1/12 Gotha G IV Design, Prototype, Publish

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
There's no official date yet, but it was brought up quite often. And I think there's already some loose planning going on.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
With the little remaining time I have before FTFF I decided to add a few more details. I drew up a rough outline of the cockpit from the 3-views overlapping the plans and sent it off to the graphics department (Steven Rosema, or Rasterize). He came up with just a basic cockpit image that suits the scheme well.

Front
IMG_2833.JPG

Back
IMG_2834.JPG

Not to be complete just yet... He also drew up some basic paper Parabellum MG-14 guns. The barrel and main gun parts have a wooden core. A little bit of aluminum wire to support the bullets and we have a couple of scale-ish guns.
IMG_2835.JPG

I also put a couple of flags on the outboard struts of the wings. White cotton fabric and a sharpie did the trick there but I forgot to snap a picture of them.

From the fluctuating humidity there has been some minor warping and shifting of the wings. I expected this as the paper backed foam does not lend itself to maintaining its shape for long in my region. Pretty sure this airframe will be retired through a mishap during the gaggle or the elements of exposure in the near future. I'll do one test flight prior to the main gaggle to make sure trims and such are in a good state

This has been a very fun project from start to finish, and what a finish! Sponz and I have already been discussing potential projects for the future that will be community-focused in the spirit of what has developed here. Keep a sharp eye on the forums for updates after FTFF. I'm sure they will be discussed there and we can come up with something fun, like the gaggle, for next year.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I had fully-intended to upload the PDF graphics for those who eventually would like to build this one. The upload limit for the forum is low so PM me if you would like them. This would include the guns, markings, and cockpit. Next pictures you see will be from FTFF!

RA TA TA TAT!!!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So much awesome! Thanks for taking, editing and sharing this video Wilmracer!

Ron DuBray

Thanks for all this hard work, I asked the FT boys last year to build this very plane. I down loaded your planes and will put them to use very soon. I just have 2 other big planes to get off my work table and its Gotha Bomber time :)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I was listening to some video game fans at work discuss over lunch, their time with a new Battlefield game with a WWI theme. Apparently, the Gotha Bomber is one of the great features in the game with multiple gun positions and scale-ish flight characteristics (low power to weight ratio?).

I might just have to check this out if it works on OSX!

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Gotha_G.IV

ennobee

Funny. I got referred to this thread by Google as I was searching for blueprints of the G.IV. I was wanting to see if a Gotha G.IV would make a suitable model for my homebuilt project EZ 2-channel flyer. Anyone tried anything similar yet?