500 size 3D printed SA 341 Gazelle

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Despite having around 10 projects running in parallel, I recently started another one, a 500 size 3D printed Gazelle from Mastercraft. The Gazelle has always been a difficult one to figure out due to the small fenestron, but I wanted to try out a few things. First, it was a chance to try a 3D printed airframe. Second, I wanted to try a direct motor driven fixed pitch tail. Recent props from cinewhoops have had increasing numbers of blades and even had 8 blade props available. As soon as I saw those, I wanted to use one to mimic the look of a fenestron without the complexity of a traditional one.

I threw together a quick test bed to try out the concept. Started with a beater Trex 500 and removed the tail gears and belt, then 3D printed a fenestron housing and motor mount from PLA. While I didn’t have a spare 3 blade head, I did have an extra Align 4 blade. I figured more torque would be more conservative, so I fitted it to test bed as well. Setup of the motor driven tail was easy. I just used the Brain2’s option for motor tails, and put the tail ESC in airplane mode.

After a few tuning flights I was very impressed. The tail had excellent performance. No authority issues, and minimal (if any) impact on flight time. I also ballast the aircraft up to max gross weight where it could barely hover, loaded down with a 6S 4000mah pack (flight battery) and a 6S 5800mah pack (ballast). I then did collective pulses. The tail didn’t even waver. Next steps are to obtain a 3 blade head, and keep printing, sanding, and painting the fuselage. Planning on finishing the model in an RAF Red/White Training paint scheme.

Here’s the components I used for the tail:
Motor: https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...6JcPojZygJivjs_6sqlYv238zixmAnhs1PvZZSDaTLjSU
Prop: https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...st8givA16MMtKVih8IRY4QtMSft-vqz8VlxwSZbzDx0PA
ESC: HobbyWing V4 60A Platinum (massive overkill)

Link to the parts that I designed for the test bed: https://grabcad.com/library/trex-50...kivsaawo2krhVr3kJRBzcMRIbBQZOBm9EmrYMIIrR-pWY

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
A few more updates on the Gazelle. Have been busy with a lot of priming, filling, and sanding to get a smooth finish over the last few weeks. Also ended up doing a lot of modding to the original aircraft. The H-stabs were too far forward as printed, so I relocated them to the scale position. I also cut off the oversized tail rotor drive shaft and used an aluminum tube to make a smaller, more scale version with resin printed bearings. In addition, I fabricated some skids from brass tubing that were substantially more scale than the included 3D printable versions. Finally making progress. Next will be doing the rivet detail.
ABFF61B6-C9CE-46D9-9B31-1F83F2C24D14.jpeg
A101AF69-402E-46BD-B9E9-E43085EA1BEA.jpeg
A84CBF89-57DE-431E-8705-C2D0C1587E45.jpeg

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
More progress on the 500 size 3D printed Gazelle. First coat of each color is on, and the windshield sections have been formed. Need to print a new nose section, but it’s slowly getting there! The extended main shaft is being turned, and I’ve got the 3 blade head on the way.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Continuing to make slow progress on the Gazelle. All of the windshield plastics are finally glued in place, and the motor driven fenestron is installed. Starting to work on the interior and experimenting with some ways to get the battery farther forward and not interfere with the panel or pilots. Finished modeling the panel, and will be printing a test version soon.
BD1416E1-069E-43E2-8CEC-6F95A87E2279.jpeg

115E6B02-56EF-40BB-AD46-DDDA1356C5F8.jpeg

263ABA73-409D-4CA2-A16C-09153AAA1F5C.png

7D95DC21-0101-4692-8A72-E578931FC63C.jpeg

DAB38A03-1A0A-4D6E-BF4A-840D25EAE1FD.jpeg

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Making some more progress on the Gazelle. Got some excellent water slide decals from Tyler Gray Models for all the marking. Really happy with how it’s turning out so far. Still need to paint the aft lower antenna, and the fuel cap, but paint is nearly finished. The interior is progressing, working on the panel, seats, and pilots next. The 3 blade head should be arriving soon as well.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Making some more progress on the Gazelle. Got some excellent water slide decals from Tyler Gray Models for all the marking. Really happy with how it’s turning out so far. Still need to paint the aft lower antenna, and the fuel cap, but paint is nearly finished. The interior is progressing, working on the panel, seats, and pilots next. The 3 blade head should be arriving soon as well.

That is beautiful

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

That is coming along nicely. A lot of progress since I last peeked in this thread.

hope you are healthy n safe and able to get some flight time in here and there with the weather and lock downs and all.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
That is coming along nicely. A lot of progress since I last peeked in this thread.

hope you are healthy n safe and able to get some flight time in here and there with the weather and lock downs and all.
Thanks Psy and KN4! Flight time has been hard to come by lately with a lot of long days at work, but at least the weather here is cooperating and haven’t had any health issues. It’s definitely been busy between work, the house, and running a bunch of projects at once. Hope you’ve been doing good as well!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks Psy and KN4! Flight time has been hard to come by lately with a lot of long days at work, but at least the weather here is cooperating and haven’t had any health issues. It’s definitely been busy between work, the house, and running a bunch of projects at once. Hope you’ve been doing good as well!

Still kickin n scratchin. Just getting over the residuals of Rona. Neighbors had visitors around new years and they imported it. Learned the other day pretty much everyone in my building has now got / had/ or is currently dealing with it. Dumb#%@ antivaxxers.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Still kickin n scratchin. Just getting over the residuals of Rona. Neighbors had visitors around new years and they imported it. Learned the other day pretty much everyone in my building has now got / had/ or is currently dealing with it. Dumb#%@ antivaxxers.
Glad you’re through the worst of it, definitely nasty stuff. It’s been making its way around work despite all precautions unfortunately.