What's the important point for a 3d printer beginner

hoshanaeckhart

stephenleeyan
3D printing is a big complex subject so there is a lot to learn. Yes you can probably print something simple fairly easily but there are many adjustable variables that can effect the print quality. Its not so much the printer itself as how you drive it.
Printing requires two features if you want to create an object yourself.
A computer aided design programme to create an object in electronic form. This than has to be converted into a file that a slicer programme can convert into a sequential but long set of instructions that the printer can follow.
The printer itself has many settings (hundreds!) some of which you may have to 'adjust' to get the best print quality.

You can obtain a 'slicer ready' file (an stl file) but note there are several slightly different slicer programmes and the settings for a good print can depend on the model of printer or even the type of filament that you are using.

There is a lot to be said for buying one of the most popular printers. It may not have the ultimate 'bells and whistles' but its very popularity will ensure there is plenty of on line advice available to help solve specific problems portable printer.
For a beginner, key points to consider when getting a new printer include print speed, build volume, enclosure, and price. When it comes to motion systems and firmware, it's best to start with simpler options like Cartesian motion and Marlin firmware. Focus on understanding the basics before delving into more complex setups.

BillyOrk

For a beginner, key points to consider when getting a new printer include print speed, build volume, enclosure, and price. When it comes to motion systems and firmware, it's best to start with simpler options like Cartesian motion and Marlin firmware. Focus on understanding the basics before delving into more complex setups.
I read that a high print speed can affect quality. So, should I look for something not too fast?

luvmy40

Elite member
I read that a high print speed can affect quality. So, should I look for something not too fast?
You should get the best quality you can afford. You can slow things down in the slicer but you can never speed them up beyond the ability of the printer. Creality has some great economy offerings with the Ender 3 V3 (SE, KE or CoreXZ)and the Bambu Labs PS1 or X1C are on the higher end of affordable but the quality is excellent and they work OTB with no tinkering.

skymaster

Elite member
First of all, what are you planning on doing with it. if it's for the hobby at first you want to print everything but after a while it slows down and you can't seem to find anything interesting. 3d printing breaks into a couple of pieces, making things that you can't find anywhere so you got to make it yourself, so you have to learn how to use new Sofware like cad. Fusion 360 or tinker cad, and then comes the slicer how to set the best setting for your prints. If you are getting a 3d printer don't get an expensive one that does everything for you, learn how to level the bed switching parts and don't fall for modifying the printer with all the crap people put on them like chain cable management it's to much clutter. i started with a ender 3 v2 that sat in the box for like a year and than there was a sale for the same printer at 99$ so i could not pass it up. so now i have to 2. one that has made over 300 prints with one nozzle . upgraded to risco;s professional firmware and added the thumnail so i can see the image i am about to print. but there is a catch just like in Flite test if get bitten by the bug you are in trouble. main thing is to have fun and learn don't be afraid to break thing's. I am still trying to break the ground with my first tiny trainer and see if it could come out some where else. do a little research and have fun.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
You should get the best quality you can afford. You can slow things down in the slicer but you can never speed them up beyond the ability of the printer. Creality has some great economy offerings with the Ender 3 V3 (SE, KE or CoreXZ)and the Bambu Labs PS1 or X1C are on the higher end of affordable but the quality is excellent and they work OTB with no tinkering.
I agree with @luvmy40, buy the best you can afford. I started with an Ender 3v2 and had good success with it for a couple years. But, with a lower priced printer you end up working on the printer almost as much as getting work done with the printer. You might also consider the Prusa MK4 kit. It’s a blast build and an excellent printer. I’ve had mine for about a year and have had zero problems printing any filament that I’ve put in it.

Flying Farm Kid

I agree with @luvmy40, buy the best you can afford. I started with an Ender 3v2 and had good success with it for a couple years. But, with a lower priced printer you end up working on the printer almost as much as getting work done with the printer. You might also consider the Prusa MK4 kit. It’s a blast build and an excellent printer. I’ve had mine for about a year and have had zero problems printing any filament that I’ve put in it.
If build volume is not an issue I recommend starting out with An A1 mini but ender 3 v2s are decent printers if you want to tinker