Beginner fpv gear

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Out of curiosity, have you tried the TBS cloverleaf antennas? Curious as to how those Axii antennae stack up. I've been running the TBS for over a year and a half, maybe 2 years now, and I like the reception; I think the Axii came out after I bought into the TBS ones so I haven't looked at them.

Yes they were one of the first ones I tried. Too heavy to bulky and got caught on gates too easy. Broke several of them and decided the cost was not worth the name. Switched to the aomway 2 for 20 dollar antennas and they worked about the same as the TBS ones but again kept getting caught on gates. Tried the axii dum dums (stubby but with the longer shielded leads) and saw a big performance gain in certain frequencies and swapped all my quads to them. Once the stubbies came I never hooked or broke another antenna and haven't looked back since.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yes they were one of the first ones I tried. Too heavy to bulky and got caught on gates too easy. Broke several of them and decided the cost was not worth the name. Switched to the aomway 2 for 20 dollar antennas and they worked about the same as the TBS ones but again kept getting caught on gates. Tried the axii dum dums (stubby but with the longer shielded leads) and saw a big performance gain in certain frequencies and swapped all my quads to them. Once the stubbies came I never hooked or broke another antenna and haven't looked back since.

Excellent. :) That's kinda what I figured, just figured i'd ask someone who'd likely tried both. :) Now I just need to take a look at my new quad; I think it's got MMCX connectors and not SMA, in which case I'll need a pigtail...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Excellent. :) That's kinda what I figured, just figured i'd ask someone who'd likely tried both. :) Now I just need to take a look at my new quad; I think it's got MMCX connectors and not SMA, in which case I'll need a pigtail...

Most vtx these days come with a pig tail to go to traditional SMA mounts so check the sales page and see if it is included.

Hutch Bunch Rc

Most vtx these days come with a pig tail to go to traditional SMA mounts so check the sales page and see if it is included.
067FDB59-8F66-4DD5-BF41-06877A41B791.jpeg
B9716FB0-5A6E-43E7-9171-EAD9A2CD20B9.jpeg
Got there on sale for 70% off! They were only $30 on hobbyking

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ohhh that hurts my neck just looking at it. (have had neck bones fused so cant even think about something that weight forward hanging off my face)

At least those look like they are better material then other box's I have seen. Those all look like cheap toy grade plastics. Even those buttons seem to be big improvements just from a visual perspective.

Hutch Bunch Rc

Ohhh that hurts my neck just looking at it. (have had neck bones fused so cant even think about something that weight forward hanging off my face)

At least those look like they are better material then other box's I have seen. Those all look like cheap toy grade plastics. Even those buttons seem to be big improvements just from a visual perspective.
It’s honestly as light as a feather, plus with a 2200 3s in the back pouch it isn’t bad at all. As for quality it doesn’t feel super cheap. Buttons feel pretty good and it’s pretty comfortable on the face. Now I need to figure out what vtx to order. I’m wanting to use a runcam Phoenix 2 for a camera.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It’s honestly as light as a feather, plus with a 2200 3s in the back pouch it isn’t bad at all. As for quality it doesn’t feel super cheap. Buttons feel pretty good and it’s pretty comfortable on the face. Now I need to figure out what vtx to order. I’m wanting to use a runcam Phoenix 2 for a camera.

I am loving the phoenix 2 I have that on two builds now and will be adding more to my existing builds as I kill off the other cams on them from crashing.

We did an episode on a quick primer about FPV.
https://anchor.fm/dashboard/episode/eo7srb

To me the quanums cyclops goggles at $30 are a steel the VR008 are a runner up by all tell($100). The new skyzone box goggles seem the next step up($200), then you are in the binocular goggle range($350+). (Fatsharks, Skyzones, etc.)

I choose the AIO TX06 and TX03 camera VTX for simplicity. I make sure they can increase power output from 25mw through to 200mw. In the event I need to punch through interference. Or gain range

I hope these helped.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
View attachment 191925 View attachment 191926 Got there on sale for 70% off! They were only $30 on hobbyking

I have the previous generation of those goggles (pre-diversity antennas). They were great as a starter pair, and I still have them as a backup for people who want to see what FPV is like. I can hand it to them, and it's also got the ability to scan through ALL of the channels to find a broadcasting signal, so it's easy for someone who wants to go on a ridealong to use.

