Hooking up FPV gear

johnreto

Hey guys, need some help pls. Hooking up my fpv gear, runcam split mini and immersionrc tramp HV. Do i need/have to solder the short cable to the cam's board? Or is there another possibility? Thnx for the help

Attachments

• DSC_3079.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_3080.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 0

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You will definitely need to do some soldering, though I would only hook up the signal (yellow) and ground (black) to the VTx. The camera uses ~650mA @ 5V, which is probably more than the tiny regulator on the tramp can supply.

johnreto

You will definitely need to do some soldering, though I would only hook up the signal (yellow) and ground (black) to the VTx. The camera uses ~650mA @ 5V, which is probably more than the tiny regulator on the tramp can supply.

You think i would it would melt the vtx if i hook it up with the lipo? Manual says it should work though ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180424-090416.png
    Screenshot_20180424-090416.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 0

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You think i would it would melt the vtx if i hook it up with the lipo? Manual says it should work though ?

It doesn't specify how much current you can draw from the 5V regulator, but they are generally designed to power a regular board cam which might draw up to 200mA. I personally wouldn't risk it.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You can power the VTx and camera from your flight battery no problem, just don't try and power the camera through the VTx. On the VTx, the red & black twisted pair is to supply power to the VTx. Connect these to your battery (or PDB, you didn't specify what kind of airframe you're using this on :)) The orange/black/yellow cable supplies +5V from the VTx (red wire) and takes the signal from the camera (yellow). I would recommend removing the red wire from the camera connector, and running another + and - from the battery (or PDB) to the camera.

As an aside, how do you like your Convergence? I got one for Christmas, probably going to maiden it this weekend.

johnreto

You can power the VTx and camera from your flight battery no problem, just don't try and power the camera through the VTx. On the VTx, the red & black twisted pair is to supply power to the VTx. Connect these to your battery (or PDB, you didn't specify what kind of airframe you're using this on :)) The orange/black/yellow cable supplies +5V from the VTx (red wire) and takes the signal from the camera (yellow). I would recommend removing the red wire from the camera connector, and running another + and - from the battery (or PDB) to the camera.

As an aside, how do you like your Convergence? I got one for Christmas, probably going to maiden it this weekend.

ok, if i understand correctly:
can I power the vtx and cam off the planes Tx? Reckon I can use the same plug for both? Solder both cables (vtx and cam) to one plug into the planes tx? Or do i need to use 2 seperate cables/plugs into the planes Tx?

I plan to use the fpv on the convergence (gonna get another tx n cam for another plane).
Got the convergence last october, but since it got cold fast i was'nt able to really fly it.
Tried out the vtol mode in a large garage though, that was pretty cool, the stabilizing system is awesome.
Hoping to fly n test everything in the next week. Will def post how it went with pics n video :cool:

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Running electronics thru a receiver is bad idea. They are only meant for low voltage low current pass thru. Not to mention any high current draw can brown out or even shut off the receiver making the craft uncontrollable.

The Tramp HV can be powered directly off battery packs from 2s to 6s. The instruction manuals can be downloaded in PDF form. That will show all stats as well as wiring diagrams and can be found here at the bottom of the page.

https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/tramp-hv-5-8ghz-video-transmitter/

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The tramp will work with 2-6s lipos's, so probably not off the 5V your BEC will provide. I would connect both the VTx and camera direct to the battery. Here's a
crude drawing.

vtxdiagram.jpg

I haven't put FPV goodies in mine yet, I may just keep it LOS only for this year... We'll see how the budget does ;)

johnreto

Running electronics thru a receiver is bad idea. They are only meant for low voltage low current pass thru. Not to mention any high current draw can brown out or even shut off the receiver making the craft uncontrollable.

ok, so no powering via planes rx, so a PDB is a must? Or can i hook everything up straight to the lipo?
Thnx

Last edited:

johnreto

The tramp will work with 2-6s lipos's, so probably not off the 5V your BEC will provide. I would connect both the VTx and camera direct to the battery. Here's a
crude drawing.

View attachment 106388

I haven't put FPV goodies in mine yet, I may just keep it LOS only for this year... We'll see how the budget does ;)

Hmm, ok, makes sense, understand the diagram. Whats the easiest way to connect all to lipo? Can i solder all the wires needed together ? Or is the PDB a must?

Will be flyin the convergence LOS to begin with, but i plan to put the fpv in it at some point in time. Think at the beginning though i'l put the fpv on my funtastic since its my main plane at the moment.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You can power an FPV system in a plane. I linked you to the PDF manual that shows what gets connected where and explains how it operates. Sean's drawing would be a way to do it too. Can't get much more simple then that. If you plan to swap this system from plane to plane I would suggest you solder an XT 30 connector to the leads from the battery where they connect to the esc. That way you can pull direct from the battery and have a connection that is accessible close to the FPV set up directly off the battery pack.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yep - that Lumenier one will work just fine. For other options...

ReadyToFlyQuads has a nice small and cheap one w/ 12v and 5v rails - just connect your equipment to the 12v output

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/rtf-v4-0-power-hub-bec-5v-12v

Grayson has one with a 5v and 12v regulator built in for pretty reasonable price

http://graysonhobby.com/dx8-gen-2-d...receiver-3791.html?utm_source=google_shopping

Since you can connect everything to straight battery voltage you could also go with something simple like this from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1PFER4/?tag=lstir-20

johnreto

crude drawing.

View attachment 106388

So, i finaly learned how to solder. I believe this is like the diagram posted, am i good to hook up?
Thnx a mill

Attachments

• sketch-1525530274597.png
    sketch-1525530274597.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0