Bloody Baron - Build

jabbey71

Thanks for the info about the strap. Would it be best if the battery is inside the pod or underneath?
Still very early in the redesign process and I'm looking at a couple of different options right now. It's probably going to be a while. In the meantime, you could just make a 5 inch pod with a single tab, and add a velcro battery strap inside the fuse.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
if you make a short pod there is room to tuck the battery up in the fuse behind the pod.

jmiah007

Just some more food for thought Dan. I run Nerd Nicks 800mm power pod with the esc below and a couple of foam shims. Perfect amount of room for a 3s 2200. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

jmiah007

My next baron, the fuse will be narrowed so I don't need the shims, but this design has taken several gnarly crashes and a small amount of glue or tape and it's back in the air, so I may have to choose to retire this bird later..... Thanks again Dan, I love this plane!!!!!

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Battery in fuse/powerpod photo.

image.jpeg

Just got my Bloody Baron put together. After having a Champ and a Super Cub S, it was my third plane and my first scratch build. It was easy and fun. Definitely would recommend this as a first-build plane for other n00bs. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but am looking forward to getting it into the air.

TopLeft.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Just got my Bloody Baron put together. After having a Champ and a Super Cub S, it was my third plane and my first scratch build. It was easy and fun. Definitely would recommend this as a first-build plane for other n00bs. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but am looking forward to getting it into the air.

Congrats. It is a fun build for sure. Not overly fussy. Very direct with no fluff (except those trailing edge scallops which I like). Keep your deflection minimal. With full wing ailerons these can get away from a beginner quickly. And make sure you have some expo on your transmitter. You'll need it. :) Good luck and have fun!

jabbey71

Radio Setup

I've got my Bloody Baron built. I have the Spektrum DX61 radio. My question is when setting up the dual rates and expo what will a good setting point be for the high and low rates as far as the percents go for throws and the expos. Thanks.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I've got my Bloody Baron built. I have the Spektrum DX61 radio. My question is when setting up the dual rates and expo what will a good setting point be for the high and low rates as far as the percents go for throws and the expos. Thanks.

There should be a throw gauge in the plans or SBK that you can use to start. Worked well for a starting point for me.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yep, to start out with, try and set them to match the throw gage. After a few flights you can dial it in to what best suits your flying style.

mrwis@yahoo.com

Decided to put one of these together this weekend since we still have snow. Started last night and I'm about done already. Just need to glue on the wing. I don't have electronics free at present so I'll keep this as a backup frame until something frees up from one if my other builds. This is so easy a build and everything fits together so well. Cutting it is also a snap. Even the scalloped edges were pretty quick. Going out for some colored tape this afternoon. Thanks Dan for a great design. Bet I'll have a hard time just looking at it without the electronics.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Decided to put one of these together this weekend since we still have snow. Started last night and I'm about done already. Just need to glue on the wing. I don't have electronics free at present so I'll keep this as a backup frame until something frees up from one if my other builds. This is so easy a build and everything fits together so well. Cutting it is also a snap. Even the scalloped edges were pretty quick. Going out for some colored tape this afternoon. Thanks Dan for a great design. Bet I'll have a hard time just looking at it without the electronics.

This snow has got to stop eventually, right?

Thanks mrwis. When you do get to fly please report back and let me know how you like it.

JohnRambozo

The Twin Baron finally got out for a maiden. I'm using motors, escs and props from the Flite Test race quad combo pack on a 3S 2200mah battery. It flies great, even at 75% of the original size and the heavy battery all the way forward. The Bloody Baron is a great design and versatile, too!

JohnRambozo

Here is the maiden of my Bloody Baron. I need more practice. I landed it nose first.

Looked good, Danridge. The tail seemed to be hanging a little low at times. I thought it could be tail heavy but its hard to say in high winds. It didn't seem to do anything erratic right up until the end there. :)