A10 Swappable

JasonEricAnderson

I know there are some fellow A10 fans here. Having been urged on by a friend I'm going to see if I can work out a swappable pusher A10. It is an extremely unique looking modern war bird. So here is a brief history of why the full scale aircraft looks and acts the way it does.

Quick history:
The Fairchild Republic Thunderbolt II (Commonly known as the Warthog due to it's elegant beauty): Primarily designed as a close air support platform to operate at very low altitudes (under 1,000) and be highly maneuverable at low speeds. This design to be able to be low and slow would make an aircraft more vulnerable to ground fire than the higher speed, 'fast movers'. To protect against this it is designed to be exceptionally robust and able to take a beating. The pilot and key avionics sit inside a titanium armored 'bath tub' for protection. It is built with multiple redundant control systems. The twin engines are mounted high behind the wing to help avoid damage from FOD or small arms fire. They have a nine degree up angle to counteract the effect of them being above the aircraft's aerodynamic center. This arrangement forces the engine exhaust over the elevator and between it's twin vertical stabilizers to help minimize it's thermal signature to heat seeking missiles. There are numerous cases of Thunderbolts taking heavy damage, loss of hydraulics, severely damaged control surfaces and lost engines and still making it safely back to base.

Photos:
a-10-19990422-f-7910d-518.jpg

Fairchild-a10-thunderbolt2-warthog.jpg

Firing the GAU-8/A Avenger cannon in the nose that can fire at either 2,100 or 4,200 rounds per minute. In some tests there was so much muzzle gas that if the weapon was fired in a long burst it would actually stall the engines.
A-10_Thunderbolt_II_Gun_Run.JPEG

A10cutaway.jpg
Here is a 'bench test' of the Avenger firing.

Reference images I'm using:
a10_ref_front.jpg

a10_ref_side.jpg

a10_ref_top.jpg

First design session:

Second design session:

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I used to think this plane was ugly and didn't get why people liked it. But now knowing that it was built to take a beating, I can see why people love it so much. I think the P-47 is ugly, yet I love it because those planes took such beatings, where used more than any other American war bird during WWII, and routinely the P-47 would hobble home with giant holes in them, engine cylinders missing, and all kinds of damage. Point is, it's the toughness of the Warthog that has turned me around.

JasonEricAnderson

The A10 has spawned some awesome terms as well.
"Go Ugly Early": Referring to calling in A10s for early close air support of ground troops
"The Fart Of Death/Thor/God": The VERY distinctive sound heard when the Avenger unloads on a target. Many times called "the sweetest sound a US soldier could hear when they are pinned down".

It has also been in the news earlier this year as the Air Force is looking to cut ALL their A10s primarily because of it's 'single focus' nature and it would 'save money'. It would be replaced by the F16 and F35 both multirole strike fighters.

The A10 is old, it was designed in the 1970s around one BIG gun. However, the A10 is the best in the world at what it does, low, close, prolonged air support (read: protection) of ground troops. I know of a professional chef who says you shouldn't have single use kitchen tools, but when you need a knife.... you just need to have a good knife.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
The site seems to be currently down, but I wanted to suggest that you download this free plug in for Sketchup and then make your A-10 a model for RC Desk Pilot: http://www.3drad.com/Google-SketchUp-To-DirectX-XNA-Exporter-Plug-in.htm

Just be sure to set the point of origin in Sketchup at the CG of the plane when you export it as a .x file. And have the control surfaces' rotation point at the point of origin in Sketchup, also.

I should have watched more of your tutorials because I just watched your time lapse video and noticed that you use the materials to import a photo, which isn't how I brought the plans into the program. Now I can make my RC Desk Pilot planes better by making it possible for any one to customize the paint job.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Sweet plane and very nice job so far!!! I can't wait to see this one and how it flies.

Jason, you are the Man!!!

epicstrikard

Actual Pilot, RC Idiot
What program(s) do you use to design these planes?? I would like something to design planes with instead of hand drawing. It's pretty slow.

Talon2535

just another history note because this plane is just straite up awesome it has also been called "Hells Cross" by both friend and foe. as when the gun fires it tips up as the gun stalls the aircraft making it look like a flaming cross. everyone should get to see one fire it's main gun before it is retired.

JasonEricAnderson

I've made a few tweaks and I'm ready to start building my first prototype. Now that I have the P51 Mustang done. This will be my next project to see flying. I've also worked out a way to turn my large, full size plans, quickly and easily into tile print 8x11 versions. This will also be in the next video I add to the SketchUp series. :)