What spray paint to use on Dollar Tree foamboard?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
all this talk about painting got me looking on paints, and tools. so i started looking and came up on this item, any one ever tried it. take a look. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748KZFQK/?tag=lstir-20. might check it out.

I've looked at those, and from what I understand, they suffer the same issue that most of the compressed air spray cans do - as you use them, they tend to get cold and lose pressure due to the escaping gas. I'm leaning towards the airbrush method, or using a bit of polyurethane on the paper and THEN painting with a spray can (again, with a light coat).

Javiester

Elite member
my second TT I sealed it with liquid silicone recessed with alcohol 96 to leave it with the consistency of milk and applied with a brush
the finish is a bit shiny and does not give almost weight
I have not painted over but I did the water test on a scrap piece
buy a spray of vinyl used in the tuning workshops to apply to parts and tires is very light
I have not used it with airplanes because I bought it for something else

JennyC6

Elite member
FT themselves use Rustoleum paint with no issue. And I use it as well. Added bonus: this stuff seals the DTFB against chemicals quite nicely!

skymaster

Elite member
I've looked at those, and from what I understand, they suffer the same issue that most of the compressed air spray cans do - as you use them, they tend to get cold and lose pressure due to the escaping gas. I'm leaning towards the airbrush method, or using a bit of polyurethane on the paper and THEN painting with a spray can (again, with a light coat).
well you are probably right. I stoped at hobby lobby and took a look at it 26 dollars i would rather save the money and buy a decent airbrush kit. like this one what do you think https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TO578Q/?tag=lstir-20 10 dollars more get s you a 4 year protection

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
well you are probably right. I stoped at hobby lobby and took a look at it 26 dollars i would rather save the money and buy a decent airbrush kit. like this one what do you think https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TO578Q/?tag=lstir-20 10 dollars more get s you a 4 year protection

I actually bought the "Deluxe" version of that, because I wanted the compressor with the tank. The compressors are awesome; rock solid, hold up great, and are relatively quiet as opposed to a full sized air compressor. The airbrush itself will do the job; it's decent, but if you should break anything or need replacement parts, you're better off buying a brand new airbrush. TCP Global, the company that sources the manufacturing for the Master Airbrushes, charges $15 for parts for the airbrush, but charge $25 for a brand new airbrush. They'll do the job, but if you need parts for it (i.e., you tighten down the threads too tightly and strip something), it's easier to just throw it away and buy a new one due to cost for shipping.

With the Iwatas, Hobby Lobby carries parts for them, as does Michael's (although, it varies by store as to what's in stock), as does Amazon and Coast Airbrush, one of the top rated online airbrush dealers. Many local hobby shops also carry the Iwata brand; it's very popular. Cost wise, it IS more expensive than the Master; I guess it really depends on how much you think you'll be using it. Will the Master do the job? Yes. Will that compressor last you a long time? HECK yes. But, if you're planning to use the airbrush for a lot of stuff, I might suggest planning on a new airbrush purchase in the near future after you buy that kit. The Master's a decent starter airbrush, but it's not a great airbrush...