WWI SE5A 1:6 SCALE FOR DAWN PATROL FF 2022

noahangel11

I decided to join in on the dawn patrol Challenge for FF 2022. I chose to do a SE5A at 1:6 scale.

I started with the AeroFred 60" plans like someone else did. I scaled the plans to 1:6 scale and have just begun to design in Fusion 360.

Attachments

• 80E4EE81-CD13-4ACE-81E2-1CF20581CD69.jpeg
    80E4EE81-CD13-4ACE-81E2-1CF20581CD69.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

noahangel11

64384A7A-6158-4EEE-8065-04A0D8CFAE54.jpeg
Almost done with the fuselage. Need to design the tail end where the stabilizers go.
I will likely need to change the wing saddle later once I design the wing shape, but this gets me a starting point. The main tray in the fuse will be ply, and the anchor points for the inner wing struts are ply. Also the mounting points for the landing gear and the firewall will be ply. the rest is foam board.
I’m thinking of 3D parts for the gun and engine/exhaust. I’m sure I can find something on Thingiverse that will work.

The Fopster

Master member
View attachment 220350 Almost done with the fuselage. Need to design the tail end where the stabilizers go.
I will likely need to change the wing saddle later once I design the wing shape, but this gets me a starting point. The main tray in the fuse will be ply, and the anchor points for the inner wing struts are ply. Also the mounting points for the landing gear and the firewall will be ply. the rest is foam board.
I’m thinking of 3D parts for the gun and engine/exhaust. I’m sure I can find something on Thingiverse that will work.
Good choice of subject from a viable CG point of view, and some pretty sophisticated design work by the look of it. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops. Good luck!

The Fopster

Master member
Oops I forgot to go the tail skid Lolz
I think I will make it out of ply.
I’ve come up with a light weight idea for a tail skid. A foam “triangle” (which could be inside the fuse on the topside of the base) with a bbq skewer coming out to form the skid. So far, so normal. I’ve found those skids don’t move smoothly over my dodgy grass runway, and there is no “suspension“, so on the leading side of the skewer I’ll hot glue a strip cut off a plastic cable tie that’s longer than the skewer. This can flex to give a bit of “suspension” and hopefully will not get stuck in the grass so easily. Lightest solution I could come up with (and I need light at the tail because the pup has such a short nose!). Amazing CAD, by the way!

noahangel11

I’ve come up with a light weight idea for a tail skid. A foam “triangle” (which could be inside the fuse on the topside of the base) with a bbq skewer coming out to form the skid. So far, so normal. I’ve found those skids don’t move smoothly over my dodgy grass runway, and there is no “suspension“, so on the leading side of the skewer I’ll hot glue a strip cut off a plastic cable tie that’s longer than the skewer. This can flex to give a bit of “suspension” and hopefully will not get stuck in the grass so easily. Lightest solution I could come up with (and I need light at the tail because the pup has such a short nose!). Amazing CAD, by the way!

thank you. I was going to do the same thing that the AeroFred plans had, which was ply, and the tail end of the skid is hinged so that it pivots when the plane turns. That is what the real plane has. I’m anticipating the plane will be nose heavy, so some extra ply in the back will probably help.
4198D456-7764-4ABB-9860-A4C878E5CD78.jpeg

Tench745

Master member
thank you. I was going to do the same thing that the AeroFred plans had, which was ply, and the tail end of the skid is hinged so that it pivots when the plane turns. That is what the real plane has. I’m anticipating the plane will be nose heavy, so some extra ply in the back will probably help.
The plane in the first picture has a different wing structure than the other two. Registration for OK-HUP02 say it's a scaled down replica in the Czech Republic.

F-AZCY is registered as a replica, and looking at pictures, it clearly has a modern engine, so I would hazard a guess that the tail skid is not accurate to the original either.

F-5447 is actually registered under G-BKER and is a 7/8 scale replica powered by an O-200 continental engine. Again, probably not an accurate tail skid.

Here's a shot from The Vintage Aviator of their reproduction SE5a, built from original drawings. If you're interest in diving deeper to the little fiddly-bits there's a nice walkaround photo gallery too: https://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/se5a-walkaround?page=0,0
1646182186286.png

Here's a decent shot of the Shuttleworth Collection's SE5a as well.
1646182806346.png

noahangel11

Thanks for the pics! Something odd too is that on the Aerofred 60” plans, there is a split at the end of the wingtip, where the aileron is, as you can see from my cad drawings. But I find no pictures online of that wingtip type, any ideas what’s correct?

Tench745

Master member
Looks like the ailerons on that plan are hinged from the top like an FT plane would be, but because the wing tapers down to the wingtip on the balsa version, the hinge line has to be cut back to allow aileron movement.
Depending on how you do your ailerons, you don't need the cutouts.

noahangel11

Looks like the ailerons on that plan are hinged from the top like an FT plane would be, but because the wing tapers down to the wingtip on the balsa version, the hinge line has to be cut back to allow aileron movement.
Depending on how you do your ailerons, you don't need the cutouts.

Agreed. I just removed them.