Baby Bugatti

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Not sure if you are talking about the 1430 kv or the 2480 kv mt1806, but either way, a 12 amp esc is plenty as long as you aren't going 4s or using a prop over 6 inches. Amp draw on the 1806, 1430, 3s, 6x4e APC is 4.0 amps. Puhlenty of amps to spare!

It's the 2280 Kv version. That's what I had concluded too, thanks for confirmation! I've not used many motors this size...or many motors at all for that matter (mostly a glider guy), so I'm still getting a feel for some of the power details. :p

earthsciteach

Glider guy, huh? I'm finding myself growing more attached to sailplanes than anything lately. What kind of stuff are you flying? (Thread officially hijacked)

Q3001

AHHHH!!! This is AWESOME!!!! Well done, and thank you, I'll be building one for sure.

I absolutely love the Bugatti 100p, and like many of us here, have been following Willsonman's build closely (super excited to see that beautiful work of art take to the sky!). I had been looking for a way to have my own Bugatti without the major skills of willsonman or heavy resources (I'm not getting into balsa building, nor do I want to buy an expensive pre-built aircraft) and this hits the nail on the head for me perfectly in every way. On top of all that, I have a spare 1806 & esc ready to go! Actually, purely due to watching willsonman's build and his post about it - I've recently got into glassing. It's going well so far, it'll be fun to play with when I build my own Baby Bug!

Thanks Mid7night (and willsonman)! Can't wait for some video of flight testing!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Glider guy, huh? I'm finding myself growing more attached to sailplanes than anything lately. What kind of stuff are you flying? (Thread officially hijacked)

Hijack approved. :cool:

I fly a little bit of everything, from soaring wings to lead-sled PSS and pack formation. This is my latest PSS build, the Zephyr (not my design, just my build). And this is one of my favorite videos I've ever made ... it's not often you get that particular perspective when flying! :D

I also did DLG for a while, but I had to sell it to finance the Zephyr. :p

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
AHHHH!!! This is AWESOME!!!! Well done, and thank you, I'll be building one for sure.

I absolutely love the Bugatti 100p, and like many of us here, have been following Willsonman's build closely (super excited to see that beautiful work of art take to the sky!). I had been looking for a way to have my own Bugatti without the major skills of willsonman or heavy resources (I'm not getting into balsa building, nor do I want to buy an expensive pre-built aircraft) and this hits the nail on the head for me perfectly in every way. On top of all that, I have a spare 1806 & esc ready to go! Actually, purely due to watching willsonman's build and his post about it - I've recently got into glassing. It's going well so far, it'll be fun to play with when I build my own Baby Bug!

Thanks Mid7night (and willsonman)! Can't wait for some video of flight testing!

You're welcome! I'm so glad with the response this is getting. If y'all don't mind peeking at the untested plans, I'll post the latest revision, if you want. The main things missing are a battery hatch and CG mark ...and a successful test. :p

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Q3001 said it! I look at Wilsonman's build and have be awe-struck... now I get to use motors I have and Build on of my very own! :) It also help show a friend about some of the great planes you can build with the A-Pack motors.

Thank you Mid7night. I can't wait to try this!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Motors arrived at home! But now I've been informed that it's swim time with the family. :p

I'll report back after I'm dried off ....and I get the motor installed. :D

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
FYI: Updated post #3 with latest build progress.

Aaaand had to hit it with a bit of blue spray
IMG_2975.jpg

In other good news, it only weighs 6oz ready to fly! Well, it probably weighs a little more after I painted it, but not by much. The blue really makes it. :cool:

It was a good evening of family craft time. :D
IMG_2964.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpg
    IMG_2969.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Q3001

Hahaha! That picture is priceless! That's what a kitchen table should look like - a family around it having fun, being silly, and working on things they love with each other! Bonus points for the FT t-shirt. :)

I'm seriously excited to build my Baby Bug, but I'm going to show great restraint (with the help of a busy work schedule) and wait until your build is all shored up and in the air before I start. I'm curious of flight tendencies, and will most likely throw on a spare MT2205 with a 5x4.5 on it and make it scream. 'Cuz it's a Bugatti race plane and why not.

