what's the cheapest rc gas plane

Balsa to Foam

A Jack of All Planes!!!
Are you talking arf, kit, or rtf because there are enormus amounts of arf's and kits but maybe only 2 or 3 rtf gassers.
best reguards,
Jack

Team_Monkey

Yes and please clarify gas vs. nitro. Some folks confuse the use of the words and it will help to be sure your meaning. :p

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Where are you located,Krafish (my bet is Louisianna with a name like that - ha)?
The little secret is there are probably two places to get what you are looking for.
1) your local club - guys are aging and are looking for young'uns that are interested in getting into glow rc - you should get a good price and should I dare say, possibly free?
2) craigslist - where I am located the listings seem to increase and decrease over the months but there are some really good deals on there. I got a complete setup with Rudder-Elevator-Throttle plane (a Florio Nifty Fifty (50 insgspan) with an OS .25 LA engine), field box with starter, loads of extra props, etc for $75. I revived the FM radio with new battery, as well as receiver battery, and plan on using that instead of upgrading to 2.4GHz on that one. The engine fired right up and I recommend the OS LA's as a first engine. Very docile but easy starting and sound almost like a 4-stroke.

This way you don't have to build a plane, since most fuel airplanes come as sheets and sticks. I recommend building, though - I get huge amounts of enjoyment out of that.

Cheapest way to go is download and print a plan from outerzone.co.uk. Go to RCGroups or RCUniverse and post a wanted listing for an OS .25LA and you will get a response. Use HK servos.

As far as a kit, go to Sig for a Cloud Ranger - laser cut for .049 to .061 - about $50
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/IndexAircraftF.html?E+Sig

Those are my picks...
Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Pfft. Put a cox .049 on a coreflute plane and throw some servos.

Really if you want cheap true gas planes you will have to build your self. One of the guys in the articles posted a vid of his weed whacker powered gasser which seemed pretty cheap.

sierra_bravo

Are you new to the hobby because your member ID says you joined this month. If you are new to the hobby and are learning to fly first welcome to the best hobby on earth second DON'T GO GLOW. Don't get me wrong hearing a os .46 fire up and seeig it flying in the sky is great and the smell/sound of nitro oh man. But for a person who is new to the hobby the cost of geting into nitro is so high a gallon of 15% nitro cost me $28 and all the extra hidden cost. Hope you plan on getting paper towels for cleaning the plane. Oh and you need a field box to put the tools to start a nitro engine in a cheap basic tool box works just fine. Did i mention that glow engine arent as easy to start as electric and you have to tune them and break them in at first. They are also dirty with all the oil they spit out. Now I love glow so im fine with all the stuff i said before but for a new pilot that has no experencie flying glow may not be right.

Expect to spend $270 dollors plus at first then about 35 on stuff like windex, paper towels, and fuel each month. I recently got into glow also but I wad already pretty good at flying smaller foam electrics like the ft spitfire and a foam das ugly stik and before I bought anything i did ALOT of research on glow.

So for the price I would rather recommend a Apprentice S 15e its a great plane fly beautifully almost on it own. definitly check it out. But if your new to the hobby glow is not the way to go. Get some experience with flying first learn how to control the plane and not crash. One thing I would say is find a club join the club and see if you like this hobby first. Someone will let you fly their plane so you can get a taste of flying. Flight test has a whole series on getting into the hobby watch all the videos you will learn so much. If you do want to get into the hobby with a balsa glow powered plane then to get everything you need to be ready to fly then $500 is what your going to spend. The apprentice cost $300 and is ready to fly or scratch build your planes like I did. Your going to get into glow like I did but first get pretty good at flying. You dont want to wreak a balsa wood plane cause their not the easiest thing repair but foam is super easy.

Hope this helps.

-sam:cool:

Last edited:

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Are you new to the hobby because your member ID says you joined this month. If you are new to the hobby and are learning to fly DON'T GO GLOW. Don't get me wrong glow is great but not for a person who is new to the hobby. The cost of it is very high for a plane that is going to crash

Unless maybe an .049 light plane - at least a dozen plans on outerzone. However, a screaming .049 can be distracting, compared to the ease of an electric.