What do people use for wheels.

clynnk

I built an airplane with a 6 ft wingspan. It weighs approx 13 lbs. I made some wheels out of DTFB with duck tape on the outside. Needless to say they got tore up on first landing. Any ideas?

RossFPV

I built an airplane with a 6 ft wingspan. It weighs approx 13 lbs. I made some wheels out of DTFB with duck tape on the outside. Needless to say they got tore up on first landing. Any ideas?
If you have a 3d printer you can print some. You could use the 4 inch wheels that FT sells too

clynnk

I wish I had a 3d printer. I actually just found some training wheels that I’ll try. I’ll try that. thanks for your help!!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have used the anti-fatigue mat foam (4-pack at harbor-freight) with a soda or gatorade Drink. (I have seen it done with a Alum Can bottom too. (article is here somewhere) the foam is light and durable. the plastic caps can be reinforced with spare prop hubs sized for the landing wire. 6.5 lbd per wheel is a lot. On bigger models I use two or three layers of foam matting. they can be shaped with sandpaper well.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
13lbs is a pretty substantial plane, even at 6'

You can make a pretty good set of wheels using the method FT uses on planes like the bushwacker if you modify them a bit. I use a wood piece (used chunk of wooden ruler last time) glued to the insides of the hub then a nylon bushing inserted into them that just fits the gear wire/axle. All can be found at most any hardware store.

clynnk

image.jpg

skymaster

Elite member
You said any ideas right. ok so i was just making myself a cup of coffee and i had just read your answer to my question. so here it goes do you drink ground coffee if u buy the can one u could use the lids of plastic and sandwich a piece of DTFB with the lids. that should give u a little bit of strength to them or if u have some cd's or DVD's that u don't want or that they don't work anymore try to split them in half cd's have layer's just ask Shrek. if you split them in half make a sandwich of dtfb and u got a nice wheel. here is something that just popped in my head if you could get a pool noodle cut it straight down the same with of the wheel and glue it to it instead of duct Tape. what do you think?

tamuct01

There is a Thingiverse model for wheel hubs that work with pool noodles for tires. I've printed out a bunch for a kids' STEM project, but I can't say exactly how well they work. They should be great for small to mid-size models.

clynnk

You said any ideas right. ok so i was just making myself a cup of coffee and i had just read your answer to my question. so here it goes do you drink ground coffee if u buy the can one u could use the lids of plastic and sandwich a piece of DTFB with the lids. that should give u a little bit of strength to them or if u have some cd's or DVD's that u don't want or that they don't work anymore try to split them in half cd's have layer's just ask Shrek. if you split them in half make a sandwich of dtfb and u got a nice wheel. here is something that just popped in my head if you could get a pool noodle cut it straight down the same with of the wheel and glue it to it instead of duct Tape. what do you think?
I like it. I may experiment with some of that. We’ll see ;)

Hondo76251

Legendary member
We did a little competition here a few times, had some pretty cool "bush planes" competing for a portion of it to see how much weight they could lift. The wheels on this are just oversized versions of the ft wheels with internal wooden reinforcement, nylon bushings, and hockey tape. I've abused them mercilessly and they're still going strong even today.