Love the colour (*canadian/proper spelling*). Any chance you're willing to share the colour code/brand and shade of that paint as well? ;)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Love the blue and miss the days when our kitchen table looked like that. Managed to get DamoRc jnr (14) into the garage to help decorate the 160 inch monstrosity and we had a lot of fun, but that's a rare occurrence these days. Enjoy every second, they grow up way too fast.

DamoRC

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe Won't be long before its all electric guitars and asking dad for the car keys because gurls hold more interest then the planes. Looks like you guys had an awesome time together. Can't wait for the maiden video to see how this fly's. Been tracking Wilsonmans big "Bug" build thread (say that three times fast) anxiously awaiting that maiden as well.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Maiden success!! Out at lunch celebrating now... I'll post video later.

IMG_2984.JPG

One quick note: Remove the 3deg right thrust! It almost flat-turned on itself the first time I threw it. It flies great just straight.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hahaha! That picture is priceless! That's what a kitchen table should look like - a family around it having fun, being silly, and working on things they love with each other! Bonus points for the FT t-shirt. :)

I'm seriously excited to build my Baby Bug, but I'm going to show great restraint (with the help of a busy work schedule) and wait until your build is all shored up and in the air before I start. I'm curious of flight tendencies, and will most likely throw on a spare MT2205 with a 5x4.5 on it and make it scream. 'Cuz it's a Bugatti race plane and why not.

Love the colour (*canadian/proper spelling*). Any chance you're willing to share the colour code/brand and shade of that paint as well? ;)

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner...of course! The paint is just another thing I had from previous builds; it's Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel, #7724 "Sail Blue".

The wait is over! Get buildin'! It should definitely scream with that setup - it was pretty peppy even on my lightweight setup. I'll go into more detail when I post the maiden video...which is exporting as I type. :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Maiden Video!

She flew! 4 times! Well, technically the first toss ended a few seconds later because the 3°-right-thrust I put in the powerpod was overkill. Luckily she just belly flopped into some grass, no damage.

I cut into the powerpod, sliced out a little wedge just behind the motor mount, taped and secured it back together, and taadaa! Straight line thrust! The very next toss veered slightly to the left on launch, but I suspect this is largely due to the local crosswind, which was a bit from the left, as well as low speed P-factor. But once I got her up to speed and going, she tracked on RAILS. No bad tendencies to speak of ...just make sure you TURN DOWN YOUR RATES! :p

I cruised around between 50%-75% throttle for most of the flights, punching to WOT periodically, and it was just a joy to fly. And with my 950mAh 2S inside, I flew for about 8 minutes and only took the battery down to 47%. Not bad!

My power setup:

MT1806 2280Kv
Simonk 12A ESC
950mAh 2S lipo
5x5E prop

CG: 0.75 inches from LE (also marked on latest plans)

And finally, the video! I cut together clips from each flight, enjoy!

UPDATED, R4 PLANS: View attachment Baby_Bugatti_Plans_R4.pdf (also revised in first post)

earthsciteach

Congrats, man!!! Willsonman and I had a conversation about how brilliant your design in during a short road trip today. This is an awesome plane!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Congrats on the maiden! Seriously tempted to build one of these for FF west but I really need to get the Diamond plans and build finished. Do you think it would scale well to 30 - 40 inches?

DamoRC

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Congrats on the maiden! Seriously tempted to build one of these for FF west but I really need to get the Diamond plans and build finished. Do you think it would scale well to 30 - 40 inches?

DamoRC

I don't see why it wouldn't scale up well. The plans are pretty darn simple, so if you just photo-scaled everything, paying attention to edge-fold thicknesses (they shouldn't be scaled), it should build just the same. Probably be easier to set up even, with more room for everything. You might even have room for a rudder servo! :p