3D Printed / Foamboard Auto-gyros

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I'm hoping that one day they'll offer a hardware package, everything but the printed parts. Should cut the wait times down, and I bet they'd sell a ton of them.

That would be nice. I wonder if they're also limited by how fast they can get the hardware from the manufacturers.

Was moving the steerable tail-wheel I designed from the crashed frame to the new one and realized I hadn't shown any pictures of it yet.

Drew it up so that there are two configurations possible. One with the servo horn portion visible on the exterior like shown, and another with a longer shaft so that you can place the servo horn inside the tail of the plane for a cleaner look.

steerabletailwheel.jpg

steerabletailwheelfinal.jpg

Works very well so far, it survived a bunch of crashes lol. Maybe I'll draw up some wheels and tires for it as well so that they wouldn't have to be purchased separately. The wheel that's on it is the ubiquitous 25x10mm foam wheels that seem to be everywhere. Actually, I think they're on the FT Store as well.

https://store.flitetest.com/mini-wheel-1-1-single-pack/

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Was that lead vs lag with the blades and one side getting more lift or the wind? That was a pretty consistent tip over each time in varying wind speeds from the sound. I can't tell wind direction from my seat here either which is why I am asking.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Was that lead vs lag with the blades and one side getting more lift or the wind? That was a pretty consistent tip over each time in varying wind speeds from the sound. I can't tell wind direction from my seat here either which is why I am asking.

I noticed a pretty consistent roll to the left too.

Cheers!
LB

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor

It was a bit of both I think. Wind was gusting around and changing direction, and the gusts were mostly pushing toward the left.

I also think my elevator may have been ever so slightly lifted from the multiple crashes, because I think they Gyro was trying to take off before everything was properly up to speed. On that last "flight" I was feeding in down elevator to try and ensure maximum rotor speed.

I hope to finish the integrated start assist / mast thing this evening and print tonight. So far I've only had a chance to tweak the head unit, which has two bearings now.

DoubleBearingHead.png

DoubleBearingHead2.png

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Well, the gearbox and clutch system seem to be working with the full size blades. I'm getting about 1000 RPM at 1/3 throttle, which is kinda scary lol. Should make taking off much easier.