Blackout Mini Frames

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
So buy a Blackout frame and follow the instructions and you don't have to dink with metric to imperial!!!

Rock On!

kah00na

Blackout! I flew one of your Blackout Mini H quads! I've only flow larger tricopters and quadcopters before tonight. I met up with MidwestRob and he had the BO Hex and a BO H Quad. The Hex was way smaller than I imaged - even after seeing it on the FT video. It flew real smooth and I want one! I flew the Mini H quad for a couple of minutes and it is hard to believe that it flies as well as it does considering its size - I need one of these! Great frames!!

trigger

Ok, I ordered almost everything I need to build a Mini H Quad yesterday (went for a Naze32 FC and Sunnysky X2204 motors -- wanted to try those)... I spent way too much money for one month, but hey, in France, we have a saying : "Quand on aime, on ne compte pas", which could be translated to "Love does not count the cost" :)

Now I just need a 5.8GHz Tx (haven't decided if I go for a CE legal 25mW or a more powerful one), a set of antennas, and the frame itself. Hopefully it'll get back in stock soon.

Speaking of the frame, my quad will sport black and red colors.
Would it be possible to replace the blue LEDs that come on the power distribution board with red ones, using a standard soldering iron (with a small tip) ? I never tried to solder SMD components before...
If so, what kind of LEDs should I look for (specs, size, etc) ?
Thanks in advance

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Trigger, be VERY careful with the ESC and simonK FW choice with those 2204's. Using the wrong one's will cook your new SS's.

trigger

I got a set of HK Blue 12A ESCs, pre-flashed with SimonK version 2013-05-15. Which is, as far as I know, the recommanded ESC setup for the 2204's.

Got them from Drone Matters (they had the X2204's, the ESCs and Naze32 in stock). Shipped in less than 18 hours. So far, so good.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
That sounds perfect Trigger. I have the same ESC's preflashed from RTFQ and am having some issues though I suspect the FW didn't flash properly so am reflashing them.

baddox

Well this is unfortunate. I ordered Blackout's Tiger motors because I got lucky and caught some in stock. My intention was to use them on HobbyKing's $10 FPV250 airframe. Sadly, that airframe only works with much larger motor screw patterns. I don't have access to a 3D printer, laser cutter, or drill press, which are the only ways I can think of to mount these motors. So I bit the bullet and preordered a Blackout mini h quad frame! I'm annoyed that I'll have to wait indefinitely, but in the end it will be a much nicer rig.

baddox

Does anyone know if the center power pads on the front of the PDB, between the pair of ESCs pads, is any different than the ESC pads themselves, as far as how much current they can handle? If possible I'd like to hookup on ESC to the center pads, because the wiring works out a bit nicer if I do that. Thanks, I'm excited about this build!

Qq8m8BF.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-04-29 23.45.52.jpg
    2014-04-29 23.45.52.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

davet42

Really?! Blackout is from brizzy! AWESOME!!! :) That is so cool! I live in brizzy as you may have gathered from the enthusiasm!

How come when i order props from the blackout site its all USD? and shipped from USA by the looks of it?

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
That's because it's all a government conspiracy! :) So when are we going to meet up for a fly devet42?

I believe the center pads provide the same current of 12v as outside.

Last edited:

baddox

What are the LEDs supposed to be like on the newest version of the Blackout mini h quad PDB? On the top layer (where the ESC and video pads are), I've got two whites in the front and two reds in the back. On the bottom, I've got six whites in the front, five reds in the back (one isn't lit), two reds on the right side and two unlit ones on the left side. Using 1300mAh 3S nano-techs, both 25-50c and 45-90c. She flies perfectly and everything else is working fine, but the LEDs are clearly a bit messed up.

trigger

Received my Blackout Mini H a couple of days ago !
The LED pattern was almost exactly what I had in mind, so I almost didn't have to do anything regarding the SMD LEDs (I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but it was a happy surprise).
Started to build it, everything was going fine...

Until now.
I went on to wire my FPV setup. Couldn't get it to work, so I did quite a few test to try and isolate what was the problem.
In the end, I found out I had 3V on the video trace of the PDB...

After inspecting things closely, I couldn't find an obvious culprit, but earlier today, before assembling the frame, I did sand a bit the edge of the PDB, so that it didn't cut my ESC wires overtime.
I'm afraid I created a short while doing so...

Using the continuity/ohm test of my multimeter, I get a reading between video and +/- (several kΩ iirc). I also get an occasional reading while touching a video pad with one probe, and gently slide the other one over the edge of the PDB.

Now I am afraid that :
- I also shorted + and -
- I fried my vTx and camera
- I ruined my PDB

If anyone has a brilliant idea to help me figure out what to do / test next, I'd be very grateful...

davet42

Received my Blackout Mini H a couple of days ago !
The LED pattern was almost exactly what I had in mind, so I almost didn't have to do anything regarding the SMD LEDs (I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but it was a happy surprise).
Started to build it, everything was going fine...

Until now.
I went on to wire my FPV setup. Couldn't get it to work, so I did quite a few test to try and isolate what was the problem.
In the end, I found out I had 3V on the video trace of the PDB...

After inspecting things closely, I couldn't find an obvious culprit, but earlier today, before assembling the frame, I did sand a bit the edge of the PDB, so that it didn't cut my ESC wires overtime.
I'm afraid I created a short while doing so...

Using the continuity/ohm test of my multimeter, I get a reading between video and +/- (several kΩ iirc). I also get an occasional reading while touching a video pad with one probe, and gently slide the other one over the edge of the PDB.

Now I am afraid that :
- I also shorted + and -
- I fried my vTx and camera
- I ruined my PDB

If anyone has a brilliant idea to help me figure out what to do / test next, I'd be very grateful...

Hey umm, interesting predicament.

I just looked up the operating voltage of video signal, which appears to be under 1V.

Have you looked at some sort of circuit diagram for doing this wiring? Because my guess is somehow your led power circuit has entered your video signal.Oh wait they are labelled :S. Or you have mixed up the terminals. I wouldn't be completely hopeless as I have wired up a fair few things wrong and never burnt anything yet... Well actually just one thing... Components can surprise people with resilience. But it's important you don't hook it up again like that....

I would say you have not shorted positive and negative because when you plug a lipo in that, your gunna get a fire.... And if you had done that you DEFINATELY would smell toasted components.

I doubt that you ruined board by sanding some sharp edges, it would be a silly design to run traces so close to the edge. But make sure there is nothing physical sitting between terminals on the board (I'm sure you have already done that lol)

Now what I would do is unsolder your components and Quickly assemble them to test them off the board.

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Haha you tell me! I slope up at a place called montville :) I'm yet to fly locally in brisbane, are you in a club?

Yeah I know Montville well. I used to slope soar around that area a lot 10 years ago when I flew RC gliders though being from the GC area, Mt. Tambourine and Beechmont were where I used to go most often. That and a spot near Withcott for DS'ing.

I used to be in lots of clubs back then but now since I only fly a DLG and multi's I just fly on my own.