Best glue for Balsa?

RedOak84

What is the best glue to use for Balsa builds? I've used Testors Fast Drying Cement for Wood models with mixed results.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I use Titebond II, CA (thick and thin), epoxy (30 min), and canopy glue all on the same plane. Basically, I pick the glue to fit the application.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use CA for the quick place and hold work though it will fracture on impact most of the times.

Epoxy is ok but messy and can really degrade over time with UV exposure.

For really strong bonds, (Long term), I use a gorilla glue equivalent. Whilst it takes a lot longer to set/dry is has a penetration into the wood which is hard to beat. There is a trick though and that is to use less than you think necessary because if you use too much it will foam as it sets/dries and leave unsightly glue lumps everywhere.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I use Titebond II, CA (thick and thin), epoxy (30 min), and canopy glue all on the same plane. Basically, I pick the glue to fit the application.

I'll second this. Brands make no difference to me, with exception of Titebond II and Gorilla glue.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Have you tried Titebond III? Any reason not to use it?

I have not tried the Titebond III. It is more water proof, but I heard it is a little harder to work with. The Titebond II is a good compromise between the I and III, plus most builders prefer Titebond II from all the research on forums I have done. I really liked working with it and with the magnetic build system it gives you plenty of time to position parts before it sets up.