...It was a steal for 50 bucks from Hitec. I don't plan on flying it until I am used to flying a plane with Ailerons. I will be picking up a Sport Cub S as my first plane before moving into this. I want to take my time with this. Any word on if there will be a build tune and fly on the Corsair? Thanks

Grauwulf

Hmm, well don't I look a tad foolish. I totally didn't look to see what the original post date was. Whoops.