What Did You Fly Today

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Half of the good flying is based on the plane. The wing span is 34". And it has only six parts to cut out. Change it up to a motor/prop and add landing gear and this is what you get. A very stable STOL when you also add my design of end plates and go for it. The trees are over 100+ft and I am sure I could fly within the bounds of just the parking lot and do steep landings. As you can see, pull the nose up steeper and it drops more, push towards level and with practice you can land it anywhere. More you practice, better you get. Good practice for sensing EDF landings.

I use a E flite 1360 kv motor with a 9x3/8SF prop and with the landing gear, gives you something else to do rather than bore holes in the sky.
Plans are available at RCGroups (label is Allycat) and if you adapt to your build material, you can have a fun time. Will help guide you on your questions if any..

Very cool! I should really prototype my U2 with that type of construction, then move on to the more curvy construction. It's been stalled out too long!

Cheers!
LitterBug

L Edge

Master member
Very cool! I should really prototype my U2 with that type of construction, then move on to the more curvy construction. It's been stalled out too long!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Yup, that is the way to go especially to keep it light especially using EDF's. I did a SR-71, A-10, F-117 and DarkStar, X-47B that way. The A-10 and SR-71 can even be hand released to launch.

DazDaMan

Elite member
Me and the Spitfire had the flying site to ourselves for about an hour this morning. The wind got up a little, but we had fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20240427_113822_134.jpg
    IMG_20240427_113822_134.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
Saturday I went to ‘Gallox Hill fort’ - site of an ancient settlement but is nowadays just a spot with really nice views and a variety of trees dotted upon it. Figured it would be a good spot for a mini plane and it had been a while since I flew either of my Eachine minis, so I took the P-51 up with me.

8DD10EF2-03C3-4521-B475-018DCBCD0044.jpeg

Today, having replaced another snapped antenna on my DX6i, the Su-35 V5 as my trusty test pilot (if any plane’s gonna have signal issues it’s this one) went up above Exmore in medium but consistent winds that often blow above the moors. I dunno why I’ve never taken an RC Powers parkjet up here before, it’s a real playground for them. Not the longest flight though, this model’s draggy profile means it drinks up 2200mAh on 3s pretty quick when speeding against the wind. No signal issues though, so a good chunk of the fleet is now back in the air!

IMG_1316.jpeg

Some thick but inconsistent clouds made for a pretty dramatic backdrop as well! Think this flight is going to be getting its own video.

F.K1999

Today I finally regained FPV capability after half a year of forced break due to transmitter replacement and FPV ground station troubles. Still have no DVR, however it would be installed soon.
484ADCE1-A52D-43B4-BF4A-7DF5E734B01B.jpeg

And as an airplane I flew another iteration of my small “pocket plane” - unlike previous one, this was made using my newly discovered technique - EPP+elastic epoxy+fiberglass. This combination proved to be absolutely amazing - it’s just impossible to crash. It also has much smoother surfaces and stays dry and clean, unlike bare EPP. And it also has decent rigidity, while not becoming brittle, unlike fiberglass and conventional epoxy.
2ABFCD50-92F1-4968-8B99-F7C889ECEC13.jpeg
39E4B15B-D95E-49AD-9C5E-D30416227F2E.jpeg
50962670-4E0D-4142-81BE-6A4342ED4736.jpeg
However this plane is kind of a flying brick due to high wing loading, tiny wingspan and aspect ratio. It immediately stalls after reducing power. It can glide, everything can, but have to maintain a very steep dive angle. I basically had to trade its aerodynamics for weight and size saving . So it completely fits my personal requirements.

Foamforce

I light-weighted a new Foam Wonder. I started with some thinner than normal foam board, peeled the paper, and applied packing tape. The motor is a 2205 2350kv with 20a ESC, 6x4 prop, and 5g servos. Dry weight is 234g plus 67g for a 950mah 3s, for an all up weight of 301g. That’s compared to 445g on the normal one, so about 33% lighter. I have another smaller 3s, but the 950mah gave me much better flight time.

I was flying it in some 25mph winds today and it was a hoot! Very fast (by my standards) and it tossed around in the wind nicely. This motor can handle 5s, so I’m going to have to give that a shot sometime. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_4488.jpeg
    IMG_4488.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4489.jpeg
    IMG_4489.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I've been experimenting with flying my F power pack planes with a 2s 800mah battery and I'm surprised at how well (maybe even better) the planes fly. Took my 125% LongEZ out this morning in about 10mph wind. Flew most of the time at half throttle and after 5 minutes still had 30% battery left. I've still got to tame the ailerons, in the next iteration I'll cut them by 1/3 and see how it does.