And at $30, they're cheap (and not too heavy compared to others I've tried). Their quality compared to that of a pair of Fatshark goggles is not there, but $30 vs something more than 10 times the price? It's good enough for beginning, and it's good enough for a backup. :)

Hutch Bunch Rc

Also got in my vtx and camera!
9D884829-6A65-460C-B32E-95D91236E2FE.jpeg
23E1F63F-1292-4668-B64D-63C29D1EF992.jpeg
And now it’s time to solder the wires from the vtx to the camera together.
D880B057-6AEB-44A9-A124-C92B63863CDB.jpeg
I took the green wire (smart audio wire) out of the vtx because I’m not going to need it. I also just balled up and taped together the blue, white and black wires on the cameras wires my bundle because those are to program the camera which I probably won’t need to ever do. Next I had to figure out what needed to be soldered together.
E828BE76-507B-4537-AEB4-B8FAC6214B71.jpeg
AD0C5814-9D47-4E02-B070-9693DBD56E8A.jpeg
Basically yellow to yellow black to black and red to red 😂.
5699A84E-1DF4-4DD0-811F-FD307FE2A4D9.jpeg
That’s all of the soldering that needed to be done. Now it was the moment of truth. I plugged everything in and no smoke and nothing got hot so I must have done something right. I then plugged the goggles in and scanned for the right channel and it worked!

Hutch Bunch Rc

Next adventure was to mount everything to the plywood mount from the tundra.
B259FFD7-24B1-45FB-A4D9-3416221609CF.jpeg
FFE99A58-7221-4590-AB08-FEB8656B01AE.jpeg
429AFFFF-7A25-49C2-9467-9037F6DB6C73.jpeg
I needed to make side plates for the camera mount to screw onto.
FACC9AA8-08C9-46D3-B9B0-B83C79333340.jpeg
8C866DB7-AB77-4E1F-8DC4-859B76640C11.jpeg
63078408-A3A1-4246-B1F4-7B72990D9D95.jpeg
Done. Weighs 5oz with the 1000mah 3s included. Now to go out and test it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Also got in my vtx and camera! View attachment 194469 View attachment 194470 And now it’s time to solder the wires from the vtx to the camera together. View attachment 194471 I took the green wire (smart audio wire) out of the vtx because I’m not going to need it. I also just balled up and taped together the blue, white and black wires on the cameras wires my bundle because those are to program the camera which I probably won’t need to ever do. Next I had to figure out what needed to be soldered together. View attachment 194472 View attachment 194473 Basically yellow to yellow black to black and red to red 😂. View attachment 194474 That’s all of the soldering that needed to be done. Now it was the moment of truth. I plugged everything in and no smoke and nothing got hot so I must have done something right. I then plugged the goggles in and scanned for the right channel and it worked!

Actually there are some settings I suggest you change to give a better flight experience. mainly the day /night section which is what tells the camera to transition its aperture which can be problematic in shadows or on cloudy days. I set both of those to 112 with 5 second delay. that way there is no change when it "thinks" it needs one. Then drop the saturation levels way down and adjust contrast and brightness where you can look at the sun without washing out or blinding yourself then walk into an entry way into a house with no drastic changes while your goggles / monitor settings are neutral. This gives best adjustability when out in the field no matter what the day is like using only goggle adjustments.

Hutch Bunch Rc

Actually there are some settings I suggest you change to give a better flight experience. mainly the day /night section which is what tells the camera to transition its aperture which can be problematic in shadows or on cloudy days. I set both of those to 112 with 5 second delay. that way there is no change when it "thinks" it needs one. Then drop the saturation levels way down and adjust contrast and brightness where you can look at the sun without washing out or blinding yourself then walk into an entry way into a house with no drastic changes while your goggles / monitor settings are neutral. This gives best adjustability when out in the field no matter what the day is like using only goggle adjustments.
What tool do I need to adjust this stuff?

Liam B

What tool do I need to adjust this stuff?

The camera should come with a board or joystick that plugs in to the little black and white cabled lead off of the camera (attached photo of joystick/board). Plug it and the FPV system in, power up your monitor or goggles, and you should be able to change settings using the buttons and the FPV feed. An overlay will come on screen, like this:

jkfnsknf.jpg

Attachments

• joystick.jpg
    joystick.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0

Hutch Bunch Rc

The camera should come with a board or joystick that plugs in to the little black and white cabled lead off of the camera (attached photo of joystick/board). Plug it and the FPV system in, power up your monitor or goggles, and you should be able to change settings using the buttons and the FPV feed. An overlay will come on screen, like this:

View attachment 194573
How much would the joystick thing cost?