Xiaomi Yi thoughts

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I recently picked up a Xiaomi Yi camera to see if it would be a viable alternative to my GoPro HERO4 Black.

The Xiaomi is slightly larger than the GoPro in every dimension, but it is lighter.

The thing about the design that I find the most strange is the lens. It is in a different location than the GoPro's lens, and it is slightly larger in diameter. This makes it incompatible with most if not all GoPro housings and lens covers. In order to use a LayerLens on the Xiaomi, I had to sand away a couple of millimeters of material from the inside of the LayerLens. The placement of the lens means that the LayerLens protrudes from the bottom of the camera.

I ended up using the LayerLens upside down.

When I tried to use the camera for the first time, didn't work well. I turned it on and started testing it out a bit, but I could not get the camera to charge the battery. I plugged it into my computer and various USB chargers I have with the camera on and off, and nothing worked. I had to buy a set of spare batteries and external charger. I was able to use the charger to charge the original battery and the two spares.

The only way to change any of the settings is through an app on your phone. The Android app wouldn't install at all on my Nexus 7, and the iOS app is completely in Chinese. This post shows the English translation for all of the settings. I probably wouldn't have been able to do much without it, and the default settings aren't great. By default, it starts in photo mode, records video at 1080p30, and has the auto low light setting on. I changed them to start in video mode, record at 1080p60, and disable auto low light.

After all of that, I was ready to record some test footage. I flew roughly the same circuit with each camera on my mini quad because there is no room to mount both cameras on it at the same time. Here are the results (check the video description to see which camera is which):

The Xiaomi footage definitely isn't as good as the GoPro, but it might be good enough.

Last edited:

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
When I tried to use the camera for the first time, didn't work well. I turned it on and started testing it out a bit, but I could not get the camera to charge the battery. I plugged it into my computer and various USB chargers I have with the camera on and off, and nothing worked. I had to buy a set of spare batteries and external charger. I was able to use the charger to charge the original battery and the two spares.
The only thing I've read about charging problems has been that it gets very hot if you charge when it is powered up. Did you use the supplied cable? Could this be a problem with the cable you were using? The micro USB "On-The-Go" interface works differently than you would expect and you can force them into the socket backwards quite easily. Perhaps it's one of those....

Best regards,
PCH

C0d3M0nk3y

I tried to use this camera again today for some testing. I was not successful. I had everything set up to fly, and the camera would not power on. After I was done flying, I tried one of the other batteries I have, and the camera powered up right away. I don't know how the first battery could have discharged even if I left the camera powered on since the camera turns off if it's not in use.

nilsen

I just ordered one, I hope that I am not dissapointed however I ordered it as a mobius replacement as it was cheaper and I was never really impressed by the quality of the mobius.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I also have one in the mail.

Thanks for the write up Codemonkey. I think a lot of us are looking for a solution better than Mobius and less expensive than GoPro Hero 4 Black.

nilsen

So my camera arrived and it was horribly out of focus as can be seen in this quick video I made:

It's quite easy to fix though, you simply pop off the front cover and then rotate the lens while recording to attain proper focus.

So far, so good.

ZoomNBoom

I also have one in the mail.

Thanks for the write up Codemonkey. I think a lot of us are looking for a solution better than Mobius and less expensive than GoPro Hero 4 Black.

I am. But I dont like the formfactor, its just too big for most of my planes.
I really hope someone comes out with a competitor thats closer to the mobius form factor. Ditch the LCD, ditch the battery, keep it small, power it through a ubec from the flight battery, provide live feed for FPV (even if its slightly laggy). Or at least make the camera module separate, like you can with the mobius with extension wire.

btw, off topic, but I recently got a smartphone from the same brand, a xiaomi mi3 which I bought for peanuts, and Ive been incredibly impressed by it. Wouldnt trade it for a Galaxy S5. A company to keep an eye on I think.

C0d3M0nk3y

If anyone is interested in the Xiaomi Yi discussed in this thread that I only used a few times, it's listed here.