42" Mitsubishi A6M Zero Swappable - Build Thread

jpot1

Elite member
Really nice looking. You will enjoy flying this! I know I do. I've got localfiends bf109 printed and up next on the workbench.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Localfiend, what about this plane made you decide to add to the undercambered portion of the wing? I'm building one and am aiming for more speed so I'm thinking about reducing the cambered portion and further reinforcing the wing.

(edit)
Nevermind, I built a NerdNic inspired speedwing for it :cool:

I have some feedback on the plans and how they go together if you're interested, figured you might be since it's a Beta.

Last edited:

ericemn

Close now...

I got my main float installed last night, and decided to use outriggers from a different model. Hope to test it out this week... IMG_20170726_small.jpg

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
I'm really tempted to make floats for it, the original plan was to do so. Might have to make a regular wing for if I do that though.

PcvtYry.jpg

To sum up the mods; I moved the power pod back and designed a speed wing based on how nerdnic does his. Moving the power pod back makes it look a little better than it does with the motor sticking out, but it needed a small roll of pennies in the nose and the battery pushed as far forward as it can go for proper CG with this configuration. The plane flies nicely with the speed wing, but it's a bit tricky, it doesn't like going slow. This makes for a dicey hand launch on a windless day since I can't get a great hold on it with how wide the fuselage is behind the wing. It needs a good pitch to not be at the verge of stalling on launch but without a good grip that's hard to do.

The speed wing likes speed, but the fueselage is very draggy so it flies best at full throttle. I need to make a different cowling to help with the drag for sure. For reference I'm running a GT2215 1100kv (power pack C motor) and 10x5 prop. Bottom line is that it needs more power than power pack C provides if you do the mods I did and use my wing, and it should probably have flaps to help with the slow flight. I am probably going to fly it with my GT3520 1100kv and 4S battery, but it might just be too heavy since the battery is a beefy one; 5200mah. Still, it will have around twice the thrust with the same prop and that might be enough to make up for the weight. Maybe when I finish my other projects I'll make a wing from the plans and see if I like it better as a slow flyer.

Last edited:
I just finished 90% of your zero, absolutely awesome looking plane. I first found out about foamboard and learned to fly about 6 months ago. And have looked everywhere for a zero. Can't wait for the rain to stop so I can fly this thing.

Attachments

• 0208190615.jpg
    0208190615.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0210191652.jpg
    0210191652.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0203191155.jpg
    0203191155.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 0210192035.jpg
    0210192035.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I just finished 90% of your zero, absolutely awesome looking plane. I first found out about foamboard and learned to fly about 6 months ago. And have looked everywhere for a zero. Can't wait for the rain to stop so I can fly this thing.

Welcome to the forums!

Nice looking build - like the paint job too! :D

Welcome to the forums!

Nice looking build - like the paint job too! :D
Thank you very much! I've had some issues with flying it, getting the c.f. right and what not, so it doesn't look the best anymore, but I've finally got the right motor,prop, throws, and c.g. dialed in. Now that I've figured out how I like it I'm going to build another one and give her a better paint job. Ill take a little more than an hour this time lol. I really hope Flite Test makes a design of the Zero along with the new corsair using the Master series build techniques.

Khuro

So, yeah.... Guy at my local RC club wanted a Zero like my Mighty Mini only bigger.

Scaled this up to the same size as the spitfire. Swappable with the normal FT power pods. I'm assuming it should fly great on a C power pack with something like a 2200mah battery.

Kept the same hatch arrangement as the Mighty Mini so that you have the option to easily access batteries inside the power pod.

Flight videos:

Latest Plans:

42" Mitsubishi A6M Zero Swappable Beta Plans v.2 - Full

42" Mitsubishi A6M Zero Swappable Beta Plans v.2 - Tiled
could you please give some instructions to build it?
Im a rookie builder so it would be appreciated.

Marty72

Elite member
could you please give some instructions to build it?
Im a rookie builder so it would be appreciated.

The only instruction appears to be the build thread for the mini Zero, the original design. No video. If I'm wrong, someone please say so.

Here's the thread for the build of the mini. This is just a scaled up version of that. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-a6m-zero-swappable-build-thread.23703/page-2

If you have never built an FT type fb plane, I suggest you watch at least one of the ft videos, FT Spitfire or FT P 40 on youtube.

This Zero looks like an interesting plane and is the size I like, I'm considering building it to go with the rest of my FT WW II planes.

leaded50

Legendary member
Close now...

I got my main float installed last night, and decided to use outriggers from a different model. Hope to test it out this week... View attachment 91677
Nice, floats can be fun on such a warbird. On my Yokosuka warbird, i made them easy removable, but there its two "normal ones" (in fact some reworked Beaver floats i got cheap on a RC shop sale. )

Marty72

Elite member
It's built, probably won't maiden until early next week. Maybe tomorrow, outside chance.

Specs: 564 grams (w/ 20 g of ballast) w/o battery, 700 grams AUW. Rimfire .15 3536 1200 w/ 11.55 prop. CG at 1.75

IMG_2664 (2).JPG
IMG_2672 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
I was able to get out to the Club Flying field this morning to do a maiden. It went without issue, the balance seems very good around 1.7 inches. I ran three 2200 mah batteries through it. I've over powered the plane a bit, it climbs at full throttle (but is stable everywhere else) . It's an easy plane to fly, stable, it lands really well, flies really slow under power (allowing for slow easy landings). It's easier to fly than the Ft Spitfire, Mustang or even the P 40. It flies the most like the P 40 but lands better.

It isn't fast like the Spitfire or the Mustang (it's not slow either). It not a matter of more propulsion, I have given it more than it needs. The plane has a large projected frontal area and has significant under camber in the wing design. The plane has a really nice range of comfortable flight. I guess what I'm trying to say it flies at normal Ft speeds but flies exceptionally well slow.

This would be a great first FT type warbird trainer, IMO. I'm going to use it to work my Flying Club site landings, as they need improvement.

Lester

So, yeah.... Guy at my local RC club wanted a Zero like my Mighty Mini only bigger.

Scaled this up to the same size as the spitfire. Swappable with the normal FT power pods. I'm assuming it should fly great on a C power pack with something like a 2200mah battery.

Kept the same hatch arrangement as the Mighty Mini so that you have the option to easily access batteries inside the power pod.

Flight videos:

Latest Plans:

Thank u so much😁

Flight videos:

Latest Plans:

Thank u so much🤙to cool😎

danskis

Master member
@Marty72 - after reading all your reviews and my experience with the F6F it seems like the best performers are those without a "radial" engine (in the real plane). Just too much drag. If I build another warbird it will be a P-51 of some type. I do like the look of the Zero though.

edit: nice build as usual

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 - after reading all your reviews and my experience with the F6F it seems like the best performers are those without a "radial" engine (in the real plane). Just too much drag. If I build another warbird it will be a P-51 of some type. I do like the look of the Zero though.

edit: nice build as usual
You are correct! It's a pretty slow plane, not sure I'm going to do much with it (after flying a few more times and making some prop changes).
It's has excellent handling characters, it's just slow compared to my other warbirds. It's a drag issue definitely, the big round cowling on front, along with a lot of under camber make this a slow flier. Now if you want a slow flying warbird, this is an excellent choice.