Icarus Aerospace TAV (w/plans)

leaded50

Legendary member
Out of all the master pieces that I have seen U post, this is the one I like the most. I won't have the time in the near future, but I am going to save the patterns U posted as I would like to to build this one myself.
Thanks @cyclone3350 ! Just remember, check out my posts here on the build, to get more inside info. (and dont be afraid asking, if something is unclear :) )

the "versatility" by using the Branta wing extensions, or not, will give it two different behavior in the air. That was reason to make the build.
its big, and feel big :ROFLMAO:, and cant wait for a chance to make a maiden!! I think im gonna love seen this in the air!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Printing the plans as I post this, which usually means that the build will start over the long weekend. Thanks @leaded50 for the great resource, this plane is just amazing!

leaded50

Legendary member
Printing the plans as I post this, which usually means that the build will start over the long weekend. Thanks @leaded50 for the great resource, this plane is just amazing!
Thanks @Ratcheeroo . It does "forfill" my ideas & a versitality function with having a plane with two different ways of behavior, related to what wings used. That it got a great look isnt negative either ;). The ones seen it "live" is quite stunning over the build, and as many dont believed is foamboard at first.

"cockpit" picture.

the small "fin" behind the canopy, is the lockpin for canopy. Forward locked, rearward open. In front of the cockpit, its a tongue under the skin. Skins at both places are treated with 2K epoxy for better strength inside.
DSC_1062c.png

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
its a chance im gonna develope this a "bit" more later. Eg make the Branta wing extensions get ailerons too, and then change channel at reciver to get the "shorty version" Wasp ailerons be flaps. Internal space under the cockpit is big without problem to get eg to the reciver.
And perhaps do a more internal plan of cockpit for others to use.

I made som short "wingtips" to use when in Wasp-version (approx 10mm wide) but because the profile, it got quite a wrong angle i feel of incidence at ends. Not sure it is wrong in air, but... :). Gonna paint them, and check. At least then gets a touch wider wingspan as Wasp, if needed, and a nicer wingtip. The wingspan was set by the size of the foamboard used.

Last edited:

tomlogan1

Elite member
OV10..... a plane "many" have made even as commercial..:p
BUT, idea :unsure:
Icarus Aerospace TAV , a close air support tactical twin-boom aircraft concept from Canada. Its more like a modern OV10.. and their WASP version is like the Bronco... but the Branta is same airplane, just with longer wings!
Then make the Wasp, posibillity to tyake off tips of the wings, and put on the Branta "extensions" for "glideflyer"/more trainer alike :).

I have some resources stored on that from before..

View attachment 205541

and the Branta:

View attachment 205542
Makes my OV-10 Bronco look prehistoric!

leaded50

Legendary member
perfect fit on the CG with the 4500mAh battery full at front of its compartment. Thats one of the difficult things to find, when making a fully scratchbuild. Will your placement of battery fit the CG? Here it did, puhhhh :D Normally i always make the compartment longer, to ensure it get space. Here its longer further backt hough... and would be possible easy to make longer forward too.
Good space, and could even be done with space for a couple batterys besides each other. (perhaps a adjustment of the cockpit bottom then though.. )

DSC_1065.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
How strong would you consider the booms to be? How stiff?
i carry the plane easy just in one boom, and can raise the front of plane, holding one boom at rear end only to horizontal (even shake it when holding like that).. without any flexing . So they are pretty strong, and is a "box" with extra plate.. 2 vertical sides split in two angled parts, and 3 horizontal (top, bottom and center) surfaces

Last edited:

Chrruss1

I'm building one of these right now. Wish i had found this sooner. You have some good solutions for some of the problems I had 😁