C rating quick question

I have this battery of a multi rotor I built and it performs quite well!
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B013I9RLVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only gripe with this is that the flight times aren't the best as I am caring allot of weight on it (3 cameras plus a 3 axis gimbal). So I was searching around and found a substantially bigger battery for a similar price. The only key difference from what I can see is the "C" rating which is 25 instead of the 45 on the other battery. So what could I expect from this? Voltage drops, longer light times, less punch? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0711XG9MZ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35GESQNTB15AT

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Assuming the C ratings are close to honest:
1.300Ah x 45C = 58.5A max safe current draw for your smaller battery
2.200Ah x 25C = 55.0A max safe current draw for the new battery (900mah (69%) > capacity)

So you may have slightly less punch, slightly more weight, and roughly 50-60% more flight time. (time doesn't scale linear because of extra weight)

Cheers!
LitterBug

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Also note that more weight can decrease performance, since you’ll have the same amount of thrust. You can always increase battery capacity (mah), but at some point the increased weight will hurt your flight times more than the increased capacity.

rrc1962

It sounds like camera droned, so you shouldn't need the punch of a 45C. I'd go with the 2200 and more flight time.

French

So in your opinions do you recommend I buy another of the same battery or the larger one?
Not trying to suggest that the 2200 will hurt your flight times as I don’t know the details of your drone. I’m just suggesting that a heavy 5200 mah battery will not likely give you four times the flight time as a 1300 mah. I wanted to make sure you understood that flight time and mah isn’t a linear scale.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Without knowing the power draw on your equipment I can at least offer a general statement.

In choosing a battery with a lower C rating, you are by definition choosing one that cannot handle as much current as the one with the higher C rating. This might mean little if the draw remains low enough below the battery's ability to provide. On the other hand if a LiPo is subjected to demands it isn't designed to provide then substandard performance, heat, and puffiness are just the minor effects one might find.

I try to keep at least a 5 or 10C margin of error when pciking my components. Maybe if you provide some specifics about your motors & ESC's then recommendation more suitable for your situation can be made.

Maybe if you provide some specifics about your motors & ESC's then recommendation more suitable for your situation can be made.

I'm using 1806 2300KV motors which I thought at first would be way too small but are actually surprisingly powerful. I'm also using 20AMP SimonK escs. Also the props are 3-blade 5045 if that plays any role in this.

There is a vtx, 2 cameras, and a full brushless gimbal drawing power from the pdb as well and I feel like that might also come into play.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I don't think it would hurt to try. Like I stated above, you probably will loose a small amount of punch due to being slightly heavier and slightly lower max current draw rating, but you should have longer flight time.

Cheers!
LitterBug

French

Quickquestion, do you know the weight of the current drone without a battery (but with all the props and other items on)?

The 1806 motors on 3S and those props will likely output a total of ~1,600-1,800 grams of thrust. The 1300 you have is 121 grams. The 2200 you are looking at is 184 grams.

Last edited: